old cast iron pans

Great catch and informative thread on CI. About six years ago I found the cast iron I had purchased back in 1980 (used). It was all I had until I married in 1982 and we started using non-stick. That cast iron is now used almost daily, along with a few additional pieces we added.

Your son will be enjoying a wonderful Christmas gift.

So I have a bunch of cast iron that I would like to clean. Would you say the electrolysis tank worked well enough to get most of the grime off? Or would you just go straight to the grill and scotch right pads from now on? By the way, those pans look awesome

My wife got into CI a few years ago. Not sure if it's proper or not, but we used easy-off oven cleaner on a few caked up pans. A couple rounds of that and scotch bright and they looked great after re-seasoning.

My wife got into CI a few years ago. Not sure if it's proper or not, but we used easy-off oven cleaner on a few caked up pans. A couple rounds of that and scotch bright and they looked great after re-seasoning.
That's how I've done it.
Never tried electrocution.

My dad gave me a bunch of cast iron many many years ago that was pretty caked with gunk. I dropped them off at Napa and had them send them out for cleaning like you would an engine block they came back very clean.

So I have a bunch of cast iron that I would like to clean. Would you say the electrolysis tank worked well enough to get most of the grime off? Or would you just go straight to the grill and scotch right pads from now on? By the way, those pans look awesome

When I find more the will go straight to the grill to see how the grill only works.

WOW they turned out great. I sure hope they are going to be wall hangers and not just put in the cupboard.
No these ones are definitely getting used.

I bought some Lodge cast iron pans a few years ago....the lowest cost you can find. Surface on most of the new stuff is quite rough. I took some emery cloth on a vibratory sanding pad and went to work. May have spent an hour or two and ended up with some relatively fine grit. Ground the cast to a finish that was smooth as a baby's butt. <----that is one of the biggest differences between cast iron pans.....IMO. After I got that pan smooth......did a couple of seasoning operations with coconut oil.....IIRC. Nothing sticks to that CI now.......and the price of the new lodge pans is pretty good.....as compared to the high quality old iron......which is almost collector prices these days.

Here's a bit of a rare one. Especially in the condition it's in.
It's not mine, but caught my eye in an antique shop. I was kind of excited for a few seconds until I checked the price tag.
Anyone care to guess how much?

Attachments

• 20231215_112542.jpg
    20231215_112542.jpg
    409.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 20231215_112550.jpg
    20231215_112550.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 35
OK....I'll play. $100.

OK. Then I will furnish the top price too....of $300. (if anyone is willing to pay more for this pan.....they should be committed).

We now should have a price range. ;).

I'll give it a little while.

Keep in mind, for any serious collector of these, this pan is near the top of the list for the last one they need to finish their collection. Plus it's near mint condition.

Are you going to throw in a bridge?? If someone will pay higher than 2575.....they gotta be absolutely nuts. ........and I bet they got a pile of Beanie Baby's too.

Actually, not just higher, but alot higher!😬

(BTW, I am in no way saying it's worth it!)

Maybe their asking price is super high so it won't sell.

Yeah but a #13 is like the Holy Grail.
I was going to say $1000. I wouldn't pay that much let alone what you're going to say. Probably hoping for $5000

I scored a couple today. They're in the grill right now :)