Ohio Farm Tours

I’m ready just waiting on the weather to catch up with my enthusiasm. I am tossing the idea of going up to my brothers this spring and maybe making some maple syrup this year idk yet if I will but it’s running around in my head this year.
This is me every year. I always have far bigger ideas than time!

Not only are the brassica plentiful - wait till Spring the clovers and grains will completely fill this field up with food for deer, soil and pollinators!

Last edited:

Very late season or post season and checkin on your deer weights is critical. We are happy to see that our does are looking healthy. These does will produce top quality healthy fawns in good habitat and they’ll have plenty to eat!!

IMG_5719.png

What difference is there in corn stalk break down between till to no-till? Is it just that burying some of the corn leaves when tilling gets them in contact with more soil so they break down faster?

What difference is there in corn stalk break down between till to no-till? Is it just that burying some of the corn leaves when tilling gets them in contact with more soil so they break down faster?

when you till corn or any heavy residue for that matter - you create a huge influx of oxygen. Just like when you put oxygen to a fire - you get rapid nutrient breakdown and release. The problem is you also get a large increase in microbes, if they don’t have enough carbon to continue to eat - they can eat your OM. You can literally mine your OM out of your soils.

Also keep in mind this is only a negative I am discussing in regards to thatch breakdown but we can also discuss the oxidation that occurs - such as iron and other negatives, if that’s of interest.

Hope this helps.

Albert

How can we impact water flow in soils?

How can these critters help you achieve your soil goals?!

Why we like our Summer Mix

IMG_5835.jpegIMG_5834.jpegIMG_5832.jpegThe sun has set on another Ohio deer season. This season was honestly one for the record books for us.

We are very happy to see our deer are still finding plenty to eat in the Carbon Load food-plots. The deer weights appear to be extremely healthy and of course we have a few bucks in mind that we look forward to seeing in fall 2024.

Just a great time of year to reflect on our blessings that we get to live in the greatest country in the world, farm, garden, hunt and share it all with our friends and families.

Be safe and enjoy this habitat season.

We will be planting soon!!

Quick guide I use to help me stay organized

I just finished this book - great book!

As much as I learn about soils - the more I realize the infinite areas to continue my learning.

I often recommend (to those interested) to find as eclectic a sourcing of information as possible. As you do this you’ll find the intersections of process,procedure and data that best work for you and your farm.

It’s ok to not understand it all. To pause and look up a term or simply skip a chapter here and there if it doesn’t appeal to you.

My suggestion to you all is just don’t ever stop questioning. Science and scientific discovery is only as good as the questions we ask and complacency will not progress our knowledge in soil health, ruminant health, carbon sequestration, nutrient density and so much more.

Enjoy it yall! Spring is on the way!!

IMG_5850.jpeg

New crop added or to consider - here is why!?

How should you plant your plots? Lots of options!!

As much as we preach soil testing - sometimes it’s good to just play in the soil. Stick a shovel in and see what’s happening.

This is far from the best soil on the farm but it sure is coming along absolutely beautifully!

Soil is covered
Variety of roots from the carbon load
Greens still photosynthesizing
Worms till for us
Soils is aggregated
Color is darkening and becoming more rich
Etc.

Healthy soils, make healthy plants, that feed healthy animals and people.
IMG_5901.jpeg

IMG_5937.jpegIMG_5936.jpegIMG_5935.jpeg4 years in the Vitalize 1-2 system (I was using it on my farm before we formed company) on a rocky top, logging deck in the foothills of Appalachia. This fields never had any amendments other than lime.

When I first started writing blogs - many would tell me “that won’t work”

When @slayton_arrowslanger and I formed Vitalize Seed - we heard so many reasons why it won’t work - all have since been disproven.

We continued to work hard towards maximizing our testing, mixes, consulting with growers, putting out a product and system we know will work to create better soils. We’ve now had success from Maine to Texas and growing.

For those who’ve supported us from day 1 we appreciate you. For those interested in feeding a ton of soil and wildlife - give us a call.

If you’re interested in soil health and conservation- just dive in. There will always be 1000 reasons not to do something - pictured above is your reason to try! For if not trying - what is anything worth anyways?

Thanks all!