8baa39762a67e3d34b37aa7c49b94233.jpg

My throw n mow brassicas are finally starting to take off. This picture is of the half of the plot that was clover chicory. The other half (not pictured) was into last years rye. The rye seed germinated well and is out competing the brassicas for the most part.

There still should be plenty of food though the rye might just get to mature.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^that looks very good

I think that with the results I had with this plot I will continue to use the throw n mow technique. However, I also like to plant soybeans. I usually plant beans the spring following brassicas.

Has anyone been able to get a GOOD stand of beans using the throw n mow method? If so what did you plant them into?

This is my 2nd year of T&M I actually rolled this after the rye was ripe and then planted the brassicas
b8da27b28fd1d2f94da46e63322d5967.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

A little history on this plot to hopefully help anyone else looking at this method. This was an area that was a pine plantation and cut in 2014. The stumps are still there along with several small oaks. A lot of brush had started to grow plus there was a bunch of pine boughs laying everywhere. We had some bon fires and burned a lot of that junk. While we were doing that I had also sprayed Gly to kill most of the weeds and grass that was growing. I was trying to clear an acre but only got 1/2 of that done last year. So this year we cleared the other half the same way but left a bunch of small oaks that you see in the background. I planted Brassicas (Rape, Turnips, and GF Radishes) in the half that had the LC mix in last year and rolled over the rye as best as I could. There are still a lot of pine stumps but I don't care. I also planted the "new" 1/2 in the LC mix and they are both growing well. I did spread some Urea on the Brassicas a week ago and will probably hit them again. I have to say this was a pretty easy way to get a nice plot established and while it doesn't look pretty the deer are in there all the time. Also one of the small oaks is loaded with acorns this year. If you are looking to try this, it's pretty easy. I used my 4 wheeler, brush saw, and weed whip. I'm in NW Wisconsin for reference.

So I'm curious how old your brassica is. When did you plant this your brassica? It looks really good but us northerners (NY), generally get this stuff out in mid-late August. Yours looks like it was planted earlier than that or it's doing great.

Almost two weeks after planting, my Plot Screen is about 6-8" tall and I think it's because I was able to get my soil ph up to 6.8 this year (soil tests came back today) and a very wet summer.
8f854756fa32d6d9d95d6809f1722484.jpg
9bd274b816edb8d159537a278aef073f.jpg

The pistol was used as a reference for size comparison

Checked the sorghum and it's grown a good amount with all the rain we've had but it's in need of nitrogen. As much as I wanted to apply some, there's no rain in the forecast but if hurricane Irma hits anywhere near the Florida pan handle, we should see rain. If that's the case, I'll apply some 33-0-0 just before the rain. Pics taken today:
bee9751d80943efca5948a3fabd35bfb.jpg
b8935ee6eee85f8a59940c61b3de3b6a.jpg

I planted that on July 25th. We were supposed to get rain that day but it never happened. We got an inch of rain about a week later. Once it germinated I had some yellowing so I spread some urea on another day we were supposed to have rain, but it didn't We then got another 2" 3 or 4 days later so the urea didn't go to waste. Pretty happy with what I am seeing. I bought all my seed separately in bulk instead of the packages with the big bucks on them haha. I have been following LC's mix and it is paying it off. Pretty cool that he is still helping people out in the after life.
Chuck

So I'm curious how old your brassica is. When did you plant this your brassica? It looks really good but us northerners (NY), generally get this stuff out in mid-late August. Yours looks like it was planted earlier than that or it's doing great.

Not sure who you are referring to but, mine was planted July 30 or August 1. I don't recall for sure. It is on good mid western soil with a healthy dose of urea. I was hoping it would look better but we didn't get much for rain in August and thus the reason I planted when I did. I told myself I wasnt going to plant it until August 10 but the forecast said otherwise.

Last edited:
Here is the brassica plot right before I planted. Was hoping to get some free seed but still broadcast some rye with the brassicas
4f93f33ffdcbd1efd3faa276c8c25e35.jpg

Here is the brassica plot right before I planted. Was hoping to get some free seed but still broadcast some rye with the brassicas
4f93f33ffdcbd1efd3faa276c8c25e35.jpg

That is exactly what the south half of my plot looked like before planting. Today it looks like rye that was planted the same day. Not what I wanted but o well.

That is exactly what the south half of my plot looked like before planting. Today it looks like rye that was planted the same day. Not what I wanted but o well.
Is your brassicas growing good in the new rye?

Is it yellow or just a lack of rain?

Lack of fertilizer?

I put down plenty of fertilizer and you see what the other side of the same plot looks like above so i doubt its rain. I'm guessing its just competition for nutrients and moisture due to the thick stand of rye that is now growing there from last years over seeded beans.

Strange how plots have really lush areas and really crappy areas when it's essentially the same ground

Strange how plots have really lush areas and really crappy areas when it's essentially the same ground

The rye is plenty lush it's just not what I intended it to be.

Went out to spread winter rye today. This area was turnips over the winter, and I tried to frost seed red and crimson clover in the early spring. I waited and waited and waited but never did see any germination, ao the middle of June I broadcast peas and mowed off the broadleaf weeds that had come up, without spraying. Peas germinated fine, but had lots of crabgrass come in too. Started spraying today and was happily surprised.
20170907_121940.jpg

Looks like my clover finally came in, with the crabgrass providing cover for it. Went ahead and sprayed and broadcast my rye. Either the red clover makes a nice plot next spring, or it dies and provides good nitrogen for next falls brassicas.

Checked my brassica plot for signs of browsing and here's what I found.
20170907_113550.jpg

Why don't any food plot mixes include lambsquarter and ragweed?

Somebody did taste some rape and radish though.
20170907_124516.jpg

Here's the border of my plot, sunflowers and grass. Bumblebees and butterflies are working hard on it now. Once they mature and the birds wipe out the seeds, I'll spread rye there as well.
20170907_122136.jpg