Planting Brassicas without a cultipacker

Looks good!

Got one more roll, spray and pray plot done today. It was a nasty jungle of rye and weeds. Not super optimistic on this one, but time will tell. One more to go, then I'm done (hopefully) with plots for the year.

Do you give your brassicas a shot of urea a few weeks after they germinate?

Yep...if the rain cooperates

Here is a question. So you guys that have large plots say over an acre. How do you put urea down? Do you hand spread that all? :eek:

Or do you drive over the top and broadcast the urea? Does that damage much when you do that?

My plots are still small enough I do it with a hand spreader. But that will be changing.

I
Yep...if the rain cooperates

I have 3 bags of triple 18 left, would I be fine using that on the brassicas for a boost? I planted end of June and was figuring on fertilizing end of July.

Trip 18 should be fine, it may be a waste of the other nutrients if your soil doesn't need them, but it shouldn't hurt anything at all. Hopefully your brassicas will catch and scavenge the extra nutrients to be used next spring when they decompose.

Trip 18 should be fine, it may be a waste of the other nutrients if your soil doesn't need them, but it shouldn't hurt anything at all. Hopefully your brassicas will catch and scavenge the extra nutrients to be used next spring when they decompose.
Thanks!

Will you be throwing some rye in there to overseed this fall? If so, the rye will help with scavenging those nutrients as well so they wouldn't all be lost.

Actually I will, that will work.

Actually I will, that will work.
You may want to take a page from the dipper playbook and get it down sometime soon so it can add some height to help with deer having to dig through the snow to get it, as opposed to waiting until around Labor Day and getting minimal growth for the short amount of growing days you will have left that far north.

I plan on spreading it in two weeks when I fertilize.

Kind of funny, I am having this same conversation via PM with another forum member right now as well.;) Good luck!

Here is a question. So you guys that have large plots say over an acre. How do you put urea down? Do you hand spread that all? :eek:

Or do you drive over the top and broadcast the urea? Does that damage much when you do that?

My plots are still small enough I do it with a hand spreader. But that will be changing.
what kind of hand spreader? like a push type lawn broadcast spreader? Or a bag spreader? I use the push type broadcast spreader. I usually hit the brassicas with N when they are 3-6" as long as there is sufficient rain on the way, and i would say that the plants that get trampled end up bouncing back or others fill in. Not sure how much difference an atv/utv/scut with spreader would be? I would generally think that the damage would be minimal.

what kind of hand spreader? like a push type lawn broadcast spreader? Or a bag spreader? I use the push type broadcast spreader. I usually hit the brassicas with N when they are 3-6" as long as there is sufficient rain on the way, and i would say that the plants that get trampled end up bouncing back or others fill in. Not sure how much difference an atv/utv/scut with spreader would be? I would generally think that the damage would be minimal.

Right now I just use the normal bag hand seeder that I seed with. I suppose you could do pretty well with a push type one instead of taking the heavy ATV in the field. Not sure how well Brassicas handle being driven over as I've never done it and thus why I am asking.

I don't have large plots. My largest is an acre. I spread using my Solo spreader. Last year I did my neighbor's 1.5ish acre plot on a hot, humid day. Character building :)

The solo hand seeder right? The one I have on my list of items to get next year.

upload_2015-7-13_15-43-26.jpeg

Looks great BJE80. With some steady rain it should explode.

I planted my first brassica plot this weekend, the only thing that I was uncomfortable with was the fact that I couldn't see how the seed was spreading out of my little scott hand seeder. I ended up using way more seed than I was supposed to. Do others just have blind faith that it is spreading out evenly?

Looks good Brad. Storm going thru your area right now.

Looks good Brad. Storm going thru your area right now.

I know. And it sucks. :mad:

I planted my first brassica plot this weekend, the only thing that I was uncomfortable with was the fact that I couldn't see how the seed was spreading out of my little scott hand seeder. I ended up using way more seed than I was supposed to. Do others just have blind faith that it is spreading out evenly?

I know it's too late now but it's really easy to over seed brassicas and it will impact bulb size and leaf size if they are crowding each other.

I think everyone overseeds them the first time.

Solo spreader works great, but if you have deer flies and are spreading soybeans, make sure you close the gate of the spreader before swatting deer fly on your left side.