Still Holding Antlers

Still holding here.

My crazy deer are still fighting:

AQMg8WQ.jpg

I think they drop at alot of different times depending on health,part of country,stress and other issues thats why I wait till no antlers on camera.In SC Kansas I would say over 95% still are carrying but I found a fresh shed a week ago yesterday

This one is asking for help to find the other half of his rack. Moved the cam but didn't wreck it...

Just pulled cards at home last night. All still holding.

Based on feedback, seems like a year where they're holding a little later. Probably about prime dropping time now, though. These 3 had full racks on 2/9 and I also have pics of sparring that didn't knock antlers off.

IMG_0553.JPG

Based on feedback, seems like a year where they're holding a little later. Probably about prime dropping time now, though. These 3 had full racks on 2/9 and I also have pics of sparring that didn't knock antlers off.

View attachment 28026
Good lord, that’s a dandy on the left! And the other two ain’t nothin to sneeze at!

He's actually the deer in my post #18 of this thread. Can't believe he made it thru 3.5 months of seasons. We tried hard to leave him places to feel comfortable this year. Just the sniper season to go. I love your pic with the buck by the firewood. What camera did you use?

Reactions: DJN

View attachment 28026

Mort,

Looking at that crabclaw... thats gotta be the buck you and you kid found on the cutline last year!?!?! What a monster he turned into WOW!!

***Oh.... sorry I see you just pointed that out... Good luck finding him this year. those antlers have to be 80"+ easy...

He's actually the deer in my post #18 of this thread. Can't believe he made it thru 3.5 months of seasons. We tried hard to leave him places to feel comfortable this year. Just the sniper season to go. I love your pic with the buck by the firewood. What camera did you use?
Camera is nothing special but it works well for a non-tech guy like me. Nikon Coolpix P900 point and shoot. User friendly and a good zoom (up to 83x optically if I remember right). The Mrs. uses it a lot more than me and gets some pretty neat stuff just in the backyard like this guy losing his velvet. 5057572D-F7DE-48DC-B5A0-42DCFD5712B9.jpeg8D99670E-2F04-44A1-B88A-C7516725766E.jpeg

Last edited:
Camera is nothing special but it works well for a non-tech guy like me. Nikon Coolpix P900 point and shoot. User friendly and a good zoom (up to 83x digitally if I remember right). The Mrs. uses it a lot more than me and gets some pretty neat stuff just in the backyard like this guy losing his velvet. View attachment 28028View attachment 28027
What kind of range can you get with that camera? For instance; how far away is the buck shedding velvet? I would like to get good pics at a 100 - 150yds... don't know crap about camera's though.

What kind of range can you get with that camera? For instance; how far away is the buck shedding velvet? I would like to get good pics at a 100 - 150yds... don't know crap about camera's though.
Well that one was at a range of approximately 15 yards. Lol One of the semi-tame city deer in the yard. The buck by the firewood (in post #40) is about 45-50 yards. I’ll dig through some pics to find some that are a little more indicative of what it’s like at a good distance, but we’ve been very happy with it.

Well that one was at a range of approximately 15 yards. Lol One of the semi-tame city deer in the yard. The buck by the firewood (in post #40) is about 45-50 yards. I’ll dig through some pics to find some that are a little more indicative of what it’s like at a good distance, but we’ve been very happy with it.
Thanks!

Couldn’t find a good representation so I just went out on the front porch and took a few. The brick building is approximately 600-650 yards away according to Google maps. My rangefinder does 550 and it was beyond that. The third pic is at the top of what is the standard 83x optical zoom, and the last is maxed out digital zoom - things tend to get blurred, hazy and grainy.6AD24202-19B0-4475-81CB-9A221B12771E.jpegFCD6B583-E06D-49DC-82BC-19F2C6DBDD34.jpeg93FEF3BA-813C-4E81-A494-41C8EEB6F9CE.jpegE1DD7802-4499-45B3-AFB7-C2A3AF5D2C15.jpeg
I would have zero qualms about recommending this camera. Easy to use (decent number of settings available, but I usually stick to the “auto” setting, or switched to landscape setting for these to get the digital zoom) and a dedicated video button so no messing with anything if you want a video instead of photo.

Sorry for hijacking the thread!!

Last edited:
Megazoom's are awesome and couldn't imagine life without one at my place. As an idea how close they'll get you to wildlife, I filmed this egret grabbing a small fish...

81993886_10221312356733900_3875348484374659072_o.jpg

And captured the footage from this ACTUAL distance -- minuscule white dot that's dead center and barely visible in the middle is the egret!

82271100_10221312358053933_1924847919358279680_o.jpg

Above shared, anybody wanting one should know most fixed lens megazoons come with a few drabacks... first, beyond a certain distance haze, heat waves, etc, are an issue regardless of zoom range, and you better either have a rock-solid tripod or steady hand and a window-frame to rest against for half-sharp photos / vids... and as relates to sharpness, the stronger the light the sharper the photos will be. Photos / vids taken at low-light dusk and dawn at long distances get REALLY grainy.

As for bucks holding (and photos taken from the house), most of mine are still holding though few spikes have dropped single sides.

Split Ear 8.jpg

Above shared, anybody wanting one should know most fixed lens megazoons come with a few drabacks... first, beyond a certain distance haze, heat waves, etc, are an issue regardless of zoom range, and you better either have a rock-solid tripod or steady hand and a window-frame to rest against for half-sharp photos / vids... and as relates to sharpness, the stronger the light the sharper the photos will be. Photos / vids taken at low-light dusk and dawn at long distances get REALLY grainy.
Agree, agree, agree!!!

Megazoom's are awesome and couldn't imagine life without one at my place. As an idea how close they'll get you to wildlife, I filmed this egret grabbing a small fish...

View attachment 28035

And captured the footage from this ACTUAL distance -- minuscule white dot that's dead center and barely visible in the middle is the egret!

View attachment 28036

As for bucks holding (and photos taken from the house), most of mine are still holding though few spikes have dropped single sides.

View attachment 28038
Help me out here... I'm guessing "megazoom" is a general term for a certain zoom. Or, is it a term associated with the P900 recommended above?

Help me out here... I'm guessing "megazoom" is a general term for a certain zoom. Or, is it a term associated with the P900 recommended above?
Using the term somewhat loosely for any fixed-lens "megazooms" on the market... as long as they are fixed-lens (not interchangeable lenses) that are of the point-and-shoot variety they're going to have the same general limitations as relates to fixed / small sensor sizes that struggle with low light. And I'm not advocating they aren't awesome... just that they do have few weaknesses while also awesome abilities. They're WAY cheaper than higher-end DSLRs with purchased long-lenses as well. The P900 model DJN referenced can be picked up for about $400. Buy a stand-alone lens with the same abilities as his P900 to go on a DSLR and you can easily pay in the $5,000 to $10,000 range.

Also meant to make the point that once you get to the 65x zoom level or so, REGARDLESS of camera type heat-waves, tripod steadiness, etc, become an issue. Great thing is that as long as you understand the weaknesses and can live with them, you can capture some crazy long shots for just a few Benjamins -- something that wasn't possible until the last decade or so.