All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scott's habitat improvements

That sounds like a lot of fun. Will you be stalking out there?

That sounds like a lot of fun. Will you be stalking out there?
Spot and stalk and trying to get above them early in the A.M. when they are going back to bed.

Awesome, good luck!

Awesome, good luck!
Thanks! Really looking forwrd to this, since he moved out to CO we don't get much time together and at least now it's a hunting trip to CO and the wife gets to see the grand babies so it's a win/win.:D

Last edited:
Awesome Scott, I hope ya'll are successful!

Started prepping some spots I want to frost seed some switchgrass in this winter next spring. Mowed it today and going to let it come back up and then nuke it a couple times this summer/fall then frost seed into this nuked area.

I have a strip 20-25' wide on our north fence that is 5yrs old and I'm going to widen it with a space inbetween the 2 strips, this space has some highbush cranberrys planted in it, hopefully it will get some bedding inbetween the strips also I'm trying to get some switch right up to the plots.

You can see the north fence on the right, couple years ago I tried planting some MG in the switch just to try it and see how they get along together, it's still there and going ok but not great, we'll see.

Found these next to the switch.

These highbush craberrys are 4 years old, the first year I did't cage them and the were eaten to the ground so they had to start over with cages.

Going to be the switch around the plots.

Big blue and Indian grass not much for cover but I like have it around, it's being taken over by the switch on either side of it.

My orchard, need to get in and mow the grass down and get some clover planted around the trees maybe a thro and mow this fall.

Good luck on your elk hunt! I put in for mine here, but didn't get an elk permit though I and nea hawg drew a deer permit to a wma in south Arkansas that has some nice bucks. The orchard looks great too btw.

Good luck on your elk hunt! I put in for mine here, but didn't get an elk permit though I and nea hawg drew a deer permit to a wma in south Arkansas that has some nice bucks. The orchard looks great too btw.
Thanks! Good luck to you both in Arkansas.

Took some pics today while watering my apple trees and filliing the pool.

Usually don't have to add water to this untill Aug but it's been kinda dry here lately, quite a few pics of animals using this.

A couple years ago I planted some MG in a 6' circle in hopes of putting a pop up in there, it looks like it'll work this year. This is on the south edge of a plot with easy in and out.

Most of my MG screen is doing good but right in the middle it's only half as tall, might have to rethink this area. My pick up is parked behind the first pic.

This MG is supposed to be for sreening but I guess they like it for bedding too.

great thread, excited to follow along!

Did a quick walk around yesterday and checked out the apple situation, not bad but not real good compared to years past.

Our old orchard is the trees on the edge of the crop field in front of the dead ash.

Lookin the other way back up towards the first pic.

A look into the area where all the ash are dead, filling in nice and thick, I'm going to go in there and plant a bunch of oaks this fall.

thats a lot of nice firewood you got standing there Scott, my outdoor burner would thank you. :)

thats a lot of nice firewood you got standing there Scott, my outdoor burner would thank you. :)
Make a trip a little east and you can have all you can haul:)

Looking good. I'd wait til after a frost to go into those dead ash's. That or doused in bug spray, looks like a tick heaven.

Good luck in CO. For your sake I hope you're walking a few miles everyday to get ready. That's some hard country. Are you backpacking, 4 wheeling or horse backing ?

Looking good. I'd wait til after a frost to go into those dead ash's. That or doused in bug spray, looks like a tick heaven.

Good luck in CO. For your sake I hope you're walking a few miles everyday to get ready. That's some hard country. Are you backpacking, 4 wheeling or horse backing ?
Backpacking and yes I've been walking at least a couple mi everyday, Thanks Bill!

Got caught up on the whole thread tonight. What a change your hard work has made to the property. Nice job. I look forward to following along.

A couple years ago I planted a 6' square of MG for future placement of a pop up blind, it's about 30yds off the ag field so it's pretty easy access. I mowed a path to it the other day and now I've got to get the pop up in there.

On the south edge of a plot.

MG is in the middle between the 2 trees.

Nice planning Scott! Lots of room to hide in there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk