Planting Brassicas without a cultipacker

I wonder if you're going to have a mold risk with that much duff, rain, and humidity. Have you ever just let it stand and lay over on it's own as time goes on?
Haven't tried this but it's a thought.

At the very least...you're adding a decent amount of OM
Yep, with the vetch and clover I'm hoping to not add much N to these plots, time will tell.

Sure wish i got here earlier to throw some seed down. Storms rolling in now. Dang it

I get into that crap every year at some point while trout fishing. Hard to see when your walking an overgrown bank and paying more attention to whether or not your going to step on the occasional rattlesnake. :eek:

Reading above about brasica rates. I use those el-chepo, hand held, seeders for clover and brassica too. I prefer them over the solo for this work. One thing I have learned on brasica seeding is to blend my PTT and DER seeds together in "ACRE SIZE" mixes.....and into a plastic coffee-can "bucket". I have all my plots broken down by measurements to the Tenth of an Acre. This enables me to easily put the appropriate seed weight down on those plots by taking a part of those coffee cans for each plot.

After walking about and spreading brasica seed......you get better with the rate applications. But it is easy to over-do it......and it does cut the size of those brasica plants when too much seed is applied. I spread other seed sizes separately (like radish and peas or grains).

My problem is I lose track of where I spread them. How do you hand spreader guys keep track of where you've been? Do you use row markers (sticks) ? I'm sure I've got some blank spots and probably over seeded in a few places.
My plots are only about 1/2 acre and they are pretty much oval or rectangle shaped. I start by seeding the outer edge first. After this is completed I walk end to end a couple strides in from the edge. When I reach the far end I turn around and repeat the end to end walk a couple strides further in. When done I usually still have some seed left (can't stress enough how important it is to set the spreader on a low rate). I spread the remainder of the seed in an S pattern across the entire plot.

My plots are only about 1/2 acre and they are pretty much oval or rectangle shaped. I start by seeding the outer edge first. After this is completed I walk end to end a couple strides in from the edge. When I reach the far end I turn around and repeat the end to end walk a couple strides further in. When done I usually still have some seed left (can't stress enough how important it is to set the spreader on a low rate). I spread the remainder of the seed in an S pattern across the entire plot.

^ Completely agree with a low-rate setting.....even if you need to walk it twice or three times. But it's hard to want to walk a plot more than once to apply seeds. :( As I'm doing this I always think of a battery powered seeder like my cordless tools. ;) DeWalt......are you listening. ;)

Hand seeded some tillage radish last week into some soybeans. Coming in very nice with no packing.

View attachment 6076
Very nice. Mo are you gonna be around your place today? Wanted to stop by for seed & a little BS..

Very nice. Mo are you gonna be around your place today? Wanted to stop by for seed & a little BS..

Yes, if you can give me a time I will be here. I have a bunch of trees to cut up that blew down in last weeks storm, they are in a bean field at one of the other farms. I will come back if can give me a ball park time.

Last edited:
I was going to broadcast my brassicas last weekend, but held out until some rains were forecasted. I am going to make the mad run up if we get any solid chance of rain.

Probably getting to the point of being too late now as well. Dang weather cramping my plot plans. :)

Well, with my luck, it would be 2 weeks with nothing happening and getting little germination with dew.

I waste enough seed the way it is when I have a plan. LOLL

Wow that's a lot of duff.

The neighbor was doing some dozing work on my trail yesterday and took these pictures of the big plot. It looks decent. I need to overseed this weekend and hit the bare spots. I wish he would of panned the other way and showed the rest of the plot. Oh well at least I know I have some growth. We need rain bad.

IMG_1566_zpsrhhruewt.jpg

IMG_1567_zpsfuxceaax.jpg

IMG_1568_zpsjsrzsjhl.jpg

Looks like they could use some N if you ever get any rain.

Looks like they could use some N if you ever get any rain.

I have the urea ready to go. Do you think it is a bit early yet? Like they should have a bit more growth first?

The rain is a big issue right now. I really need some.

Ideally sure, a bit more growth wouldn't hurt, but I think it will be all about timing for you, and early or not, you better get it on whenever you can. If you are up there and rain is on the horizon you might want to get it on regardless or you may not have another opportunity until it is too late in the growing season for it to matter. Unless you are just planning on running up there on a random day before a rain event just to get the urea down? You may not get rain 2 to 3 weeks from now while you are actually up at the property. My luck, it would rain while I was up there and I would wait for more growth to spread it in a few weeks and it would rain only while I wasn't up there and able to spread it from now until bow season started.

Ideally sure, a bit more growth wouldn't hurt, but I think it will be all about timing for you, and early or not, you better get it on whenever you can. If you are up there and rain is on the horizon you might want to get it on regardless or you may not have another opportunity until it is too late in the growing season for it to matter. Unless you are just planning on running up there on a random day before a rain event just to get the urea down? You may not get rain 2 to 3 weeks from now while you are actually up at the property. My luck, it would rain while I was up there and I would wait for more growth to spread it in a few weeks and it would rain only while I wasn't up there and able to spread it from now until bow season started.

I'll figure it out. Not too worried. Nothing is growing much more until we get rain. Right now rain is in the forecast for Sunday night.

I will have to get some pictures together and share some of the things I have been working on, but just broadcasting into thatch is giving me great results on the brassicas.