Still Holding Antlers

Using the term somewhat loosely for any fixed-lens "megazooms" on the market... as long as they are fixed-lens (not interchangeable lenses) that are of the point-and-shoot variety they're going to have the same general limitations as relates to fixed / small sensor sizes that struggle with low light. And I'm not advocating they aren't awesome... just that they do have few weaknesses while also awesome abilities. They're WAY cheaper than higher-end DSLRs with purchased long-lenses as well. The P900 model DJN referenced can be picked up for about $400. Buy a stand-alone lens with the same abilities as his P900 to go on a DSLR and you can easily pay in the $5,000 to $10,000 range.

Also meant to make the point that once you get to the 65x zoom level or so, REGARDLESS of camera type heat-waves, tripod steadiness, etc, become an issue. Great thing is that as long as you understand the weaknesses and can live with them, you can capture some crazy long shots for just a few Benjamins -- something that wasn't possible until the last decade or so.

I take a lot of pics with my phone (Note 9) attached to a cheap spotting scope. I love the zoom on it but they aren't quality by any means. I would love to have a more clear or crisp image than what I'm getting. I've considered buying a better spotting scope, or something like the P900 DJN brought up. I won't spend a lot of money. $500 is probably my limit. Suggestions?

I've considered buying a better spotting scope, or something like the P900 DJN brought up. I won't spend a lot of money. $500 is probably my limit. Suggestions?
Catscratch, with apologies for derailing the thread a bit I'll do my best to answer. The good news is the majority of good point and shoot megazooms fall right around $500 or under.

I've mainly bought / used Canons since moving to my place in 2014. The vast majority of pics shared in my somewhat photo-focused land tour thread were taken with a Canon SX50 and a Canon SX60.

http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/my-florida-destiny.5996/

A few months ago I got the itch to go even higher / bigger zoom with the Nikon P1000 that has an INSANE 125x optical zoom. Nothing against Nikon, but the P1000 is just TOO much. Its MUCH larger / heavier than the Canon and even P900... to the point of being far less practical. It's annoyingly big / cumbersome to carry, gives my tripod fits trying to keep it still (it's THAT heavy), and the extra zoom it buys you is at the distances that heat wave, haze, etc become an issue. Here's a pic that compares the SX60 to the P1000 but with the lens extended it's even far more dramatic.

42cffc9331e564a29dbbf6bf9e655887.jpg

The current Canon SX option is the SX70. It's a bit smaller and lighter than the P900. That said both are great options. Lumix has some camera superzoom options worth reading up on too.

Catscratch, with apologies for derailing the thread a bit I'll do my best to answer. The good news is the majority of good point and shoot megazooms fall right around $500 or under.

I've mainly bought / used Canons since moving to my place in 2014. The vast majority of pics shared in my somewhat photo-focused land tour thread were taken with a Canon SX50 and a Canon SX60.

http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/my-florida-destiny.5996/

A few months ago I got the itch to go even higher / bigger zoom with the Nikon P1000 that has an INSANE 125x optical zoom. Nothing against Nikon, but the P1000 is just TOO much. Its MUCH larger / heavier than the Canon and even P900... to the point of being far less practical. It's annoyingly big / cumbersome to carry, gives my tripod fits trying to keep it still (it's THAT heavy), and the extra zoom it buys you is at the distances that heat wave, haze, etc become an issue. Here's a pic that compares the SX60 to the P1000 but with the lens extended it's even far more dramatic.

View attachment 28040

The current Canon SX option is the SX70. It's a bit smaller and lighter than the P900. That said both are great options. Lumix has some camera superzoom options worth reading up on too.
Thanks for the feedback and info! I'll do some research. Probably be good for me to find a shop that has them in stock so that I can actually get a feel for them.

And thanks for the link to your thread; nice reminder as to how nice your place is. It's beautiful down there! I would love to get pics like that.

I'm really impressed you guys are getting those super high quality looking photos with affordable point and shoot cameras. I wouldn't have expected that to be the case. I honestly didn't even realize that style camera was still relevant with the advancements of phone cams. Guess I haven't been in a Best Buy in years. Thanks for the pointers.

Reactions: DJN
vtfHC5Q.jpg

aZyVViT.jpg

I haven’t found a fresh shed yet, with over 40 miles of scouting....
Jumped 3 hound bucks this morning still holding antlers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mostly still holding here..fighting a bit even.

I’ve been out 5-6 times, put on a lot of miles and found two deadhead forkhorns and zero sheds. Granted I’m doing more scouting than shed hunting, and conditions have been far from ideal (sloppy and sunny), but if there were many out there, good chance I’d step on at least ONE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting closer,pic above is first ones I ever have had that showed a buck shedding

So thankful for the cams..otherwise I'd be wasting my time looking for sheds.

Attachments

• STC_0014.JPG
    STC_0014.JPG
    455.6 KB · Views: 24
  • STC_0072.JPG
    STC_0072.JPG
    430.5 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Around here, bucks drop their antlers anywhere from late December to late April. Years ago, there was a big buck around here that people got on trail camera a lot at backyard feeding sites. He dropped his antlers on the same day of the year three years in a row.

Around here, bucks drop their antlers anywhere from late December to late April. Years ago, there was a big buck around here that people got on trail camera a lot at backyard feeding sites. He dropped his antlers on the same day of the year three years in a row.

The ones I've been posting are from SE WI. A 2 hour drive north and all the pics and videos I'm getting- they've all lost 'em 2+ weeks ago. Crazy how that is.

We are about 50%in kansas found 2 more little ones in food plot yesterday

Reactions: DJN
Checked trailcams today. Still mostly holding on my place.