Planting Brassicas without a cultipacker

I planted my first brassica plot this weekend, the only thing that I was uncomfortable with was the fact that I couldn't see how the seed was spreading out of my little scott hand seeder. I ended up using way more seed than I was supposed to. Do others just have blind faith that it is spreading out evenly?
I'd toss that hand grip seeder in the trash. I had one and it just frustrated me. A good solo should be in the $20-30 range. Spreading fertilizer with it (larger particles) will give you a good idea of what your range is. Mine seems to favor spreading to the left, so I adjust accordingly as I walk. When I was spreading epsom salt through it last week, that was kind of a blind faith guess at how far it was going, but I went thin enough that I had to make three laps with the feet tractor to empty the spreader.

It should get your seed going.
We got enough last night. My plots flood easy. We don't need anymore

I got a Solo spreader for Christmas. I like it a lot once I got the straps adjusted properly and learned not to stick my hand in the wheel. That thing hurts! I think I have every kind of spreader available now. Sometimes it's just nice to have extras with this stuff.

I planted my first brassica plot this weekend, the only thing that I was uncomfortable with was the fact that I couldn't see how the seed was spreading out of my little scott hand seeder. I ended up using way more seed than I was supposed to. Do others just have blind faith that it is spreading out evenly?
I also use a hand grip seeder for brassicas. I start with a very low setting to make sure I cover the entire field before I run out. After covering the field and getting a feel for how much seed I used compared to how much I have left to spread I will adjust to a more open setting on the spreader. DO NOT try to cover the field in one pass, you WILL run out of seed in the spreader without covering the whole field.

I still struggle with the seed rate. It's a pita for sure.

What time of year are you broadcasting into corn? And rate? Thanks

Depends on which state you are in a little. In Mn I have done some already, In Missouri it will be the First week of August as a general rule of thumb. We Try and seed 8-10 weeks before our first average frost in each state. But we mainly shoot for seeding right before a big rain if it is anywhere close to 10 weeks before. We Broadcast a mix totaling 8lbs per acre.

Here is a kill and throw plot I did last week. Brassica is starting to sprout as the weeds die off!

View attachment 5932 View attachment 5933

Nice. Did you cultipack after you broadcast the brassica seeds?

The reason I ask is I'm trying to decide when to plant my brassicas - I can either overseed and cultipack into recently sprayed oat stubble that has a lot of trash this weekend or wait another week or two and go with the standard disk, seed and cultipack option. I'd prefer to disk, seed and cultipack this weekend, but my tractor crapped out and is at the shop so I'm looking at my other options right now.

I like tractors a lot until they break, then I hate them.

Nice. Did you cultipack after you broadcast the brassica seeds?

The reason I ask is I'm trying to decide when to plant my brassicas - I can either overseed and cultipack into recently sprayed oat stubble that has a lot of trash this weekend or wait another week or two and go with the standard disk, seed and cultipack option. I'd prefer to disk, seed and cultipack this weekend, but my tractor crapped out and is at the shop so I'm looking at my other options right now.

I like tractors a lot until they break, then I hate them.

Nope!

Just threw the seed out right before a 3" rain.

Maybe I'll try planting and cultipacking brassicas seed on the oat stubble this weekend and if that is a massive failure I can always disk it up and redo it when my tractor is fixed. I haven't heard of a lot of brassica planting directly into killed off stubble or residue, but it sounds like it's possible.

Will urea damage the brassica seeds? I normally disk in the urea prior to spreading the seed on the cultipacked surface, but with the no-till option I'm not sure whether I should spread urea right away or wait until the seeds germinate and spread right before a rain?

Maybe I'll try planting and cultipacking brassicas seed on the oat stubble this weekend and if that is a massive failure I can always disk it up and redo it when my tractor is fixed. I haven't heard of a lot of brassica planting directly into killed off stubble or residue, but it sounds like it's possible.

Will urea damage the brassica seeds? I normally disk in the urea prior to spreading the seed on the cultipacked surface, but with the no-till option I'm not sure whether I should spread urea right away or wait until the seeds germinate and spread right before a rain?

I usually dont add N until they are up about 3"-6" and a good rain is on the horizon.

Here is a pic i took this AM. These brassicas were broadcast into killed thatch from rye/crimson clover. I seeded on Sunday evening July 12th, we got 1/10" of rain Monday night, and then 1/2" of rain last night.

here's a couple seeds cracking as of tuesday AM after only 1/10" of rain. i pulled some of the thatch back to get a better pic of them. some of the clover and other weeds are still green because i just sprayed them again on Sunday a little while before i seeded.

lots of people seed brassicas into stubble/residue with great results.....its more than just possible...its a very successful method.

I usually dont add N until they are up about 3"-6" and a good rain is on the horizon..

This is usually what I do also, make sure there is rain coming.

I usually dont add N until they are up about 3"-6" and a good rain is on the horizon.

Here is a pic i took this AM. These brassicas were broadcast into killed thatch from rye/crimson clover. I seeded on Sunday evening July 12th, we got 1/10" of rain Monday night, and then 1/2" of rain last night.

here's a couple seeds cracking as of tuesday AM after only 1/10" of rain. i pulled some of the thatch back to get a better pic of them. some of the clover and other weeds are still green because i just sprayed them again on Sunday a little while before i seeded.

lots of people seed brassicas into stubble/residue with great results.....its more than just possible...its a very successful method.

That looks great, thanks for the info and pics. I've never tried the no-till method with the brassicas, but I think I'll try it. I've had very good luck disking up the soil in the past as I was hesitant to change something that works, but tractor problems are making me look at a plan B. I figured someone here tried that and I wasn't disappointed. Thanks again for the info, I'll keep you posted on my plot.

This is usually what I do also, make sure there is rain coming.

I think I'll go with that fertilizer plan as well. Thanks for the feedback-

I add some N along with P and K at planting (no till or not) and then some more a couple weeks later when conditions are right.

You shouldn't have to worry about moisture retention!:eek:

Fricken Rye of yours Stu looked like it was 7' tall!:eek:

Rolled into a nice crop circle!

^^^^ One of my brassica plots was pretty thick with rye, vetch and clover when I rolled it down last Friday. Waiting to see how it turns out.

I wonder if you're going to have a mold risk with that much duff, rain, and humidity. Have you ever just let it stand and lay over on it's own as time goes on?