Tree planting layout

Fetz

Yearling... With promise
Tree planting layout.jpg
Thought I would share my ideas here and see what ya'll think. We're in central Illinois, and the property was formerly a small livestock operation. We have been living here since November. The 8 acres to the front will be for orchard, garden, livestock, and the home of course. This is a rough plan for 8 acres of wildlife habitat in the back. Kind of like a mullet, business in the front, party in the back. An intermittent creek bisects the property. Mostly junk trees. Honey locust and Osage Orange. There's a handful of Overcup oak which is why I am choosing to plant more of those here. I know chestnuts seem to be all the rage right now and I'm sure they would grow well here but Illinois was just never really a part of their native range. I'd like to burn or spray the grasses and get that all converted to bedding cover pollinator prairie. I recognize this would be easier to do before planting all the trees but I feel like trees in the ground should be a priority just because they will take the longest to see results.

Just wanted to see what you guys think!

Hi Fetz,
My only suggestions are to be sure the stuff you plant is getting proper sun where you stick them and would suggest a variety of oaks instead of all the same type. I'm not very familiar with overcup, but believe it's more of a bottom land / flood plain type. I would pick a few different hybrid white oak varieties like Schuette's, Beadles, Concordia, or Bebbs. Theses would cross pollinate with the OC's you have now.

I love a mullet. I agree with above post about oak variety. However I commend your organization and planning. It will pay dividends long term.

Welcome!

Are you planning on using tree tubes or cages for your trees? Will they be bare root or are some going to be seedlings?

Are you planning on hunting this property? If so, that creek might give you some good access. You may want to consider splitting up some of the plantings so that way you can have the ability to hunt downwind of different food sources for a couple of different types of winds.q

Might want to share a bit on what the neighborhood looks like for a pic too. Seems like there is a house off to the left further down to "south" than your home not too far off property line. On very small properties especially with full time resident neighbors they will have a bigger impact on your place than whatever you dream up to plant. Hopefully to the "south" is just undeveloped adjacent land for instance.

So will the oaks not pollinate without different species present? I picked the overcups because of it's flood tolerance and easy growing. I assumed these "wild" trees would have enough genetic variance that it's not an issue. Should I be concerned about the pecans and persimmons effectively cross pollinating?

I bought 5' miracle tree tubes, I recognize that may not work well for the hazelnut or ROD so I'm hoping I have some leftover hardware cloth from an upcoming chicken coop project.

I will be hunting this property but I am managing my expectations. I had some very nice late night bucks cruising through during the rut but not much day time activity. I know I won't hold any deer but maybe I can get them to slow down on their way through it.

I do have a neighbor 300' southwest of my house, and there are several homes on my road. I already know fence sitters will be a problem unfortunately. That is a big reason why my food plot will be in the center of the property.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240224_144822_onX Hunt.jpg
    Screenshot_20240224_144822_onX Hunt.jpg
    945.6 KB · Views: 23
Your oaks will have no issues with pollination. I'm an oak junky, so I like having alot of variety.

I started 10 varieties yesterday alone.

Attachments

• 20240224_173145.jpg
    20240224_173145.jpg
    566.9 KB · Views: 18
I bought 5' miracle tree tubes, I recognize that may not work well for the hazelnut or ROD so I'm hoping I have some leftover hardware cloth from an upcoming chicken coop project.

I am located in Central Wi , very sandy soil and early on in my habitat work planted hazelnuts and wild plums in 5 inch miracle tubes. I had mixed results with the hazelnuts and actually thought the tubes delayed their growth. I feel like the tubes kept the hazelnuts from suckering properly and forming that dense bush like growth. When I pulled the tubes deer would browse the leaves but they never killed one off completely .

MFDC0008.JPG

If your planning on having multiple stands, then I would diversify the plantings. Having a few of everything in each planting will help insure there will be some kind of mast or browse in each stand location year to year.

If you’re planning on having multiple stands, then I would diversify the plantings. Having a few of everything in each planting will help insure there will be some kind of mast or browse in each stand location year to year.
Different drop times too. Nice to have something on ground sept-December. Or even later with oaks like Nuttal.

You parcel is around my zise at home. Just north and west of that dense pecan grove, put some screening spruces. I'd put more red dogwood up and down that stream too.

Some srpuce privacy on that south east corner would be good too.

Doing thse trees right will be more work than you might be able to do in some season. split it in a 2 or 3 year plan, or buy root maker pots and do some fall planting. Even find a place that sells / ships trees to you in the fall.

Teeder might be able to help you on getting younger to bear oak varieties.

Food will be a long time for nut trees. I'd focus on privacy 1st. Foodplots will take up the food slack.

I'd consider treestand placement too at this point. You cant shoot in any direction. Also, making a place within bow range is another consideration.

My area is quite open and kinda has to be. Just be glad you didn't have to go on state land with all that mess to get a 6 or 8 pointer.

Make a brushy edge to those foodplots, or a secluded little path for the deer to be in before they walk into the plot. Like a little waiting room. You'll get does and even sometimes bucks bedding down, or atleast resting for a bit in there. I find if they can hide in that nook and look around for a minute or two, they come into the plot closer to hunting hours.

Keep it light. IF poachers are going to be a problem. Don't let them chew you up. IF you did nothing but brush hog back there, you'd still have venison in the fridge. Focusing on bow season help ease those tensions too.

When I pulled the tubes deer would browse the leaves but they never killed one off completely .
Should I even bother protecting them then or just let them go? I am trying to use them to screen off the plot from my house.
If your planning on having multiple stands, then I would diversify the plantings.
By diversify do you mean add more species of trees to the property or do you mean blend trees together like some of each tree in each location? I was mostly worried about the trees pollinating effectively and having enough male/female, especially with the persimmons since none of them are grafted.

Regarding tree stands, you guys are right I had not really given that much thought yet. I planned to get a ladder stand somewhere in the northwest corner of the food plot which will be good for the prevailing winds here and prevent me from having to walk through most of the habitat area. We get two weekends for firearm season and that's probably what I will mostly stick to here for the foreseeable future. I have a 2000ac public land spot for bowhunting.

Zero chance of not getting pollination. I would plant a bunch or different varieties in groups of three.

Zero chance of not getting pollination. I would plant a bunch or different varieties in groups of three.
I know bees and other pollinators have a huge range so you're making a lot of sense but why do I see so much information on the Internet that suggests trees have to planted within 50-100ft to pollinate?

Should I even bother protecting them then or just let them go? I am trying to use them to screen off the plot from my house.

Thats a great question, not sure I can answer not knowing how much deer and perhaps cotton tail traffic you get in that area?
In my case I left the tubes on for 3 growing seasons, well after the bare root stock sent roots down. I think I could have pulled the tubes no later than the second growing season and they would be further along. My soil is loamy sand and we have experienced drier than normal rainfalls for the last 5 years so that might have had a negative effect on the hazelnuts also.

I know bees and other pollinators have a huge range so you're making a lot of sense but why do I see so much information on the Internet that suggests trees have to planted within 50-100ft to pollinate?
Oaks are wind pollinated. It’s why I said plant in groups of 3.

Oaks are wind pollinated. It’s why I said plant in groups of 3.
I'm more concerned about the pollination of the persimmons and pecans.