Severe cold weather is coming

Just thinkin’ ‘bout a Three Dog Night.

It was so cold we had to let another dog in to keep the bed warm.

Cabin Fever gettin’ to me?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Art ... as a person that knows a doctor ... I am prescribing that you need more blackberry brandy.

The dose should be patient directed ... :emoji_slight_smile:[/

I only had blackberry once in the last 40 plus years.

If you want to impress the kids, boil some water and then run outside and throw it in the air.

Yup, Cabin Fever time.

Have you guys ever killed deer in these temps? I remember a similar cold wave a few years back. The blood trail froze before it hit the snow. You could actually pick the frozen blood up off of the snow. God it felt good to put my hands inside that deer for a few moments though!

I killed a nice buck about 5 years ago during muzzleloading season. I think it was -20 or so and the one spot on my face that I forgot to cover got frost bite. Only good thing about hunting when it is cold is the deer need to feed and they usually come early.

In the mid to late seventies, I killed a moose when it was -15 or colder. Four of us had the tag and it was getting dark.. We quickly gutted it while others got plastic kids sleds and a miniMac chain saw that had no oil in it.
We quartered it with the chains saw and pulled it out on a frozen system of ditches.
The alternative was snowshoes and lots of snow.

I looked at the weather forecast and then at https://extension.umn.edu/planting-and-growing-guides/protecting-trees-and-shrubs-winter. I’m hopeful my apple trees will pull through okay. We had a lot of rain in the fall. Our ground was very moist when it froze. We’ve had a reasonably mild winter up until now. We’ve had snow cover most of the winter so far. I did not fall-plant any trees this year. I guess I’ll find out for sure this spring.

Guess y'all fellas up north are thankful for the cold in light of the dire warning from a certain New York congresswoman that we've only got 12 more years to live before global warming kills us all off... sorry, just couldn't resist.
I wish I would have seen that earlier as my financial advisor set up my retirement for 35 years. LOL. I guess now I can triple my income. Can’t take it with you. LOL. I find people like this that have these whacked out agendas will become very disheartened when they run into the walls ahead of them. They will become frustrated that they can’t accomplish their agenda and will lose hope and will just fade away. My prediction, she won’t last long

This Tuesday and Wednesday would seem to present an opportunity for a unique outdoor experience for anyone around here feeling the urge to get the jump on pruning a few days ahead of the usual February timing.
1548614426077.png

Minus 44 Celsius this morning, that's minus 47 F without the wind. For some reason our overflow from our flowing well froze.

Minus 44 Celsius this morning, that's minus 47 F without the wind. For some reason our overflow from our flowing well froze.

Very close to where LP furnaces will no longer work.

Where is your location?

I am 20 miles outside International Falls,MN on the Canadian side.

Well, all I can say is you guys won't ever have to worry about pine bark beetles....

Well, all I can say is you guys won't ever have to worry about pine bark beetles....

And we might slow down the emerald ash borer.

I am 20 miles outside International Falls,MN on the Canadian side.

I've been through the falls a million times. Both east and west. I probably drove past your place! :emoji_wink:

I've been through the falls a million times. Both east and west. I probably drove past your place! :emoji_wink:
Ditto on the driving past your place... We go through Fort Francis 2-3 times a year - mostly heading towards Emo on the way to Nestor Falls - not sure if your 20 to the west or 20 to the east...

NT179, I Love winter, but you'all have way too much of it up there and the constant chill to boot. I have a friend who ranches on the Canadian border in central North Dakota. They fire the wood boiler up Oct 1st, and don't shut it down till the end of May. When you have to put extensions on your Ice Augers thats where I geographically draw the line. Hats off to you:emoji_thumbsup: .

We live north of Devlin,which is half way between Fort Frances and Emo. I worked for 31 years at the paper mill in the Fort until it closed down. Now out of Emo for Emcon Services road maintenance. Weather lik this I tell everyone I miss the mosquitoes. Lol

Frost bite when deer hunting? Blood trails freezing before the blood even hits the ground?? CHAINSAWING frozen game??? Have to say, never has a thread made me more thankful to live in the southeast!

Supposed to be a high of -4 here Weds with 20 mph wind on top of that .........think spring!

4F in western NC Wednesday night. I don’t know how you guys up north do it. Those are some impressive temps!