Upgrading a Maverick XL Blind

5 year old buck +
My wife gave me the go ahead to get a new blind (even a Redneck or similar). Am I blessed or what! Blind size and shape was a consideration, as I wanted something I could sleep in-- if needed to ambush "that buck"--while ensuring a comfortable hunt. Ultimately, I opted to spend less and do more...

On order is the new for 2023 7' Maverick XL blind. These have better doors and windows than the earlier models, and I ordered the Nex-Level base/floor kit and Nex-Level entry kit. I plan to elevate the blind 8'.

This thread will attempt to document some goals I have for the tower blind, including:
1) Comfortable for two hunters (office chairs, of course)
2) Quite, with carpet and sound deadening (will need to add)
3) Useful storage (will need to fabricate)
4) "Park under the blind" access for e-bike or ATV
5) Bare-essential solar for lights & phone/camera charging
6) Generally weather tight. The "weak link" on Maverick products has been the doors, so I will be working on getting them right.
7) Propane heater where it will not interfere

The Maverick site has some items of interest, including the solar window fan. I'd like to hear how others have improved their blinds (regardless of brand). I know from experience that a cup holder or bow hanger in the wrong place can ruin a hunt.

If things go as planned, I'll slowly get the blind ready for late Spring deployment. My goal is to have it "turn key" from a practical and convenience perspective when it is placed in service.

Here is a photo of the blind and stand from the Maverick website:

Ladder_Platform__65930.jpeg

Last edited:
Let us know how it is,I was looking at reviews and still talked about the windows.

I have two Booner Blinds by Maverick and the windows have been good (sealing wise), but they open down, which is not good. The XL opens to the side and should solve that complaint. I have hunted in many blinds and am getting to know some landowners who have been through all of the major brands (Redneck, Muddy, Hawk, etc…). I will be candid in my appraisal and provide a cost-breakdown so others can assess the cost-benefit considerations.

I read some more reviews on the maverick as the one I bought years ago had these clear"windows" but were the thickness of 2 pieces of paper and useless to try and use so I took them out and just have to leave covers that covered windows shut unless I want to look or shoot out a window.The covers were just the outside of the blind what was left after cutting hole for window. In the reviews I looked at the mentioned better buy the plexiglass windows that maverick offers which look like they are 20.00 per window. Another thing I did on mine was because I just sat on ground I took some 2 inch plastic duct or pipe and ran around inside of bottom and used compression coupling to connect both ends then ran screws from outside to keep bottom round. I stopped and looked at the Blindsider today and they were probably twice as thick and use a real door and Deer View windows.Big thing I noticed was they do need to be level like it mentions on the website.I suppose each type and quality has it's use, just have to decide whether to get a sealed up one or one slightly less or way more. I think I will build the tower using elevator brackets instead of buying a tower.The Blindsider dealer priced the blind at 2500.00 including floor mat and 5ft tower was 650.00

So far I have just north of $2K in the blind and stand. That will go up when I add carpet, sound deadening and the assorted gun/bow/cup/bino holders, etc… However, I believe by the time the blind is done, it will still be $2500 for a 7’ blind elevated 8’ on a platform with a true entry area. That’s about half required for a Redneck…the question (yet to be answered) is whether or not the blind will provide an equivalent user experience. Obviously I am hoping it will. If not, I’ll sell it and go with a Redneck or 360 blind. As of today, the blind, tower and platform are “in transit” with delivery scheduled for tomorrow.

Let me know how the windows are and if you have to stand to shoot down say 10 yards out.I'm holding off until you give a review

Reactions: 356
Windows look bow friendly. Going to have to figure something out for a shooting rest

Think sleep in and 2 people might of better served with a homemade one.

Need a provision for a vent in there. Propane is goign to fog / ice the windows. Vent you do make the vent, make it with a butterfly valve, or something to adjust flow. Sometimes the propane is too warm. Or have large and small heater for adjusting heat output. A long hose for a 20lb tank should be on the list too.

I have all the stuff for a homemade 8x8. It was supposed to be up at camp. Club president got wierd about it. Some clubs have them, not sure they're 100% ok, but nobody complains about them on the lease. 2 or 3 can be seen by snowmobile trail, so the DEC cops see them in the winter for sure.

Windows look bow friendly. Going to have to figure something out for a shooting rest

Need a provision for a vent in there. Propane is goign to fog / ice the windows. Vent you do make the vent, make it with a butterfly valve, or something to adjust flow. Sometimes the propane is too warm. Or have large and small heater for adjusting heat output. A long hose for a 20lb tank should be on the list too.

I have all the stuff for a homemade 8x8. It was supposed to be up at camp. Club president got wierd about it. Some clubs have them, not sure they're 100% ok, but nobody complains about them on the lease. 2 or 3 can be seen by snowmobile trail, so the DEC cops see them in the winter for sure.
These come with a fan window for venting. I think he mentioned it above.

The vertical windows are similar to my Booner Blinds, and yes, they are bow friendly. I will be making shooting rests & shelving. While sleeping in the blind is an option, an 8’ homemade would be a better sleeping blind, so this is a compromise.

For venting I am ordering the solar window vent kit from Maverick. To warm the blind I use a Buddy Heater with two 1# tanks. Generally that is good for most of the season, as my goal is “kill the chill,” not sit in “room temperature comfort.”

We use 8x8 “Amish built” blinds at deer camp, which is a great size. They are definitely not movable (an option I like to keep open), but are comfortable and quiet.

Having used four-sided, octagon and round blinds, I like the view from the round blinds, which was a consideration.

Whens your new blind coming in?

Whens your new blind coming in?
I picked up the blind and requisite lumber on Monday. The stand and platform kits arrived last week. Now I just have to find time to do the build. This weekend is “take down the outdoor Christmas decorations” and “split more wood” so I am up in the air about when I’ll start the build.

When you get a chance can you evaluate the windows

When you get a chance can you evaluate the windows
The windows will clearly be part of the evaluation. I do not like windows that open "down" and have been "busted" by windows that made noise or stuck when sliding open. Are you more interested in how well the windows perform for hunting (i.e., quite, out of the way, ease of operations) or weather sealing?

On the regular maverick I got 10 years ago the outside cover was the piece that was cut out to make the window then the clear piece was just a formed piece of plastic of what reminds me like the thickness of the plastic package that broadheads come in.They were worthless and got tossed.Put this was the plain old one.Another issue I had with them is they weren't stiff enough to stay round.I took a 2 inch piece of plastic duct and ran on inside of bottom fastened both end together with a coupling and ran screws from outside to keep round.

Have you started working on blind?

No, all of the parts are setting in the shed and the lumber is in the barn waiting for me to get motivated. I was planning on working on the blind today, but my time was diverted to replace our gate opener that stopped working.

I will say the 7' diameter will be nice....my son and I fit the pieces together to get a "feel" for the size.

IMG_4317.jpeg
IMG_4319.jpeg

Assembled the Maverick XL blind today.
Likes: Size—it is definitely a nice size blind and will be perfect for two adults or an adult and a couple of grandkids.
View: The windows provide a nice panoramic view, and the tinting is “just right” to allow good visibility (even in last half-hour light) while reducing visibility from outside.
Dislikes: The pre-drilled window holes were off in several locations, requiring me to drill new holes for three of the nine windows.
The door does not fit tight. I will have to do some customizing to get a tight fit and seal. This will involves some additional latches both insight and out.

Assembly took about 6 hours by myself. About half of that time was adjusting windows and trying to get the door to seal. Once the blind is mounted on the stand I will do the final tweaks to the door and seal any gaps between the blind, floor and other joints.
IMG_4515.jpeg

The Nex-Level blind base frame is now assembled. The next step will be the flooring (treated plywood) and installing the 8' legs. I will be leaving one side of the platform open (i.e., no visible cross-braces) to allow the SxS or e-bike to be parked under the blind. I'll include pictures along the way. The goal is still to have the blind in place by late Spring, as I want the foliage out to help with placement. I am still debating on using spray insulation for the blind. I will defiantly use it on the seams. As with my other blinds, I will use an indoor/outdoor carpet (treated with permethrin) to reduce noise.

3-2-2024. After a cold front and a couple inches of snow mid-week, the weather today was perfect to add the floor to the frame. I used liquid nails between the wood and frame to minimize squeaking. Afterwards I sanded the cut edges, then used wood sealant on the treated plywood based on past experience. After the 8’ platform is added I will install the blind, outdoor carpet, storage bins and solar fan. I still have a ways to go, but the project is coming along as planned.

IMG_4533.jpeg

IMG_4535.jpeg

Last edited:
The Maverick XL window fan arrived today. I'm heading to California to visit some aunts and uncles and friends for what will likely be our last trip to that state, otherwise I'd install it today. I was pleased with the way it works, and believe this will be a good solution to some of the fogging issues in our Booner blind. The fan is solar with a LiON battery, and reverses as needed. In this picture I have not taken the protective covering off the tinted glass, which is pre-cut for the fan.

I also picked up some extra door hardware for each of my blinds. While I have never had an issue with mine, it seems to be a common grip. They are not expensive ($5-10), but if ordered separately, the $10 shipping adds up!

IMG_4571.jpeg