All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stock Market is the bottom in?

I think after being in crypto for awhile has made me numb to 1.5% dips.

I know this goes against this thread, but timing the market is a fools errand. I'm sure there have been a couple of folks that have done well, but most people that do this for a living don't beat the S&P (on a long enough timeline). There is no shortage of research articles documenting this. I'm not trying to tell anybody how to spend their money, but I just think it's worth repeating. Dollar cost averaging is a proven strategy. It's boring but effective.

Timing is important I believe. Time your buy in when the price is down seems to make sense. That also helps to lower your average price paid. You are in crypto so we are in two different worlds as far as investing. I don't even believe in crypto. jmho

Ditto Hoyt. Kinda kills the purpose of this thread, but even the pros can't see into the future, and say so. Like everyone else, I've dipped my toe into the stock market, with some spectacular wins, and some equally spectacular misses. At the end of the day, do what Hoyt does and enjoy a spectacular retirement! Minus the crypto of course.

I know this goes against this thread, but timing the market is a fools errand. I'm sure there have been a couple of folks that have done well, but most people that do this for a living don't beat the S&P (on a long enough timeline). There is no shortage of research articles documenting this. I'm not trying to tell anybody how to spend their money, but I just think it's worth repeating. Dollar cost averaging is a proven strategy. It's boring but effective.

First stock I ever bought for myself for the long haul was Lucid Motors. I paid $32/share in round 1. Then I watched that SOB plummet all spring and into the summer and kept buying along the way headed into this fall. My last buy was around $20, and I got my overall price down to right around $25/ share for everything I have. Currently trading at $40, has been as high as $60+. Multi year investment for me, and I'm feeling immune to 10-20% swings in one day. Come back and talk to me in 2-5 years. I feel electric vehicles/ technology have the potential to replace the internal combustion engine much like electricity replaced kerosene as a light source over 100 years ago. I might be wrong, but its a risk I am willing to take. I have no ability to time the market.

Ditto Hoyt. Kinda kills the purpose of this thread, but even the pros can't see into the future, and say so. Like everyone else, I've dipped my toe into the stock market, with some spectacular wins, and some equally spectacular misses. At the end of the day, do what Hoyt does and enjoy a spectacular retirement! Minus the crypto of course.
I'm young, so I can tolerate the crazy swings in crypto. For what it's worth, I think bitcoin and ethereum are not going to have the 80% swings that they have historically seen. I am still very bullish on both, but I think it is still a long term investment. If anyone wants some exposure to the crypto market without actually owning the coins, there are funds that give you that chance. I have invested in a few of them in my Roth IRA, as well as some American and Canadian crypto mining companies. I'd also be more than happy to provide any resources on cryptocurrencies or the funds if anyone is interested.

I'm young, so I can tolerate the crazy swings in crypto. For what it's worth, I think bitcoin and ethereum are not going to have the 80% swings that they have historically seen. I am still very bullish on both, but I think it is still a long term investment. If anyone wants some exposure to the crypto market without actually owning the coins, there are funds that give you that chance. I have invested in a few of them in my Roth IRA, as well as some American and Canadian crypto mining companies. I'd also be more than happy to provide any resources on cryptocurrencies or the funds if anyone is interested.

Regarding crypto, I offer this assessment as something to think about, nothing more.

Businesses create value and income. Stock offers the opportunity to purchase a portion of the company to participate in the profits. These are investments. Crypto on the other hand, does not create anything of value. You’re simply betting the next guy will being willing to pay more for something than you paid. These are bets. Betting 1.5% of your funds is fine. Investing the other 98.5% is indeed boring, but wise.

Regarding crypto, I offer this assessment as something to think about, nothing more.

Businesses create value and income. Stock offers the opportunity to purchase a portion of the company to participate in the profits. These are investments. Crypto on the other hand, does not create anything of value. You’re simply betting the next guy will being willing to pay more for something than you paid. These are bets. Betting 1.5% of your funds is fine. Investing the other 98.5% is indeed boring, but wise.
With all due respect, you haven't read enough on crypto if you think cryptos are nothing more than a store of value or a Ponzi scheme. I can't imagine giving financial advice on something I know almost nothing about.

There are countries either already or in the process of using a crypto as an official currency. There are corporations building completely new operational infrastructure on crypto Blockchains. Corporations are keeping it on their balance sheets. Smart contracts and distributed ledgers are going to change how businesses handle transactions. The largest funds, including Black Rock, are buying coins and investing in mining companies.

It's far more complicated than that. Some of it is just gambling, yes. However, there are some good bets to make. MRO was a good bet when it was $4. I should have sold it at $17, but how could I know? I sold half of mine at $16 and put it into GLD.

Edit to be more precise: I could have made more money at $17, but it's wrong to say "should have sold".

With all due respect, you haven't read enough on crypto if you think cryptos are nothing more than a store of value or a Ponzi scheme. I can't imagine giving financial advice on something I know almost nothing about.

There are countries either already or in the process of using a crypto as an official currency. There are corporations building completely new operational infrastructure on crypto Blockchains. Corporations are keeping it on their balance sheets. Smart contracts and distributed ledgers are going to change how businesses handle transactions. The largest funds, including Black Rock, are buying coins and investing in mining companies.

If you read my opening line, you see I am simply offering an opinion, nothing more. However, I do stand by them. My opinion was formed by serious investigation in to crypto and bitcoin mining. I concluded that this industry does not dovetail with my personal interests or objectives, so I moved on from it. While I chose not to participate in this space, I have no problem if you do. Good luck.

Last edited:
I know this goes against this thread, but timing the market is a fools errand.

I agree 100%. Except in March of 2020 (edit, that was 2019, can’t believe the crap is still going on) when the market took an absolute crazy dive for something the world knew nothing about.

I took cash off the sideline then and jumped in while the nervous were jumping out. First time in my investing life I’ve seen or done anything like it. My only mistake was only putting in 1/4 of the cash on the side in. I should have jumped with both feet.

I doubt an opportunity like that will appear again for a while. At least I hope it won’t anyway…

Last edited:
I agree 100%. Except in March of 2020 when the market took an absolute crazy dive for something the world knew nothing about.

I took cash off the sideline then and jumped in while the nervous were jumping out. First time in my investing life I’ve seen or done anything like it. My only mistake was only putting in 1/4 of the cash on the side in. I should have jumped with both feet.

I doubt an opportunity like that will appear again for a while. At least I hope it won’t anyway…
My approach is do the opposite of what everyone else is doing/buying.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Lee… so can you give an example ?

My approach is do the opposite of what everyone else is doing/buying.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Sometimes a good idea and sometimes not. You don’t want to miss out out on a huge bull run when everything is melting up. Getting out as the markets are raging would be unwise.

Your personal timeline / future plays an important role in investing ideas - or it should. Younger people can afford to take riskier bets on the markets - whatever kind - because they have more years to recover from any mistakes. Older people - as a general rule - don't take big risky bets when they have less years to recover from missteps. I agree with Apple Junkie in post #1166 above when he said perhaps betting 1.5% of your money on a high-flyer is OK - but investing the other 98.5% is a wise move. Betting is not investing. Investing has been regarded as a long-term move for decades. Day-trading and betting on the "latest / greatest" are more short-term plays, generally speaking. Would anyone here bank their retirement and/or college nest eggs on day-trading or today's high flyers or speculative investments such as crypto??

I suppose one could throw some money at a "crypto-type" thing, or a new, cutting-edge technology such as Buck did with his electric vehicle investment. (I think Buck's right about electric vehicles replacing many gassers!!) MOST financial advisors recommend putting a SMALL slice of what they call "play money" into such things - so you don't lose big if it doesn't pan out. They advise only putting in as much money as you can afford to lose.

Been a dollar-cost averager for decades. Reinvested the divs & interest. The long-term market trend is UP, despite periodic dips and dives. Check the graphs from the year 1900 to now. We never bailed out when everyone else was in a panic - we either added to our investments on big dips / crashes (1987 & 2007-2008) - or just waited and rode the subsequent upswing for more gains.

"A rolling stone gathers no moss" does not apply to a nest-egg with gains reinvested over the long haul. " ........ witness the miracle of compounding over time ........ "- - - - Bogle.

AT&T. Has it reached bottom - any up side. The dividend is pretty attractive

Your personal timeline / future plays an important role in investing ideas - or it should. Younger people can afford to take riskier bets on the markets - whatever kind - because they have more years to recover from any mistakes. Older people - as a general rule - don't take big risky bets when they have less years to recover from missteps. I agree with Apple Junkie in post #1166 above when he said perhaps betting 1.5% of your money on a high-flyer is OK - but investing the other 98.5% is a wise move. Betting is not investing. Investing has been regarded as a long-term move for decades. Day-trading and betting on the "latest / greatest" are more short-term plays, generally speaking. Would anyone here bank their retirement and/or college nest eggs on day-trading or today's high flyers or speculative investments such as crypto??

I suppose one could throw some money at a "crypto-type" thing, or a new, cutting-edge technology such as Buck did with his electric vehicle investment. (I think Buck's right about electric vehicles replacing many gassers!!) MOST financial advisors recommend putting a SMALL slice of what they call "play money" into such things - so you don't lose big if it doesn't pan out. They advise only putting in as much money as you can afford to lose.

Been a dollar-cost averager for decades. Reinvested the divs & interest. The long-term market trend is UP, despite periodic dips and dives. Check the graphs from the year 1900 to now. We never bailed out when everyone else was in a panic - we either added to our investments on big dips / crashes (1987 & 2007-2008) - or just waited and rode the subsequent upswing for more gains.

"A rolling stone gathers no moss" does not apply to a nest-egg with gains reinvested over the long haul. " ........ witness the miracle of compounding over time ........ "- - - - Bogle.
This^^^^^^^^^^

..........This is not that hard

bill

I can't for the life of me figure that one out. I thought it was a steal at $40 when it was yielding 5%. I have always stayed away from it because of the high yield (been handed my shorts on every stock that yielded north of 5% with the exception of oil majors). There is something there preventing that dividend yield from being bid away. I can't believe it's fallen as much as it has. A rising rate environment won't be good for that valuation either.

I don’t know exactly ? I think the Direct TV loss of customers and their debt was an issue? I don’t know why it’s cheap now ?