Pheasant habitat

Here's one of the hedgerows I've put in this year, there's 6 more similar.

We're also planting about 47 acres in the crp pheasant/pollinator as a change from cp4d.

I've done a year of prep. Had an extension to plant to get more prep time.

Attachments

• 20240204_153019.jpg
    20240204_153019.jpg
    606.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240204_152939.jpg
    20240204_152939.jpg
    599.2 KB · Views: 12
Much of that area has been great cir switch that had to be mowed out for the new program.

Perhaps some will grow back in the new planting 😇

Much of that area has been great cir switch that had to be mowed out for the new program.

Mowed out ? They required it to be mowed ?

Mowed out ? They required it to be mowed ?

Not required, but I need my no till planter to get decent ground contact and there were/are still lots of weeds that I don't want to fight after planting that many acres of seeds that I don't want to spray after germination.

There's still some areas that I may till to smooth them out and get a better seed bed.

It'll be back I'm sure, probably in just the right amount too

It'll be back I'm sure, probably in just the right amount too

That's what I'm hoping. There is a small amount of Indian grass and Big Bluestem in the required mix. The pheasants sure do like my switch along with all the berries and shrubbery.

Nice video here from Sam about how pheasants can relate to habitat improvements in the upper Midwest. For those unfamiliar, Sam has a great channel and worth a follow for us deer geeks in the area.

Male sure they got a spot on the ground the coyotes have trouble getting to them. Downed trees, or dumping some braches under the base of spruce trees. They do roost at night at times, expecially the new ones from the farm. Close to 100% chance fnding one in a juniper bush here in NY.

I trainedm y dog to be the clean up crew, find the ones the field runners go right past.

Went outside this morning to listen for turkeys gobbling and all I heard pre dawn were numerous rooster cackles, incredible! What a way to start the morning!

Great video. I have all of that type of habitat and more and still haven't seen a pheasant on our place.