Seeding rate for chicory and white clover

Booner21

5 year old buck +
Looking to put in a small plot this weekend and am having trouble finding rates to mix the two. This will be broadcast on top and weed eated over.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

4 to 6lbs chicory and 8 to 10 lbs white clover. Heavy side of those rates if you broadcast.

Can't provide a recommended total amount without knowing the size of the plot. As far as proportion, an overall mix of 25% chicory, 75% clover should do the job. For a quarter acre of pure chicory/clover, two pounds of chicory and six pounds of clover would be a very heavy planting.

I'd recommend adding either wheat or oats in addition to the chicory and clover (wheat if you're up North, oats if down South - or even a mix of the two), with the wheat/oats at a rate of about eight times the amount of the combined clover and chicory. I had great success broadcasting into a quarter acre plot of dead thatch with 1 lb. chicory, 3 lbs. clover, 16 lbs. oats and 16 lbs. wheat. My results were reported here: http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?t...eport-in-cmt-4-30-july-2016.5525/#post-111282

Mixes or by themselves 8-10lbs per acre is always good!

Thanks I will be adding rye with the mix.

How big is the actual plot? 1/2 acre? 1/3rd?

Right around a 1/4 acre, I spread it heavy and sprayed this morning.

So, for the sake of the guys here who might be in a similar situation, exactly how much seed did you use on a 1/4 acre? And you stated broadcast and weed whack down on top, correct? Any pics? Take a couple of it next time your out there, if you don't mind, and keep track of it for future reference. And when it is all said and done, let us know if you would have done anything differently.

The plan was to weed whack however, my buddy that was supposed to come along had other obligations. This was a carry in only deal on the back side of my property so my hands were full carrying a backpack sprayer and a spreader full. Here is what I did. Sprayed heavily with a mix of cobra and gly because that is what I had mixed when emptied the big sprayer. I then put down a solo spreader full of rye 2 lbs of white Dutch and 1.25 lbs of 6pt chicory.

c28d4f4f07c8a73941d7835cbb01185c.jpg

56416c248df03c684a9ae3946ff9a10a.jpg

Blue is the chicory and you can see the rye as well.
89273e2206d55aebd3953acd16675661.jpg

Thanks for sharing Booner, be sure to post some follow up pics of your success.

Early July I sprayed two plots with RU. Came back and hit it again in two weeks. About two weeks ago I planted each plot (1/3 acre each) with 1# Alice, 1#Kopu II, and 1# Jumbo Ladino along with 2# Oasis Chicory and 2# delar salad Burnette. Have not been able to get back to check on it. Hope to be there soon.

Start a new thread and share. I'd like to know how that Burnet does for you and how much use it sees. Put up an exclusion cage. Booner should get one on his plot as well.

We are at pretty low deer density. Im not sure a cage is necessary. I have never planted the burnett before. The food plot book by Kammermyer spoke pretty highly of it. We will see. We have had about 4 inches of rain since I put out that seed. I am glad there was some thatch on the ground or the seed all may have washed into the next county. It should be up by now. I am anxious to get back to see. "D"

It never did very well at our place, but we plotted on a low pH beach, so I'm sure that was part of the issue. We had a few plants carry over a couple years, but they were few and far between.

We are at pretty low deer density. Im not sure a cage is necessary.

Without a cage you simply do not know what's really going on. You may end up with looks like pretty good growth with little use, yet a cage would show protected growth two or three times the height and density of the unprotected area. Or you may have what you think is poor germination or growth, yet a cage shows just the opposite. Cages are well worth the time and effort, and make you a smarter plotter.

Start a new thread and share. I'd like to know how that Burnet does for you and how much use it sees. Put up an exclusion cage. Booner should get one on his plot as well.
I won't have a cage on this plot as I won't be making any more trips here until November however there are a few skeletons laying around from the trees I cleared, should give any idea on what is going on

Small burnette is the most hardy plants you can plant. Very drought resistant. Deer eat it, but don't wear it out. It last for years and years.