All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sheepshead

When you buy that land wisc we will be playing a lot of cribbage.
When...........;)..........I just hope to get an honest chance to look into how feasible it would actually be. Cribbage and euchre are my forte, so we would be good in that regard.

When...........;)..........I just hope to get an honest chance to look into how feasible it would actually be. Cribbage and euchre are my forte, so we would be good in that regard.

Son, Eventually Its time to take your diapers off and move up to sheepshead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like I said before, the older generation in my family was nuts for sheepshead. I watched those old timers in my family play it for years when I was young, too young to give a crap I guess, now all those folks that could have taught me have been passed away for many years.

Like I said before, the older generation in my family was nuts for sheepshead. I watched those old timers in my family play it for years when I was young, too young to give a crap I guess, now all those folks that could have taught me have been passed away for many years.

My buddy and I the other weekend played cribbage from 8pm till 4am on Friday night and then 4 handed the next night for about 6 hours. I can play that and never get sick of it too

The problem with sheepshead is you need 5 people to play it right. It's hard to get that many people

When you say take the diapers off, you mean vs euchre, as I see no similarities at all to cribbage.

If you can play euchre, you can learn sheeps.
That is the impression I have as well badger, but this is an "old dog" your talking about here, and we all know what they say about old dogs.......and "new tricks".......

see what I did there............;)

When you say take the diapers off, you mean vs euchre, as I see no similarities at all to cribbage.

No I mean euchre is the simple type form of sheepshead.

I'm not going to say that sheepshead is superior to cribbage even though I prefer to play sheepshead. But I will say it's superior to euchre

Son, Eventually Its time to take your diapers off and move up to sheepshead.
Funny you should say that BJE, as I remember my grandma saying something very similar around the time I was 13 or so.

No I mean euchre is the simple type form of sheepshead.

I'm not going to say that sheepshead is superior to cribbage even though I prefer to play sheepshead. But I will say it's superior to euchre

That ^^^ is what I was implying, complex form of euchre, nothing at all related to cribbage.

That ^^^ is what I was implying, complex form of euchre, nothing at all related to cribbage.

Right. Nothing comparable between the two games.

My wife and I had two kids and I told my wife maybe we should consider having one more just so we would have enough for 5 handed sheepshead when they get older.

She didn't agree.

Five handed, picker calls ace for partner, doubler if no one picks, no cracks or recracks. When growing up in the 1950s-1970s on the South side of Milwaukee at family get togethers the uncles all played after dinner while the aunts cleaned the kitchen. As a little kid, I could sit at the table and look at the cards to be picked (the "blind"). My uncles were very sharp players, they counted points and trump cards left in the players hands as tricks were played. If there were more than five players, the dealer sat out the hand he dealt. I come from a 100% Polish background and it was the card game of choice. I can't get enough players together at one time anymore to play. I don't care to play four or even three handed. That is just way too cut throat for my tastes.

Last edited:
Five handed, picker calls ace for partner, doubler if no one picks, no cracks or recracks. When growing up in the 1950s-1970s on the South side of Milwaukee at family get togethers the uncles all played after dinner while the aunts cleaned the kitchen. As a little kid, I could sit at the table and look at the cards to be picked. My uncles were very sharp players, they counted points and trump cards left in the players hands. If there were more than five players, the dealer sat out the hand he dealt. I come from a 100% Polish background and it was the card game of choice. I can't get enough players together at one time anymore to play. I don't care to play four or even three handed. That is just way too cut throat for my tastes.

And finally a call ace guy. Was wondering if someone would come out.

Everyone I know is very much either JD or call ace. And the Call ace guys hate the JD and the JD hate the call ace way.

I am proud to say I am the only person I know that plays both happily and has no preference. The both have their pros and cons the way I see it.

I learned to play from a bunch of college buddies from marathon county. Clubs trump, JD partner. Don't remember playing it any other way but they always said there were other ways.

Clubs trump uses the JD partner method. Just clubs is trump instead of diamonds.

Call ace is a very different game.

The picker announces what fail ace is his partner. The catch is that he has to have at least one fail card the same suit as the called ace for partner.

So if the picker calls ace of spades as his partner everyone knows he has at least one fail spade in his hand.

The called ace card (partner) and the fail of the called suit (picker) cannot fail off or smere those cards until the called suit is lead.

It causes trump to be buried fairly often. It also makes control very important early in the game between the picker/partner and defenders.

The defenders also want to get that called suit lead as early as possible and the picker/partner want to wait till the end of the game to lead the called suit when the defenders are out of trump.

I was once admonished by one of my uncles for playing the highest trump card , the Queen of clubs, and taking a trick on a trick that did not have at least 20 points.
BJE80 you are correct in your analysis of the five handed strategy. Players could make an educated guess as to the partner by whether players put points onto the pickers trick "smear", failed off on it, or played their lowest trump card. I could go on for hours about the complexities of the strategies of the game. I truly miss playing this card game. I saw my uncles play for hours and the big winner would walk away with a few dollars.

I was once admonished by one of my uncles for playing the highest trump card , the Queen of clubs, and taking a trick on a trick that did not have at least 20 points.
BJE80 you are correct in your analysis of the five handed strategy. Players could make an educated guess as to the partner by whether players put points onto the pickers trick "smear", failed off on it, or played their lowest trump card. I could go on for hours about the complexities of the strategies of the game. I truly miss playing this card game. I saw my uncles play for hours and the big winner would walk away with a few dollars.

Where do you live?

And then you play JD and early control means little. Taking the highest point count tricks while burning the defenders out of trump is the important thing.

Call ace you can go alone and then often times avoid haveing to bury trump. JD you can't go alone and never have to bury trump unless you are trump tight