old cast iron pans

I don't have your patience. I just clean them with a wire wheel brush on the grinder. I don't smooth the surface, but just remove all of the old gunk. I found a large logo Griswold like your medium size pan this summer. The pan is so smooth and much lighter than expected. You have to wonder how the pans 100 years ago were made better and lighter than current cast iron. Season them a few times and enjoy. Those pans will outlive us all.
I can't believe how light this pan is. And honestly I think it has gotten lighter as the gunk comes off. My son loves to cook on cast iron. I know what he's getting for Christmas.

That is really awesome- it looks great! What a cool gift!

Bill that's really something how you brought them back to life. I have to wonder how that would work if you had a variable voltage & amperage DC power supply. Up the voltage and a little more current maybe it would work faster. That's what I use to etch blades.

What's your guy's seasoning procedure?

Is your electic source a trickler?

What's your guy's seasoning procedure?
Y’know, I have read all kinds of stuff about what oil to use etc, and all I do is wipe whatever oil I have on thin as possible with a paper towel and I use my grill on low heat so i don’t stink up the house. I’ll usually cool it off and do it again if it looks like it needs it.

The mistake I have made is getting oil on too thick, that just creates some goo on the surface.

Ah Griswold's! My favorite. Of course I'm a little biased, being local. I've got a few of them. My favorites are the "Erie's". As Bill said, they're lighter and have a finer finish. I use pure grapeseed oil on my pans.
My wife's great uncle was a dentist in Erie and lived in the Griswold mansion many years ago.

Attachments

• 20231010_072216.jpg
    20231010_072216.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 20231010_072022.jpg
    20231010_072022.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 45
The mistake I have made is getting oil on too thick, that just creates some goo on the surface.
Less is more definitely applies when seasoning the pan. Barely there coats seem to work best for me. I learned this from experience as I had to redo a couple of pans because I applied too much oil.

Some people say to heat the cast iron up a little bit before applying the oil, but I haven't seen much difference between heating the pan and just applying oil to a room temperature pan.

I always seem to get too much on. I don't worry too much about that because they'll even out with use.

The biggest thing that has helped me is not to boil water after use. Just simmer wipe and resason.

The biggest thing that has helped me is not to boil water after use. Just simmer wipe and resason.
That's pretty much what I do, other than the pancake griddles. They just get wiped and another coat of oil.

Bill that's really something how you brought them back to life. I have to wonder how that would work if you had a variable voltage & amperage DC power supply. Up the voltage and a little more current maybe it would work faster. That's what I use to etch blades.

Maybe but. I'd be afraid it might melt them. Maybe I should try with one that isn't savable.

Ah Griswold's! My favorite. Of course I'm a little biased, being local. I've got a few of them. My favorites are the "Erie's". As Bill said, they're lighter and have a finer finish. I use pure grapeseed oil on my pans.
My wife's great uncle was a dentist in Erie and lived in the Griswold mansion many years ago.
I know where some more are. now that I know how to spruce them up I'll be going back for some.

Less is more definitely applies when seasoning the pan. Barely there coats seem to work best for me. I learned this from experience as I had to redo a couple of pans because I applied too much oil.

Some people say to heat the cast iron up a little bit before applying the oil, but I haven't seen much difference between heating the pan and just applying oil to a room temperature pan.

Yeah my pan is back in the tub. I put to much oil on it and set the oven to hot. burnt a brown glaze right back on it.😖
I'll get it, I'm persistent if nothing else...

I know where some more are. now that I know how to spruce them up I'll be going back for some.
I'm looking for a "Erie" smaller than an 8, if you happen to see one.

Here's another griddle that the wife picked up. Needs cleaning up, but should be nice.

Attachments

• 20231204_214353.jpg
    20231204_214353.jpg
    427.4 KB · Views: 37
I'm looking for a "Erie" smaller than an 8, if you happen to see one.

Here's another griddle that the wife picked up. Needs cleaning up, but should be nice.

I'll look when I get back to the junker spot I found these. I know there where some smaller Griswold's, Not sure on the Erie. There was a Griswold dutch oven I'm kicking myself for leaving. Hopefully its there when I get back.

Yeah my pan is back in the tub. I put to much oil on it and set the oven to hot. burnt a brown glaze right back on it.😖
I'll get it, I'm persistent if nothing else...

Cast iron as a metal is very porous. Adding light layers, heating, cooling then repeating the process is a lot like applying polyurethane to a table or countertop. Adding the layers allows the oil to build-up that surface filling the porous gaps in the pan as the metal will expand and crack. That is also why a slow cooling process in the oven is important so you don't contract the metal too quickly.

So will something like this work?