Sitka clothing review

Can somebody please tell me how quiet the Wooltimate or Sitka gear is for bowhunting? I am looking for a cold weather jacket for those cold, cold hunts during bow season. Sometimes when a product has a wind proof or water proof layer or coating the jacket can get noisy. Can you draw back silently on a deer at 20 yards when it's dead still? I read one review on Cabelas about the Sitka jacket that described it as being noisy. Thanks.

Sitka Fanatic is quiet. My only gripe is that it collects burrs, etc. I use Underarmor 4.0 base layer and the fanatic bibs and coat. I throw a handwarmer in the large front handwarmer pocket. Like WTNUT, my feet are the only issue. I can't find a solution, other than throw a handwarmer there too.

I agree it is quiet!!!! That will never be a problem for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sitka Fanatic is quiet. My only gripe is that it collects burrs, etc. I use Underarmor 4.0 base layer and the fanatic bibs and coat. I throw a handwarmer in the large front handwarmer pocket. Like WTNUT, my feet are the only issue. I can't find a solution, other than throw a handwarmer there too.

Thanks.

After losing the battle of cold feet for decades I finally tried toe warmers last year. Life changing! On those brutally cold stand sits I now wear a thin sock liner and stick a toe liner on top of my toes. I then throw on a warmer wool sock over that and I am good to go. Can't believe I waited so long to try them. The ones I buy have a peel and stick adhesive side.

The wooltimate stuff is very quiet. I have the vest and coat and I also have a pair of the stand hunter extreme bibs. It’s all super warm stuff. The bibs are too warm for most days actually. I find the coat too bulky in the sleeves for bow hunting. This year I bought a bunch of first lite base layer clothing and have just fallen in love with merino. I also bought a first lite asat camo Woodbury jacket on clearance. That’s been my go to bow hunting coat below 40 degrees. It’s warm, quiet, reasonably light weight, and the tapered sleeves are great. I’m 6’4 and 190 pounds and the extra large is actually a little big on me but still works well.

I’ve always struggled with the cold. Especially my feet and hands. I tried Merino wool for the first time last year when I saw some smartwool base layer tops on clearance at Sierra trading post. I went all in on first lites base layers this year. I’m totally sold. The under armor style compression fit base layers always feel cool to the skin for me and make me feel like I never get warm. Merino feels like I’m wearing a warm stadium blanket.

One thing I learned last year was the benefit of keeping the kidneys warm. Cold feet and hands come from cold blood flow to the extremities. Keep the blood warm and the toes stay warm (provided they stay dry). This starts with the core. Both the first lite jacket and the stand hunter bibs have a pocket at the kidneys for a hand warmer. This makes all the difference in the world for me. The past two years I’ve used Merino wool socks and the kidney packs and I haven’t once had to deal with cold toes or finger tips. I wish someone had told me that years ago.

The draw back to all of this is that it’s expensive stuff. Most of my kids are out of college now so there’s a little more discretionary income but be prepared to spend even if it’s on clearance. In the case of first lite, wooltimate, Sitka and even smart wool, ice breaker and minus 33 clothing though I think you get what you pay for. The quality is worth it if you can find a way to afford it.

As a property owner I get to spend more days in the stand then I did in the past. Being comfortable out there is just a big bonus.