All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ohio Farm Tours

IMG_5277.jpegIMG_5278.jpegIMG_5255.jpegIMG_5279.jpegAs many seasons come to an end- this is a great time to take inventory of bucks that made it through the season and get a general idea of deer densities. Good quality food-plots can help with both of these goals, not to mention continuing to feed deer until Spring (that’s the goal!!).

I always like check-
1. How the plots are holding up? Key here is exclusion fences - as we’ve discussed so many times before but I feel it’s of critical importance. Also assess natural browse pressure in clear cut or hinge cut areas - is there anything left?
2. How can I plan for an even better next year (more food plots? More doe harvest? More tsi work? Stricter buck age requirements on farm? All the above?)
3. When and how will you soil sample this year? Do you have a plan of attack? What type of test? Have you considered marking your soil test locations with gps - to reduce variables in testing? This can lead to much more consistency in results
4. Plan for shed season! Use that time to scout. Find bucks that made it. Enjoy getting into those areas of the farm, you otherwise would not enter.

Most importantly - when you get outside, enjoy the outdoors!!

Enjoy the WINS you had in 2023 and enjoy the planning process for next year. We at Vitalize Seed know you have a lot of options and that’s why we appreciate every one of you!!

Wishing you all a safe and blessed last few days of 2023!

Our summer time cover crop not only feeds the heck out of soil. It also feeds our whitetails as well!! I cannot wait to get back on the tractor and scout Summer Time bucks!!

Should you take advantage of that free manure you have access to? Maybe! First, let’s do a manure analysis.

We love venison and everyone who follows this page knows we have plenty this year. One great Christmas gift was a dehydrator from my father in law! This is being used to make huge patches of jerky while the family and I recover from a bad bout with a cold. Wishing you all a safe and blessed New Year! What’s your favorite jerky recipe?!

IMG_5308.jpeg

Anyone ever seen anything like this? I believe this buck is 5 years old. I’ve had pics of him a couple years. He holds velvet late into year - before he sheds some of it. Testicular injury? Antlered Doe? What do yall think?!

One thing is for sure - he ain’t starving and regardless of “score” he will be top on list next year. That large bodied deer will consume a lot of forage that could otherwise be ate by a high potential 2 or 3 year old.

IMG_5320.jpeg

I'll guess antlered doe but you'll have to let us know when you put your hands on it next year.

I'll guess antlered doe but you'll have to let us know when you put your hands on it next year.

Thank you!! I thought so but then when he’s shed velvet - I thought maybe there is some testosterone causing that to occur but idk! I think it’d be a sweet mount and it’ll eat great!

Let’s talk tissue testing and why it’s important!

Happy New Years!!

IMG_1535.jpegIMG_4086.jpegIMG_4061.jpegIMG_9797.jpegIMG_3399.jpegIMG_3625.jpegAn amazing and blessed 2023!!

Thankful for our customers and friends

Thankful for our families that allow us to enjoy our passions of managing the farms

Thankful for all those who listen to our videos and posts

Thankful to for opportunity to drive interest in soil health

Thankful for our ability to give back to charities and conservation organizations - this isn’t possible without you all!!

We had a season that will be hard to beat, thanks to our Vitalize Seed food-plots and a little luck!

We will continue to increase plantable acreage, manage does harvest, and heavily manage timber on the farm. All three are of critical importance to if you want to grow healthy and big deer.

Most importantly- if you use Vitalize Seed or not- We appreciate you all and this amazing country that allows to chase,enjoy and share our passions.

Wishing you all a safe and blessed New Years! Please get home safe if you go out and celebrate.

#nye #soils #foodplots #foodplot #seed #garden #farm #farms #farm #hunting #huntin #bucks #does

Little discussion on conservation tillage

How to think about soil nutrients = solubility

IMG_7885.pngIMG_3663.jpegIMG_3656.jpegIMG_3662.jpegMy favorite part of our Fall Carbon Load - is how it performs in the Spring.

From a costing perspective it would be easy to leave things out like fixation balansa, chicory, frosty berseem clover, crimson clover and our diverse mix of cold hearty grains.

However, when we started Vitalize Seed we said we wouldn’t sell anything that we wouldn’t plant on our own farms! We stand by this message.

This Spring green up will feed soil, deer, turkeys and early pollinators - when most else is still dormant in the whitetail woods.

We will then plant our Spring NitroBoost right into this around May or June - that preps the soils for our Carbon Load,once again! Cycling nutrients and reducing our needs for massive amounts of costly inputs along the way.

We know there are a lot of great choices out there and we appreciate you all who follow and trust in Vitalize Seed.

Have a safe and blessed weekend!

The good news here is that the deer are still finding plenty of food in the carbon load food-plot. This is definitely the benefit of diversity.

The other news is that we might need to further increase our doe management efforts next year.

That’s the beauty of management. It’s fluid and forever evolving.

Hunting observations
Trial camera observations
Browse surveys
Exclusion fences

These are a few of the items we use to help us to understand what is going on across our farms, and how our harvest quotas can change from year to year. We want to maximize forage and tonnage - not only for our deer but also for our soil health!

IMG_5452.jpeg

Big buck story part one from my good friend @warnerd2 ! Guy plants vitalize seed now and is a big buck killer!! When he talks, we listen!

IMG_5467.jpegIMG_5466.jpegAnother round of jerky put in the freezer. Really impressed with this seasoning. Thanks to several buddies who recommended.

My good buddy - Danny - on part two of this Ohio stud. Danny is a great friend and fantastic deer hunter. His observations and strategies that go into continuing to kill mature deer is inspiring!! Check it out!

Reactions: 356
Step by step - how I plan to fix poor soils and over browse! As always - I hope this helps! Stay safe and well!

Let’s discuss frost seeding - how does it work?

Let’s talk cover crop termination options!

Soil compaction - let’s talk about it!