Severe cold weather is coming

Livesintrees - I worked all winter at Duck Island power house on the east bank of the Delaware River. Open steel on the windy side of the plant with -3 air temps and -20 wind chills working 7 12's. With handwarmers in every pocket and arctic Carhart gear, we could only take about 1/2 hour when working with small components - had to remove gloves for small work. PITA. Our crew froze our a**es off all winter.

Happy bridge work Livesintrees !! :emoji_anguished: Buy lots of Hot Hands hand & body warmers. The bigger ones go for 12+ hours and give off lots more heat.

Livesintrees - Are you guys working off a catwalk or some type of suspended scaffolding ?? Maybe safety netting below you guys ?? Stay tied off !!!

I hope you will be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will be. It’s just gonna be cold. A whole new level of cold. Hard to explain it until you’ve done it. Ground level winds could be 15-20 for example. It’s always doubled at a minimum up in the air where we are for this project. I’d rather be home in front of the fire, but bills don’t pay themselves!

Livesintrees - Are you guys working off a catwalk or some type of suspended scaffolding ?? Maybe safety netting below you guys ?? Stay tied off !!!

Working on 185’ lifts or off the actual bridge arch steel. Running rigid pipe. No nets below. Just hard concrete or hard and cold water. No mistakes are an option. Couple photos from summer when it was warm. Everything now is steel. Steel is cold hahaha972AA2D5-7010-4461-B54F-309CDBA1BB32.jpeg6D26EE6C-698F-43ED-9979-DDF8B8855097.jpeg

^^ You guys are bona fide tough.

Cleaned up 6-8" of snow twice today, wind blew all day and it's drifted really well, had a couple 3' drifts I had to bust open going to the pole barn tonight. Cold weather to move in now.

HA! I hear ya Scott, the last 36 hours my house got around 24 inches and it kept drifting all over the place because its so flipping cold!

Wildfire had some chestnuts about 50 miles south of here in a strong zone 4. Some were six foot tall.

One buddy tried some up here and I don’t think they survived.

I have CC growing on my property and they are likely over 10 years old now and producing nuts, they have fared a number of mid -20's. My AC died off years ago but more to my ignorance than the cold. I have DC into their 2nd winter now so we will see how they do. Im 4b mid Wisconsin just east of the twin cities for reference.

Last edited:
They just cancelled school for Weds already...cuz of nasty cold temps.

Wildfire had some chestnuts about 50 miles south of here in a strong zone 4. Some were six foot tall.

One buddy tried some up here and I don’t think they survived.

I have CC growing on my property and they are likely over 10 years old now and producing nuts, they have fared a number of mid -20's. My AC died off years ago but more to my ignorance than the cold. I have DC into their 2nd winter now so we will see how they do. Im 4b mid Wisconsin just east of the twin cities for reference.

Wildfire was just north of the cities.

Well here is the W MI real time update....

-40 or worse, actual temps. -65 wind chill right now. More than a bit worried about my trees.

Gonna hit -33 air temp here it looks like. I planted DC last year as seedlings and all looked great going into the fall but now am a tad concerned about those and the fruit trees.

4A0C61D2-2B38-46BB-A963-127F1E074D3E.gif

-32 tomorrow night +38 on Saturday.

Exactly a 70 degree swing.

Never a dull moment in the winter!

-John

Gonna hit -33 air temp here it looks like. I planted DC last year as seedlings and all looked great going into the fall but now am a tad concerned about those and the fruit trees.

At least we got some snow, that blanket will help. I have 100 heeled in & potted GRIN grafts from last year and my DC are into their 2nd winter but last year was pretty mild. So Im feeling the same pain and concern. Is what it is now, hope and pray and wait till spring... I did all I could for them.

Good thing is we did have a couple cold days last year with not a ton of snow cover and my DC made it, some where down in my valley which gets colder yet so there is lots of hope yours will make it.

Last edited:
Yeterday coming back from the inlaws we had to follow this amish guy for a little while because we couldn't pass, he had an umbrella for a wind break and was having a hard time a couple times it almost turned inside out because of the wind. That was one very cold ride into a 15-20 mph wind.

Aoz8HaV.jpg

-36 wind chill right now...they are saying jump up to 55 Monday then back to 20's-30's rest of next week...crazy winter and there is bound to be some hard wind with that temp swing.

Went out ploughing drifting snow last night. By the end of the shift,the hydraulics went on strike. The 18 speed became an arm workout but the big Detroit kept the truck warm.

This thread reminds me that everything in life is relative.
I just went out and cleared snow before it gets “cold”.......because right now the wind chill is a balmy -5 but in a few hours it will drop by 20 degrees

Snowing hard here right now and wind whipping. -22 wind chills called for here, then up to 55 in a couple days, then back down. I can only wonder what these see-saw temp. swings do to fruit trees. Other trees too, like Ch. chestnuts.