NW Minnesota

are you in the lake bronson area? what river is that, looks like great country!

are you in the lake bronson area? what river is that, looks like great country!

Yep, west of Lake Bronson. My farm is on the Two Rivers which is just north of the photo

Super view from the drone !! I can't imagine hunting deer in such an open flat area !!! I guess any cover becomes the " go - to " area ?? I like the spruce blocks.

Super view from the drone !! I can't imagine hunting deer in such an open flat area !!! I guess any cover becomes the " go - to " area ?? I like the spruce blocks.

and this is in a hilly area compared to the rest of us! isn't the halma/bronson areas all gravel ridges?

it's cool how close you are to us. we're just SE of strandquist

You're confusing me with someone else in Minn. !! ^^^^^ I'm in Pa. - mtns ...... no flat areas like the pic from the drone !!!

The place looks beautiful. I love the drone picks and you can see why deer would flock to your pines to bed. Create some quality habitat inbetween all of the Ag and you could really draw them in.

and this is in a hilly area compared to the rest of us! isn't the halma/bronson areas all gravel ridges?

it's cool how close you are to us. we're just SE of strandquist

Pretty flat but the river bottom (not pictured) is quite a drop, that is where a lot of the activity is.

The place looks beautiful. I love the drone picks and you can see why deer would flock to your pines to bed. Create some quality habitat inbetween all of the Ag and you could really draw them in.

It is nice up there, although there are farm sites and small towns around it, I rarely see a bow hunter up in that area. The rifle season is busy though. Not terrible. Yes, they love to bed in the spruce trees. In most cases there are 8-20 deer bedding in there at any given time. With aspen woods on both sides, they mingle in between and we get opportunities as they leave the spruce trees.

We rarely hunt in the spruce trees as we leave it for a sanctuary, we broke that rule a few years back and my buddy shot a nice 135 inch 9 pointer in the middle of the blocks. During the gun season, deer head in there for safety.

It would be a new experience for me too. That is flat.

It's different hunting that is for sure. You can see forever from one stand though!

Steady and quite often windy!! About 5 years ago I hunted an evening by the river bottom where it meets the CRP and it was terribly windy---40 mph winds. Where I hunt in west central MN you would rarely see a deer move in those conditions. That evening I think I saw around 17 deer and at least one big buck. They must be used to it!

Is that part of MN about as flat as the area east of Fargo?

Yes it is. There are a few ridges but really flat!

Flat is almost an understatement. The red river of the north average less than 1 foot per mile drop for hundreds of miles. My brother said some of the crop fields they harvested up in red river valley had elevation changes of less than 6 inches on a full section (640 acres). I still like the terrain of river bottoms and terrain east side of the old glacial lake bed from what I have seen driving through there.

Steady and quite often windy!! About 5 years ago I hunted an evening by the river bottom where it meets the CRP and it was terribly windy---40 mph winds. Where I hunt in west central MN you would rarely see a deer move in those conditions. That evening I think I saw around 17 deer and at least one big buck. They must be used to it!
Is hunting pressure part of it?

Just for comparison - a ridge in the Pa. mtns. is 500 ft. to 2000 ft. in elevation change !! 75 ft. to 250 ft. or so we call a " hogback ".

With all that open country, I can believe the deer home-in on the blocks of spruce or other timber for cover !! What's in your crp?? Do you guys throw seed mixes down or is it all strictly whatever grows wild ?? Do you add anything TO the wild stuff ??

CRP is mostly switchgrass and it does pretty well up there. A few willows grow up wild in the CRP and the deer bed in the willow areas.

I also planted 5.3 acres of trees as part of the riparian buffer CRP (I like when they pay for your trees)...Look at me asking for a handout!!Kitt Trees-15.jpg

What variety of trees did you plant?

Spruce/Pine/Ash/Oak/Hackberry/Plum and Chokecherry. I think a few more, I don't have my list in front of me. Pin Cherry is another one. Dogwood maybe too?

We just drove threw that area.Went from International Falls to Bemidji and on to Grand Forks for a night. Left Friday morning on the way back home so we traveled north to Drayton and across Highway 11 I believe threw Donaldson,Karlstad and on to Warroad.What a change in terrain over the trip.The sugar beet harvest is in full swing, i plan to plant some next year for the deer.

We just drove threw that area.Went from International Falls to Bemidji and on to Grand Forks for a night. Left Friday morning on the way back home so we traveled north to Drayton and across Highway 11 I believe threw Donaldson,Karlstad and on to Warroad.What a change in terrain over the trip.The sugar beet harvest is in full swing, i plan to plant some next year for the deer.

I had an 80 near 11 in Karlstad. That farm was my first purchase and helped me get additional acres. Friend owns it now, he and I have planted thousands of trees on that 80, and its impressive now!!

Best tree in terms of survival and growth was the scotch pine!! Must be a localized thing?

Busy area during the sugar beet harvest, deer sure love those beets!

I am glad you had success with the scotch pines. I have been slowly gaining on mine but the deer seem to like them too.I have been basically unemployed the last year and still do not seem to have time to get my habitat work done.Going to try to cross some farm work off the list now and leave the woods alone till prime season.