Small cabin for the farm

How big is that rock 4" minus? Does it settle into the mud well?
i had a crossing put in on a seasonal creek and they used rock that size. My excavator guy said 6 inches of that crushed rock that's 4" makes a good base. Seems to pack down well and the water flows right over it without eroding. I think that's a perfect first layer on wet areas and and smaller gravel could be added on top once it settles.

Great looking setup Weasel.

Weasel,

You are a man that makes things happen & in a hurry. I like the addition of the outdoor building - a great buy. I like the water collection system too. This thread is a great read.

Congrats to you and best of luck on the upcoming hunting season.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the compliments & input.

I started framing out the bathroom addition the other day. It worked out to be just over 8'x6', good size for a shower, sink & toilet.

My neighbor had a pile of lumber left behind by the contractors that built his house. Most of them were 2x12x16 and he was talking about cutting them up & getting rid of them. I offered to buy the whole pile but he was so happy to hear I could use them, and get them out of his way, that he refused to take the cash I offered him. More free material!

There's not a lot of need for that size lumber, probably why they were left behind, but I soon realized a long rip cut down the middle would get me two 2x6x16s, perfect floor joists since I would be using the 2x12s as wide flooring.

Plastic & gravel were put down and I began ripping out 2x6s.

B28299EA-E452-4317-ABD1-9EC1271C894C.jpg

2x6 end joists were leveled and attached followed by a rim joist and the rest of floor joists.

3D1688F3-A55A-4BE4-8A92-2C4ABA32594D.jpg

Last edited:
The 2x12s sure fill up the space quickly.

692074ED-4FB6-4FE2-A22D-5395FE610F3C.jpg

FA5F8AE0-5EF0-4A36-907B-34CDE4826407.jpg

I will start framing the walls out on the next trip up.

99A38B85-7AAB-4D2E-8D99-A606B5887306.jpg

As I said previously, "... and in a hurry." You just keep improving the place. Thanks for sharing.

My neighbor had a pile of lumber left behind by the contractors that built his house. Most of them were 2x12x16 and he was talking about cutting them up & getting rid of them. I offered to buy the whole pile but he was so happy to hear I could use them, and get them out of his way, that he refused to take the cash I offered him. More free material!
Man, that's a nice neighbor! That cabin looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I said previously, "... and in a hurry." You just keep improving the place. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks wbp, appreciate you following along.

More incentive to get the bathhouse done, Ecotemp on-demand hot water shower unit & Flojet water system pump arrived in the mail. This is going to make deer camp really cozy.

074F9740-626E-4C4D-BF25-59B3F36BEA7A.jpg

Everything is looking good weasel.

Weasel,

With that addition I am still seeing a sauna ha ha. With your wood stove just on the other side of the wall, it is the best way to keep stones hot and then move them to you sauna, pour water over the rocks and you have a sauna! Ha Ha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Managed to get a little further on the bathroom addition. Got the walls all framed out. It's just about ready for plywood and siding.

475ACACF-95A1-44D3-B6DA-02D16BE2102D.jpg

764DBFD8-9B5D-469C-AAE7-60A11B4FB7C2.jpg

Pretty straightforward but time consuming when you are ripping free 2x12x16s into dimensions that you need.

06A9DA48-8D4A-4A7F-92E7-87C1CFBC1619.jpg

Stove pipe flashing showed up this week. I should be able to at least get the bathroom dried in this weekend.

3CA7C21B-FFD2-48D9-8D3D-1E954B774155.jpg

I installed some gutter filters too, every little bit helps when you're catching rain water. I plan on adding a first flush diverter as well to divert the first few gallons of dirty water when the rain starts. Lots of great info here on setting up a rainwater cistern: Rainwater harvesting

CB126009-D7D9-4893-96CB-FDC07512A4F8.jpg

OOOOO I like the gutter filters - gonna look into that!!

I assume you will drain your cistern for winter?

OOOOO I like the gutter filters - gonna look into that!!

I would also look at a product called Gutter Guard. A little pricy, but stainless mesh. I've about convinced my dad to use them for a rainwater catchment system, since drillers want way too much money (and a first born) to drill a well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume you will drain your cistern for winter?

Yes, for now. I'd like to enclose the tank in a greenhouse type set up in the future. And possibly add a heating source once my solar electric system is installed.

Made some more progress on the bathroom addition this past weekend. Another step closer to hot showers.

1F7BD79A-BF29-425F-813A-1483E18E0AA6.jpg

More recycled material, the metal tin will work great for the shower walls.

98ED93DF-B92D-4ABE-B828-8BB7E56D1817.jpg