"Reseeding" crimson clover?

pointer

5 year old buck +
In a couple of weeks I'm planning on overseeding a few plots with clover and oats/rye in an effort to get some permanent clover plots going. I thought I had my mind made up on the clover, but when I laid hands on the bag (BOB brand) the seed tag indicated that 1/2 the seed was "Reseeding Crimson Clover". This will be planted about 6 weeks before the average first frost.

Now for the questions: 1. Have you guys had it overwinter (plot is in southern IN) and start growing again the next spring? I didn't think it would, but I found this on the SARE website:
In southern Michigan (Zone 5b - 6a) crimson clover, no-tilled into wheat stubble in mid-July, not only grew well into fall, but thrived the following spring,

If that's not the case, would 6 weeks be enough time to get the clover to set seed to be available for next year?

Thanks in advance.

Crimson Clover is acts as a reseeding annual depending on your location. It reseeds well here in zone 7A, but as you move further north that may not be the case. Hopefully someone in you zone can relate their personal experience in your area.

Thanks,

Jack

The variety "Dixie" crimson clover has been shown many times in field trials to be the most prolific of the reseeding crimson varieties.

The variety "Dixie" crimson clover has been shown many times in field trials to be the most prolific of the reseeding crimson varieties.
That's the variety I've been using most of the time.

I'm in zone 6a. It appears from the quote I posted that it should make it through winter and then hopefully set seed next spring. It's a small plot and only $15 for the seed, so I may go a head and give it a try.

I planted a NWTF clover mix that crimson in it (41%), I must have mowed it before it made seed...I'm not seeing any of it coming back, the red and whites yes...but not the clover.

Last edited: