old cast iron pans

So will something like this work?

No I don’t think so. Anything that says automatic or smart will sense the small short and think the battery is bad and turn off.

Need an old dumb charger.

Crisco is my weapon of choice to season cast iron anyone used anything better?

I've seasoned mine with corn oil, stands up well to high temps.

My cast iron pans very seldom see dish water. I just wipe them clean and give a light coat of fresh oil. I use extra virgin olive oil.

For cleaning, get a stainless cast iron scrubbing chain mail. It will allow you to scrub the pan and remove all the burnt and crusted stuff. Wipe out with paper towel. Rinse with cold water and wipe out again until clean. No hot water or detergents as you will break down the oils imbedded in the pans surface.

So will something like this work?

I'm going to change my answer here. Did some more reading and one website says that a smart charger will work if you use it in tandem with a 12 volt battery. Hook the charger to the battery and then hook wires from the battery to the items in your tank. I haven't tested the theory because I don't have a smart charger. But if you have one it would be an easy test.

I saw that as well. Another couple of questions that I can't seem to find the answer to:

Does the cast iron have to be suspended or can it touch the side of the container?
Can copper wire connect multiple pieces and then the charger clamped to that?

Also, does the washing soda have to be mixed in the water or can it just sit at the bottom?

I use coconut oil on mine.

I saw that as well. Another couple of questions that I can't seem to find the answer to:

Does the cast iron have to be suspended or can it touch the side of the container?
Can copper wire connect multiple pieces and then the charger clamped to that?
Also, does the washing soda have to be mixed in the water or can it just sit at the bottom?

It can touch the side but you may have to turn it. and let it run again. The side closes to the + side cleans better. It got much better when I added a plus side to both sides of the tank and suspended it.

Yes you can do more then one by connecting them but the more in the tank the longer it takes.

Mix the washing soda.

My pan restoration is on hold. My son came home for a few days and since there going to him for Christmas I put the project under wraps. Literally

Bill - Great finds on those cast pieces! Nothing like the old veteran cookware. They are generation-to-generation-to-generation pieces. You can't wear 'em out. Good luck with getting them all back cooking again!

I've got an instruction book from Lodge, the CI folks. They advise when cooking with CI, to slowly heat the pan / griddle / Dutch oven, so it doesn't warp. They also say to slowly let it cool down again. No dish soaps, detergents, or steel wool pads. They advise using just a poly-bristle brush made for cooking pots & warm water to clean, (not the kind of cleaning Bill's pans needed!), then wipe on another very thin coat of oil to store it. That's Lodge's advice for currently-used CI pans.

Nothing like cast iron cookware. Our sons got CI skillets and Dutch ovens for gifts a few years back. CI griddle is the boss in our kitchen!

Finally finished. So my wife talked to a fellow in his 70's that collects these things. He said the best way he found to clean them is an hour in the barbecue grill on high. I figured why not. They had all been in the electrolysis tank but still needed more. The grill followed by some scrubbing with scotch-brite got all the gunk off.

Seasoned 3 times with very very thin crisco.

Number 6 is in the worst shape for pitting.
IMG_3077.jpeg
IMG_3063.jpegIMG_3062.jpeg

Number 8 turned out decent.

IMG_3079.jpegIMG_3058.jpegIMG_3052.jpeg

My favorite obviously is the old 1890's Erie # 10. I'd like to find more of these.

IMG_3078.jpegIMG_3059.jpegIMG_3061.jpeg

Finally finished. So my wife talked to a fellow in his 70's that collects these things. He said the best way he found to clean them is an hour in the barbecue grill on high. I figured why not. They had all been in the electrolysis tank but still needed more. The grill followed by some scrubbing with scotch-brite got all the gunk off.

View attachment 60488
View attachment 60489View attachment 60490

View attachment 60491View attachment 60492View attachment 60493

My favorite obviously is the old 1890's Erie # 10. I'd like to find more of these.

View attachment 60494View attachment 60495View attachment 60496

So awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Erie looks great!

View attachment 60488
View attachment 60489View attachment 60490

View attachment 60491View attachment 60492View attachment 60493

View attachment 60494View attachment 60495View attachment 60496
WOW they turned out great. I sure hope they are going to be wall hangers and not just put in the cupboard.