old cast iron pans

how big was that #13?

how big was that #13?
Very big. There's no way my wife would want to move it around. My current largest is a slant logo 11.
The same shop had a 20 a few years ago that I wish I would have bought. That would have looked cool by the fireplace. Kind of like a bear trap!😄

Yeah but a #13 is like the Holy Grail.
I was going to say $1000. I wouldn't pay that much let alone what you're going to say. Probably hoping for $5000

I scored a couple today. They're in the grill right now :)

Attachments

• 20231215_112602.jpg
    20231215_112602.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 18
Wow that’s crazy

I did a search before guessing, but you had already posted the price. There is one on Etsy that is a bargain at $5000.

Absolutely nuts......IMO. Wanna buy a Mikey Mouse watch? $2500 = bargain.

Absolutely nuts......IMO. Wanna buy a Mikey Mouse watch? $2500 = bargain.
It could be worse. You could be collecting 1959 Les Paul's.
Try pricing those sometime.

So the barbecue grill thing works. But I've found it works better if I put them through the electrolysis first. It must loosen up the deep grunge.

Two more pieces.
A WAPAK #7 circa 1903-1910. This thing has done time on hot coals.

IMG_3100.jpegIMG_3099.jpegIMG_3128.jpegIMG_3127.jpeg

And a Griswold Dutch Oven circa 1920 - to when they closed in the late 40's

IMG_3104.jpegIMG_3103.jpegIMG_3123.jpegIMG_3124.jpeg

One more oldie in the electric bath now...

So I’m from Erie, my parents gave me a number of the griswolds. Including a super tiny one. If they are bringing that much money I should sell them!

So I’m from Erie, my parents gave me a number of the griswolds. Including a super tiny one. If they are bringing that much money I should sell them!
Depends on what you have.

If they have spiders cast into them, I'm interested. :)

If they have spiders cast into them, I'm interested. :)
No kidding! That's one I'd pay some big bucks for.

I dont know much about cast iron values.....but doing a quick look on marketplace.....and I could but 50 pieces of Griswold for the price of that pan shown. As said.....I don't know much.....but that is a high price to pay for iron.

I dont know much about cast iron values.....but doing a quick look on marketplace.....and I could but 50 pieces of Griswold for the price of that pan shown. As said.....I don't know much.....but that is a high price to pay for iron.

That price is for the nutjob that thinks he has to have one. #13 was big so they didn't make many, making it rare. #13 was superstitious so not a lot of people wanted one adding to the rare.
It's the 71 Hemi cuda convertible of the pan world. Just gayer 🤣

Man I’m learning a ton from this thread. I had no idea cast iron pans were collectible.

I have both of my grandmothers cast iron skillets. I’m gonna go check them out. Ha

Just say'n.

Last one unless I stumble onto something in passing.
Not exactly sure of the date. Somewhere between 1890 and 1905 is as close as I can get. 3rd series Erie with some hot coal burns on the bottom.

IMG_3101.jpeg
IMG_3102.jpeg
IMG_3143.jpeg
IMG_3142.jpeg

I seasoned two a bit more yesterday.

Brazed pork
IMG_3134.jpeg

Finished in the Dutch oven
IMG_3135.jpeg

Thats really cool!

Nice. We did a roast in the Dutch oven yesterday, too.