NW Minnesota

bwoods11

5 year old buck +
Here are a few pictures from my farm in Kittson County of NW MN. This is an area where many of you may not have traveled and I thought it would be interesting to show some photos. Any other members would like to add photos to this thread---please do!

This area of the state has very diverse wildlife. I have seen deer, bear, elk, fisher, eagles, ducks, geese, sharptail and ruffed grouse, sandhill cranes, fox and coyote while hunting up there. We have also have had wolves on camera.

Very flat country that has some excellent wildlife cover. River bottoms, wooded areasKittson 218.jpg , CRP, swamps and overgrown pasture to name a few. Really nice deer country. This is a real sleeper for nice bucks, could be dynamite if our DNR could figure out how to get some age on the bucks!!

I only see one picture?

Kittson River-2.jpg
sorry got interrupted....Two Rivers in the spring

Kittson Aspen.jpg
An area of Aspen that transitions from the river bottom to my spruce trees (good funnel)

Kittson Spruce 2014.jpg
I have a total of 28 acres of mature spruce trees surrounded by CRP

Kittson Spruce-2.jpg

Inside look, quite a few deer bed in here. There were 15-20 deer in here most of the fall, unfortunately not much for bucks in 2015?? This year should be better

Kitt Trees-15.jpg
5.3 acres of CRP tree planting done in 2014. Spruce/Pine/Oak/Plum/Hackberry/and some other shrubs

Should be a great addition to the river bottom cover to the north

Mowing Kittson 2015.jpg

A little mowing is done every year for trails and the tree rows. I know I should have a tractor!! The CRP is clean and relatively weed free.

Looks like you have a nice piece of land there. It would be nice to have some river woods, I wouldn't want river land much further west than you though.

View attachment 6666
5.3 acres of CRP tree planting done in 2014. Spruce/Pine/Oak/Plum/Hackberry/and some other shrubs

Should be a great addition to the river bottom cover to the north
How tall are your tubes?

[Kittson crossing.jpg
Nice crossing that is used by deer and bear. My son had a bear go right underneath him while bow hunting in Septemberbear.jpg

Kittson-View from my tree.jpg

Here is picture---from my stand--- the CRP and crop to the south of the river bottom. Spruce trees to the southwest and the aspen woods on the very south end of the farm.

How tall are your tubes?

Short
I basically put the tree tubes in to keep track of the rows. I had some left over and it gives the trees a little protection and it helps when I mow. I would have preferred to have weed mat, but that area did not qualify.

image.jpg image.jpg

A couple of nice bucks we had on our farm a few years ago. We didn't get either one...

I thought they only had 9 man football in that area?

Nice pics, looks like a good area :)

Zone 260 is Lottery this year. This is where my farm is. Zone 264 is hunters choice, so we should see deer populations recover pretty fast. I talked with a landowner that left 5 acres of standing beans last winter and he had 30-40 deer in his beans every night in December and January (near Karlstad).

Great pics. Thanks for sharing. Only been up there once but it was beautiful. We moved a shed from Rogers, MN to Karlstad, Mn. Talk about a long trip.