Permanent Stand Pics

IMG_0845.JPG

This door was modified slightly to fit one of these windows. Notice the little gizmo closer. cut a little piece of hdpe plastic as thick as your window.
Then put another piece on top and adjust the screw pressure how tight you want. There are some small bolts that you have to drill holes in window to bolt on hinge. I assembled the hole works at home and went out to stand and zipped in 6 small wood screws and ready for action. I have 18" overhang roof all the way around so freezing rain or snow is really not a problem. Although on time I had some serious freezing rain and I had to run heater for 5 minutes for everything to unthaw. As a bonus if the sun comes out in the winter you get a little green house effect and you almost don't need a heater inside.

I have tried 4x6, telephone posts and a few others for the deer stand base. recently I started using 6.5 tall x 5' wide scaffold. Geez I dunno what a treated 4x6x14 cost these days but it must be 30 dollars or better. I buy two sets of used scaffold for 100-200 dollars. Set it in concrete footings. sleeve the bottom of the scaffold with some pipe that fits tight inside the scaffold. You need about a 5 to 5.5 foot pipe to fit so four feet is in the ground and 12-18 inch inside the scaffold pipe. drill a hole and put a bolt thru pipe and scaffold, there's a hole in scaffold already so just finish the hole where you want it.
That gets me 13' in the air. I bolt a green treated 2x8 on the top of this set on edge and build a floor in-between these two out of 2x6's. sit whatever stand you want on top of this or build something in place. Should last longer than I will be around....

example of modular walls and floor. roof built in place with two sheets 4x8 and steel on top of that.IMG_0256.JPG

In stiff winds doesn't that thing move around?

This is the last one I built. Trap door which I REALLY like, octagon shaped with long bow windows in the corners. All windows are slide downs. 80% of the material was reclaimed from pallets at work as was the plexi for the windows.
bean%20box_zpsxswsv8kj.jpg

box%20blind%20floor_zpskl5q2io9.png

20160213_103457_zpseu9qhsgl.jpg

This is the last one I built. Trap door which I REALLY like, octagon shaped with long bow windows in the corners. All windows are slide downs. 80% of the material was reclaimed from pallets at work as was the plexi for the windows.
bean%20box_zpsxswsv8kj.jpg

box%20blind%20floor_zpskl5q2io9.png

20160213_103457_zpseu9qhsgl.jpg
Great looking stand. Curious as to why you are such a big fan of a trap door?

In stiff winds doesn't that thing move around?
The first one I built was a little wiggly cause I cheaped out on the concrete. I only went 2 feet on concrete in bottom of hole so the pipe in the ground would wiggle. So I dug the dirt out and filled it to the top with concrete. That pretty much took care of that problem. I haven't noticed the wind making and wiggles. I have only been up there in 30-40 mph wind. Some time when I get time I want to put a cross brace on the ends tying the top scaffold to the bottom, just drill a few holes and put some bolts thru. It does move a bit if someone is moving around in the stand a lot. I think this would take care of that movement in that direction. I have been using it two years now and haven't done anything so its not really bad the way it is.

Great looking stand. Curious as to why you are such a big fan of a trap door?
A few reasons. You can put a big window in all 4 walls(no door), you don't need a landing, easier and quieter access. The first 4 or 5 I built had a door on one wall. A couple didn't have landings and they were a pain to get in and out of. I made a landing with a stair case on one I built for my 79 year old Dad and that access is safe and easy, but it was a lot more material, more work, and takes up a lot more space. Once I built one with a trap door, I switched a couple of the existing ones over and have made everyone since with a trap door. I have a nail with a rope out one of the windows. When I get to the stand I tie my pack and weapon on the rope, climb into the stand and pull my gear up and in the window. Works great!!

A few reasons. You can put a big window in all 4 walls(no door), you don't need a landing, easier and quieter access. The first 4 or 5 I built had a door on one wall. A couple didn't have landings and they were a pain to get in and out of. I made a landing with a stair case on one I built for my 79 year old Dad and that access is safe and easy, but it was a lot more material, more work, and takes up a lot more space. Once I built one with a trap door, I switched a couple of the existing ones over and have made everyone since with a trap door. I have a nail with a rope out one of the windows. When I get to the stand I tie my pack and weapon on the rope, climb into the stand and pull my gear up and in the window. Works great!!
Makes sense. Thanks. I'm not a fan at all of a stand like this where you have to open and close the door while on the ladder. My Pops' old stand is like that and I think it's really dangerous. I've been adding landings to our recent ones but will now consider a trap door setup.

Makes sense. Thanks. I'm not a fan at all of a stand like this where you have to open and close the door while on the ladder. My Pops' old stand is like that and I think it's really dangerous. I've been adding landings to our recent ones but will now consider a trap door setup.

2 years ago my brother ripped the door completely off the hinges when he slipped on the ladder trying to open the door. Luckily he didn't get hurt, but the morning hunt ended before it got started. That stand now has a trap door

Here's mine.........8x8, 15' to the base, started with a trap door but later abandoned and cut a door in the back. Put a UTube vid together when we did the original raising with a make-shift gin pole if anyone is interested. Have moved it twice on skids since. Hopefully she's here to stay!! :-)

20160430_113339.jpg

^^^ very nice

For those of you in cold climate, and run a heater, how do you prevent the windows from getting moisture on them, or freezing? Do you run a vent in the roof, or on the wall towards the ceiling? Any pictures of what you use? I have just left windows open in the past, but then it really doesnt pay to have windows there.

For those of you in cold climate, and run a heater, how do you prevent the windows from getting moisture on them, or freezing? Do you run a vent in the roof, or on the wall towards the ceiling? Any pictures of what you use? I have just left windows open in the past, but then it really doesnt pay to have windows there.

I will always leave at least one window at least partially open due to potential CO2 poisoning. I am also there to hunt as opposed to having temps like my den in my house, too warm and the urge to nap starts. If I can get temps inside above 45-50 F, that's good enough to be comfortable.

I have never run a heater in mine. If I can get out of the rain/snow and wind that is my primary objective. I can dress warm enough to be comfortable in any temp as long as I am out of the elements. The windows are a big help with the wind. With a strong north or west wind I keep that window closed until I need to shoot.

I ran a heater last year for the first time, I will tell you it was nice to sit without a large bulky coat on, and also without gloves on. Normally by 10 am I am cold, and stiff from being cold, and at night my muscles are sore from being tense, and some times from shivering. Running a heater in my deer stand made sitting all day possible, and I wasnt stiff from being cold all day. Is a heater needed? Not at all, but it sure is nice! About 8 years ago I started using my first box stand without windows, and I thought that was the life of luxury, but as I get older, I tend to look for comfort more then convenience. Back then I felt I was to enclosed, and thought I could never get use to it, but after a season or two, it really was nice. Now I moved up to a heated enclosed deer stand with windows. After that I think the next step would be hunting off my deck, but as long as I can still walk into the woods, I will stick with hunting in the woods, but do it as comfy as possibly.

I ran a heater last year for the first time, I will tell you it was nice to sit without a large bulky coat on, and also without gloves on. Normally by 10 am I am cold, and stiff from being cold, and at night my muscles are sore from being tense, and some times from shivering. Running a heater in my deer stand made sitting all day possible, and I wasnt stiff from being cold all day. Is a heater needed? Not at all, but it sure is nice! About 8 years ago I started using my first box stand without windows, and I thought that was the life of luxury, but as I get older, I tend to look for comfort more then convenience. Back then I felt I was to enclosed, and thought I could never get use to it, but after a season or two, it really was nice. Now I moved up to a heated enclosed deer stand with windows. After that I think the next step would be hunting off my deck, but as long as I can still walk into the woods, I will stick with hunting in the woods, but do it as comfy as possibly.

I certainly wasn't trying to say there is anything wrong with running a heater, sorry if I came off that way. I was just saying that I don't use one, but do use the windows to block the wind.

I didnt take it that way at all, I was just defending my reasoning why I started using one, and why I like it.

DSC00119.JPG DSC00119.JPG DSC00120.JPG

Here is a Maverick blind on a platform.

Last edited: