Sitka clothing review

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I don’t intend to start a Sitka vs. Kuiu thread. I just thought I would update my post or thread from last year. Having started my second year in my Whitetail Fanatic bibs, jacket and vest, I have changed my mind from last year. I THINK last year I said it was really great stuff, but I would have a hard time paying full price for a set. That was said with the understanding that a good shopper can find better prices with some effort. Today, I would still try to find the best price, but dang that stuff is amazing. It is like hunting in a feather tick pillow while in the stands. It is so comfortable. So quiet and so warm. They have thought of everything. I would almost pay full price for it.

I also bought a variety of pieces for my elk bowhunt this year and I did pay nearly full price for everything and I think it was money well spent. So if you have the extra cash to spend and are considering it I would say there are some great pieces out there. Now, I will say I have already washed, dried and tucked away my elk hunting clothing and am saving it for next year. I am not going to chase early season whitetails or rabbits in it ha ha.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have the fanatic bibs and coat. I sat for 11.5 hours Tuesday, half of it in the rain. I have to agree, it's worth the money, but I got a good black friday deal on mine 2 years ago. I'm still trying to figure out what some of the features are, like the little loop like patches on the lower legs.

I have the fanatic bibs and coat. I sat for 11.5 hours Tuesday, half of it in the rain. I have to agree, it's worth the money, but I got a good black friday deal on mine 2 years ago. I'm still trying to figure out what some of the features are, like the little loop like patches on the lower legs.
This whole setup will be my next significant clothing purchase. Glad to see some positive stuff from you all...helps ease the pain of dropping that kind of coin. Buy once, cry once.

Those are bow holders for the tip of a recurve limb if I am thinking about what you are describing. You can go on their web page and there is a video or photo explaining that. I thought that is a lot of extra effort in the manufacturing process for the 4 guys that will buy that bib and hunt with a recurve :)

This whole setup will be my next significant clothing purchase. Glad to see some positive stuff from you all...helps ease the pain of dropping that kind of coin. Buy once, cry once.

If you take care of it. I have no doubt it would last at least 10 years so that is easy math to figure worst case scenario of cost per year. I am 50 and I honestly don’t think I will ever have to buy another winter jacket, bib and vest to hunting whitetails out of from a tree stand.

Those are bow holders for the tip of a recurve limb if I am thinking about what you are describing. You can go on their web page and there is a video or photo explaining that. I thought that is a lot of extra effort in the manufacturing process for the 4 guys that will buy that bib and hunt with a recurve :)

WTNUT,
One other question I was wondering about. How badly do you get covered in stick tights and other clinging debris with the Fanatic setup? Every time I go to the store and try them on I envision myself taking one step into a CRP field and looking like a Chiapet.

Thomas

WTNUT,
One other question I was wondering about. How badly do you get covered in stick tights and other clinging debris with the Fanatic setup? Every time I go to the store and try them on I envision myself taking one step into a CRP field and looking like a Chiapet.

Thomas

Well that is a very valid point. The good news for me is I don’t hunt near any CRP fields and the fields I do have are very clean. They are either clover, corn, beans or Timothy and alfalfa. But, you are right if you were around a lot of cuckleberrys or similar plants that produce burrs as seed pods it would be a mess!!!

I have a brand new pair of the Incenerator Bibs with the tags on them that have not been worn. I bought them in case the Fanatic was not enough. They are waterproof and a step up from the Fanatic. The material on those would not catch burrs like the Fanatic series. If anyone is looking for a new pair I will make him a good deal. I just don’t need them after buying them last year.

The feature I like best about both bibs is they have a leg zipper that can be opened from the bottom going up or from the top going down.
As you walk to the stand you can unzip the legs from the top and and keep plenty cool and avoid sweating. 20 years ago I would buy pants to elk hunt in. Most of the time they had Goretex lining. I would take them to a tailor and have him install leg zippers in them going from about the bottom of the pocket to just at or barely below the knee. When you got hot chasing elk you could unzip and cool off. The same applies with these bibs. Even if you are on the stand and the sun comes out and you get a little warm mid day or early afternoon just unzip and cool off.

The built in hand warming muff is priceless. The pockets are where they need to be. The size them need to be, and the comfort is unsurpassed.

Well that is a very valid point. The good news for me is I don’t hunt near any CRP fields and the fields I do have are very clean. They are either clover, corn, beans or Timothy and alfalfa. But, you are right if you were around a lot of cuckleberrys or similar plants that produce burrs as seed pods it would be a mess!!!

I have a brand new pair of the Incenerator Bibs with the tags on them that have not been worn. I bought them in case the Fanatic was not enough. They are waterproof and a step up from the Fanatic. The material on those would not catch burrs like the Fanatic series. If anyone is looking for a new pair I will make him a good deal. I just don’t need them after buying them last year.

The feature I like best about both bibs is they have a leg zipper that can be opened from the bottom going up or from the top going down.
As you walk to the stand you can unzip the legs from the top and and keep plenty cool and avoid sweating. 20 years ago I would buy pants to elk hunt in. Most of the time they had Goretex lining. I would take them to a tailor and have him install leg zippers in them going from about the bottom of the pocket to just at or barely below the knee. When you got hot chasing elk you could unzip and cool off. The same applies with these bibs. Even if you are on the stand and the sun comes out and you get a little warm mid day or early afternoon just unzip and cool off.

The built in hand warming muff is priceless. The pockets are where they need to be. The size them need to be, and the comfort
WTNUT,

Thomas

Yes, they are horrible for burs and stick-tights. That is really my only complaint about the whole system.

Last edited:

The built in hand warming muff is priceless. The pockets are where they need to be. The size them need to be, and the comfort is unsurpassed.

I actually looked at those (Incenerator) yesterday and am leaning that way now. The two things that kept me from buying them yesterday were 1) The price tag (quite a bit more than even the Fanatic. 2) Was wondering if they are quiet enough for bus hunting.

2/3 of my farm is CRP so you can imagine what I would look like after waking in and out of the stand...havebto walk through CRP (unless I have a trail mowed) to every stand.

Thomas

I actually looked at those (Incenerator) yesterday and am leaning that way now. The two things that kept me from buying them yesterday were 1) The price tag (quite a bit more than even the Fanatic. 2) Was wondering if they are quiet enough for bus hunting.

2/3 of my farm is CRP so you can imagine what I would look like after waking in and out of the stand...havebto walk through CRP (unless I have a trail mowed) to every stand.

Thomas

I hunt in a moderately cold area, NE Missouri, and Central Indiana. My concern with the Incenerator is the limited number of days I would wear it for the cost. The Fanatic can't be worn much of bow season, because it is too hot. If you have to do much walking, the Fanatic is too much. Like WTNUT I keep the legs and front of bibs open when walking, but you still can get hot. Until I had them, I didn't realize how warm/hot they were.

I hunt in a moderately cold area, NE Missouri, and Central Indiana. My concern with the Incenerator is the limited number of days I would wear it for the cost. The Fanatic can't be worn much of bow season, because it is too hot. If you have to do much walking, the Fanatic is too much. Like WTNUT I keep the legs and front of bibs open when walking, but you still can get hot. Until I had them, I didn't realize how warm/hot they were.
I’m in NW MO and normally you don’t need something as warm as either system unless it’s late season or an abnormally cold year like this year has been. I generally only wear an layers that are warm enough that don’t freeze to death on the walk in. I generally pack my outer gear on the straps of my backpack and the put my bibs and heavier jacket on just before I climb into the stand. I don’t mind having warmer gear than needed with this method, and the fanatic gear would work great in this case...however the walk out of the stand would be a disaster if I didn’t disrobe my outer gear.

I’m in NW MO and normally you don’t need something as warm as either system unless it’s late season or an abnormally cold year like this year has been. I generally only wear an layers that are warm enough that don’t freeze to death on the walk in. I generally pack my outer gear on the straps of my backpack and the put my bibs and heavier jacket on just before I climb into the stand. I don’t mind having warmer gear than needed with this method, and the fanatic gear would work great in this case...however the walk out of the stand would be a disaster if I didn’t disrobe my outer gear.

Yea, mine are a mess, but I cant find anything better. That truly is the only thing I dislike. They don't shortcut anywhere.

I don’t intend to start a Sitka vs. Kuiu thread. I just thought I would update my post or thread from last year. Having started my second year in my Whitetail Fanatic bibs, jacket and vest, I have changed my mind from last year. I THINK last year I said it was really great stuff, but I would have a hard time paying full price for a set. That was said with the understanding that a good shopper can find better prices with some effort. Today, I would still try to find the best price, but dang that stuff is amazing. It is like hunting in a feather tick pillow while in the stands. It is so comfortable. So quiet and so warm. They have thought of everything. I would almost pay full price for it.

I also bought a variety of pieces for my elk bowhunt this year and I did pay nearly full price for everything and I think it was money well spent. So if you have the extra cash to spend and are considering it I would say there are some great pieces out there. Now, I will say I have already washed, dried and tucked away my elk hunting clothing and am saving it for next year. I am not going to chase early season whitetails or rabbits in it ha ha.

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a full set of Fanatic gear - vest, bibs, jacket and hoody. Turns out they’re making a slight fabric modification to the fanatic series next year (adding non fleece fabric in some areas) and all the legacy fanatic gear was on sale for 40% off so I had to snatch up a set. There’s still no way I will wear this stuff (except maybe the vest) on a walk into a stand, but I do plan to figure out a good system to pack it out to my stand and put it on before I climb up. I’ll probably roll it up and strap it to my backpack. I looked at the incinerator setup and it’s just too much for me - too warm, too bulky, too loud...and not on sale.

Thomas

I wear the cabelas wooltimate gear and for down to 25 they are great and could be worn colder if it was,they block wind good also.The day one is also good stuff and you can customize but I usually use the wooltimate but you better buy soon as I doubt if they will be around much longer with cabelas turning to walmart.Have you tried the firminator dog comb to get sticktites out?

I wear the cabelas wooltimate gear and for down to 25 they are great and could be worn colder if it was,they block wind good also.The day one is also good stuff and you can customize but I usually use the wooltimate but you better buy soon as I doubt if they will be around much longer with cabelas turning to walmart.Have you tried the firminator dog comb to get sticktites out?

I haven’t tried anything to get out burrs but I would be willing to try nearly anything. We actually own one of those for my wife’s dog so I may need to try it out. I also own several pieces of Wooltimate gear from Cabelas. In fact, my Berber fleece vest is one of the most worn pieces of hunting clothing I own. I’ll be curious to try out this Sitka gear and see how it compares...from what my friends tell me it’s night and day difference. Hopefully I’ll grt some late season sits in to find out!

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a full set of Fanatic gear - vest, bibs, jacket and hoody. Turns out they’re making a slight fabric modification to the fanatic series next year (adding non fleece fabric in some areas) and all the legacy fanatic gear was on sale for 40% off so I had to snatch up a set. There’s still no way I will wear this stuff (except maybe the vest) on a walk into a stand, but I do plan to figure out a good system to pack it out to my stand and put it on before I climb up. I’ll probably roll it up and strap it to my backpack. I looked at the incinerator setup and it’s just too much for me - too warm, too bulky, too loud...and not on sale.

Thomas

Where did you find it?

Down to what temperature do you guys find the fanatic suit to be comfortable? I’m in Minnesota and would like some cold weather gear that is less bulky than the Cabelas stuff that I have now.
I tend to run a little cold. Think the Fanatic coat and bibs with good quality base layers is good for stand hunting in temperatures down in the teens???

Down to what temperature do you guys find the fanatic suit to be comfortable? I’m in Minnesota and would like some cold weather gear that is less bulky than the Cabelas stuff that I have now.
I tend to run a little cold. Think the Fanatic coat and bibs with good quality base layers is good for stand hunting in temperatures down in the teens???

I don’t know how to explain it, but there is “bulk” with the Sitka Fanatic series but it is much more comfortable and far less intrusive than the camo you described at Cabelas.

To answer your question, I have the bibs, jacket and vest. I have hunted in it many times below 10 degrees. Personally, I think the vest is very important. It would not be nearly as warm without it.

Between 0 and 25 degrees I wear an under armor mock turtle neck cold gear infrared shirt as the first layer, then a scentlock fleece shirt, the vest and the jacket on top. On the bottom if it is 25-40 I wear the bibs with a very light scentlock liner bottom. Below 25 I wear the scentlock bottom that is fleece and matches the top described above.

The only problem is my feet. I am out now in 18 degrees on stand researching Baffin Boots!

I'd also suggest looking at the Sanctuary system from First Lite. It's like wearing a sleeping bag, but doesn't impede movement or drawing back a bow (tapered arms etc). Very quiet. A lot less bulk (I think it has seven layers) compared to Cabelas stuff. Their bibs have two quiet zippers along the whole leg and rear end. I unzip the middle portion along my legs and the rear end on walks in and it prevents the dreaded sweaty walk then cold sit. I get to my stand warm, but not sweaty. Once in the stand, I zip them up. The only downside that I can see is it's a soft exterior fabric that I could see snagging on brush. I make sure to stay on my trails to avoid any issues. A season in and it still looks like new. Their cold weather baclava is one of my favorite pieces as well.

My other cold weather tip is to buy Certain Dri. During the rut or cold weather, I apply this to my underarms and the tops and bottoms of my feet at night. This all but eliminates sweat which helps keep me warmer and also I think it helps reduce odor due to the reduction in sweat. No more sweaty cold feet. Even with my warmest boots, no sweat on walk in... I looked at even private labeling a solution for hunting I swear by this method so much. On my elk trip this year, I used scent wet wipes at night on my pits, then did this and drastically cut down on pit sweat and feet sweat which helps with blisters in a situation like early season elk hunting vs worrying about keeping feet warm. Same method when staying overnight in our camper during the season. Not perfect, but better than nothing.