Tootall....I would recommend also spreading some type of spring clover over the field the next time your there. In my area I'd use dixie crimson for what I'm talking about. It will give you some N credits next spring/summer after it terminates and help push out more summer growth. You could really stand for your thatch to be a little thicker. That is kind of on the front end of what is thick enough. About waist high or a little taller seems to be the sweet spot. Just offering constructive criticism....You could spread some N over the field in late spring or early summer as well if you wanted to do it that way. Keep us updated on your progress....it looks like it mowed down well.

Appreciate the input bud. Forgot to mention I actually had quite a bit of crimson and red clover growing in there from the past 2 years of frost seeding it. Seems to grow better each year so I assume it's putting a decent amount of N in the soil. Terminating the clover was another reason I sprayed(plus, if I'm not mistaken, dead clover puts even more N in the soil). If the rye doesn't germinate like I think it will, I'll frost seed again in February to get some good growth going in spring.

I cringe at the thought terminating clover....

but.....then again.....I have trouble even culling runt baby trees......

bill

Almost two weeks after planting, my Plot Screen is about 6-8" tall and I think it's because I was able to get my soil ph up to 6.8 this year (soil tests came back today) and a very wet summer.
8f854756fa32d6d9d95d6809f1722484.jpg
9bd274b816edb8d159537a278aef073f.jpg

The pistol was used as a reference for size comparison

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cringe at the thought terminating clover....

but.....then again.....I have trouble even culling runt baby trees......

bill

Wasn't easy for me either. LOL. Didn't have a ton of it though, so it was easier to justify. And I couldn't kill the grass and weeds without nuking it, so it had to go. :emoji_disappointed_relieved:

Almost two weeks after planting, my Plot Screen is about 6-8" tall

What are you planting this late for screens?
I guess the better question is where? Down south you probably have plenty of time.

What are you planting this late for screens?
I guess the better question is where? Down south you probably have plenty of time.

http://www.frigidforage.com/seed-blends/annual-blends/plot-screen-8-5-lb-1-2-acre/

FF recommends planting late spring/ early summer but I didn't want to plant until I was able to let my lime work into the soil (my ph is naturally about 4.5 so that was a no-go) so I didn't feel comfortable planting until 2 weeks ago. My soil test came back today with a ph of 6.25 so it was a good decision (I hope). My lease is in south Mississippi and we have received a much higher than average amount of rainfall this summer so I'm sure that helped tremendously.

http://www.frigidforage.com/seed-blends/annual-blends/plot-screen-8-5-lb-1-2-acre/

FF recommends planting late spring/ early summer but I didn't want to plant until I was able to let my lime work into the soil (my ph is naturally about 4.5 so that was a no-go) so I didn't feel comfortable planting until 2 weeks ago. My soil test came back today with a ph of 6.25 so it was a good decision (I hope). My lease is in south Mississippi and we have received a much higher than average amount of rainfall this summer so I'm sure that helped tremendously.

You're probably good in S. Mississippi. Plenty of growing time left. Don't buy that stuff anymore though. You can get a 50lb bag of Sudan sorghum, sudex grass, my favorite is Red top king sorghum if I can find it, for about $20. It grows just as high. Save the left over in a sealed plastic trash can and use the following year. I've stored and used sorghum for up to 3 years. Miscanthus is a permenant screen solution if it's going to be in the same place every year.

You're probably good in S. Mississippi. Plenty of growing time left. Don't buy that stuff anymore though. You can get a 50lb bag of Sudan sorghum, sudex grass, my favorite is Red top king sorghum if I can find it, for about $20. It grows just as high. Save the left over in a sealed plastic trash can and use the following year. I've stored and used sorghum for up to 3 years. Miscanthus is a permenant screen solution if it's going to be in the same place every year.

Yes, after buying it, I started reading threads where people were planting different types of sorghums and realized that I paid waaaaay too much for the PS but it was a new concept that fit well for the purpose that I wanted it for so I jumped on it, but I appreciate the advice.

Edit: I'm going to look into the miscanthus because it will be in the same spot every year

Last edited:
Yes, after buying it, I started reading threads where people were planting different types of sorghums and realized that I paid waaaaay too much for the PS but it was a new concept that fit well for the purpose that I wanted it for so I jumped on it, but I appreciate the advice.

Edit: I'm going to look into the miscanthus because it will be in the same spot every year

http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?posts/146030/

Photobucket killed my first few pics. I need to fix that. But the info is still good.

Check out jbirds land tour thread towards the end. He's growing it in pots this year. In three years he will have Permanent screens.

http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?posts/146030/

Photobucket killed my first few pics. I need to fix that. But the info is still good.

Check out jbirds land tour thread towards the end. He's growing it in pots this year. In three years he will have Permanent screens.

That's some impressive Screen; looks pretty easy to get started and maintain.

That's some impressive Screen; looks pretty easy to get started and maintain.

Weed control the first year is about all it needs. By the second or third growing year all you have to do is watch it grow.

My throw and roll first attempt worked ok. I have great thatch and have good germination, but only in the middle of the two plots. I over seeded rye into the weak areas this weekend

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

5b6ca6512510693fd3f195629718dd44.jpg
52915a336dbb1270803225434f79257a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Looks a lot better than my T&M attempt. We dont have any rain in the forecast for the next couple of weeks. I was planning on doing 2 T&M plots but im thinking that without any rain in the forecast it would be a waste of seed.

e53ce373018b3040091857b2d6ae761e.jpg
a70c64d67748ff13cd2dda6583e6f487.jpg

Throw n' mow WW and WR into last years soybeans that were over seeded with WR in late August.

There was a slight chance for rain yesterday afternoon so I figured I give it a shot. It didnt amount to much but it did rain a bit while I was mowing so time will tell.

I didn't spray, just seeded and mowed. Not to concerned with weeds in a cereal plot. I seeded aprox. 50# in what I would guess is a 1/3 of an acre plus the mature rye from last year that will germinate like crazy after a good mowing.

I drove past my Throw n' Mow brasica plot at a distance (because it was around 7 pm) I didnt see any deer using it but it did look to be filling in nicely. I'll check it out and take pics on Saturday after planting my last plot of the year. Sure will be nice to be done planting. I guess there will still be fertilizer to apply on my throw and mow plots but that will also be rain dependent. Thankfully the co-op, work, home, and the farm are all within 10 miles.

Last edited:
Nice!....The only thing you really got to worry about with not spraying is if there's a bunch of grass. The other stuff will terminate but grass will bounce back until you get a freeze.

3 different plots. 1 is on a hill top. Sprayed then came back and seeded and cultipacker. Next one was along a creek at the bottom of a ridge. Sprayed then seeded and mowed same day as ridge top. Last one is at the end of a pasture field on a different farm. Sprayed and then came back day after planted other 2 and disked. Meant to seed that day but after hitting 2 yellow jackets nests, I decided to give them time to calm down. Went back the next evening to seed and cultipacked. Was trying to get all these finished before some rain came in that never showed. First two plots are 11 days in with no rain. Was really surprised with germination I had. Disked plot was 9 days in with no rain. A little bit of germination but nothing compared to the other two.
a174b378483520fa5acdae5c45c93618.jpg
4681738c0406bd59a08e6e26d507447b.jpg
19892a0b40c817a59ff78d372aabf48a.jpg
c3eb5fb263603fa888c88eb61f580dfe.jpg
76154a8800f578d8b078ab13ddd3aaa7.jpg
f306668bf37e497780663a82d7188ca3.jpg
62a0152457d83028ba4090f1b16d78dd.jpg
201ab7673adfa369c064f72d50bf58f5.jpg
888dac1157286d6b2d4484d1fed87fdf.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Put out the throw and mow plot today. The grass in the plot was over knee high, with broadleafs up to shoulder and head height above it. I also spread about 200 pounds of lime, which I know it's a little late but better late than never.
5ed5acd246da00297941e8d69bb92682.jpg

I also found two small Mexican plum trees, one of which was dropping plums like crazy!
88d54302d2544e0ee3f2f0b3ae064c49.jpg

IMG_3807.JPG IMG_3840.JPG IMG_3843.JPG IMG_3844.JPG

Here are 2 or my recent T&M plots. One was sprayed and planted on the 22nd and the other was sprayed earlier and planted around the 24th. These plots are WR, Radishes, and Soybeans. Have had 2 good rainfalls since planting.

Well definitely need to get more rye out this fall. BW & peas are long gone from my plot. Dog fennel,grapevine & sweetgums are trying to take where I had widened the plot earlier in the year. Think a heavy mix of gly will suffice? Or should I try 2,4d?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro