Fruit Trees Starting to Bloom

SwampCat

5 year old buck +
IMG_0371.jpegI have peach, plum, and pear about to start blooming with a month of winter left. They are going to get hammered from cold weather like they have the last two years. We have what seems to be a COLD spell - for us - zero to five degrees - but it wont last long. 82 degrees here today. It has become almost useless here to try to grow early blooming trees. Better look for the late blooming varieties, now.

Had the same problem last year. Didn't have any plums or pears.
From the looks of it, I'll have the same this year.
That's my Anna apple.
4bce5c4f03cbf5d8d0ae30c8fa1b9a46.jpg

Sent from my SM-G990U3 using Tapatalk

I was out pruning mine today, the buds were just starting to swell, early silver bud stage. Maybe a couple weeks early.

Was looking for a bloom group chart and saw williams pride is an early bloomer....

Been trying to stick to group 3 and 4 apples.

Pruned when I got home Today, trees have bigger fuzzier buds.

Last edited:
I need to do alot of pruning but thankfully haven't seen blooms yet

If only we ate the bugs like the elites said, we wouldn’t have destroyed the climate and we’d all have bumper fruit crops.

544444bdeee6812c88b604d8378a226d.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If only we ate the bugs like the elites said, we wouldn’t have destroyed the climate and we’d all have bumper fruit crops.

544444bdeee6812c88b604d8378a226d.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just gotta give time for the positive effects from switching to paper straws to kick in.

Pruned after work today. Then I sat down on the computer. There is an inchworm (cankerworm) wandering around on my laptop now.

Thinking I need to spray some neem oil. Think it's too late? Any concerns sparying post prune? Getting oil on cut wounds?

My Anna apple in south Mississippi is fully leafed out and blooming. It always blooms in February. It got hit hard in the freeze last March. I have had this tree for over 10 years in my backyard and have been unable to find a pollinator that will bloom in February when it blooms. A good production year is 2-3 apples in June.

Plums, pears, black cherries, and crabapples were not budding out last weekend on my property in south Louisiana.
IMG_4644.jpg

Last edited:
Chestnut crab has been the same way for me, by far the earliest bloomer here. It has produced just enough to tell it is true to type. It has already split, everything else is still pretty dormant.20240225_100322.jpg