All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Northwest Wisconsin Deer Numbers

Terrific_tom

5 year old buck +
I got back last week after spending a month traveling the back roads of Bayfield and Douglas County helping a bear guide and bear hunting. Deer numbers are still very very low. There are deer in the ag areas up there but there isn't a ton of ag land. Also around the Lakes areas where people are feeding you will find a few deer. When you get into the Big woods there are little to no deer. There was a bumper crop of acorns this year and you would expect to see a few more deer but there weren't any deer to be found. There was wolf sign every where you go. Got to listen to a pack howl very close to the city limits of Iron River, WI every time a siren would go off. Got to see a Booner twice when I was bear baiting. He calls a 80 acre piece of Plum Creek Timberlands home. I would be up there hunting him but I think my wife would not be happy after I was gone for a month already. So any one thinking that the deer numbers up there will be recovering in the near future, think again.

I don't hunt up there but this is still sad to hear

I think u answered your own question. There are pockets of deer, some of which might have too high of densities. We all get wrapped up in population, and forget about density. Most of northern wi is mature woods, which is poor habitat.
Like it or not, the population and densities of the early 2000s are gone and will never return.

I think u answered your own question. There are pockets of deer, some of which might have too high of densities. We all get wrapped up in population, and forget about density. Most of northern wi is mature woods, which is poor habitat.
Like it or not, the population and densities of the early 2000s are gone and will never return.

Actually Dipper there has been plenty of logging in both counties. The areas where I saw deer were by no means too high of densities. The fallacy that most of Northern Wisconsin is mature woods is just that a fallacy at least in Douglas and Bayfield County. There are thousand and thousands of acres of prime deer habitat and no deer sign at all. Lots of wolf and bear sign no matter where you went.

Right about never. Land going less than $600/acre. With some major habitat improvements you could have quality hunting on a 100 acre property. Not everywhere maybe, and not ag country quality. A wolf isn't going to catch a deer in a 40 acre hinged mess. A bear isn't going to find a fawn either. For the $, a good hunt is a reality!

Right about never. Land going less than $600/acre. With some major habitat improvements you could have quality hunting on a 100 acre property.

Doubt that.

I am across the border from Douglas county (30 miles from the border as the crow flies) and have similar observations. There are definitely pockets of higher populations, but they are far from too high. High pockets in our area might be 15 DPSM of adult deer, some pockets might be closer to 20 where there is more ag a bit south of us but that is stretching it.

For a 100 acre property to have "ok" hunting based on the standards of most here the you better have 3 neighbors with another 100 acres each making improvements as well. And some guys with beef cattle that try to keep the wolves away. For the money, I agree that a person can get some good hunting/recreational ground if you are looking for a little bit of everything. A stand alone 100 acres with a decent layout you might get a shot at a 2.5+ year old buck every couple years.

I am across the border from Douglas county (30 miles from the border as the crow flies) and have similar observations. There are definitely pockets of higher populations, but they are far from too high. High pockets in our area might be 15 DPSM of adult deer, some pockets might be closer to 20 where there is more ag a bit south of us but that is stretching it.

For a 100 acre property to have "ok" hunting based on the standards of most here the you better have 3 neighbors with another 100 acres each making improvements as well. And some guys with beef cattle that try to keep the wolves away. For the money, I agree that a person can get some good hunting/recreational ground if you are looking for a little bit of everything. A stand alone 100 acres with a decent layout you might get a shot at a 2.5+ year old buck every couple years.

Forgot to mention that a guy raising beef cattle started the summer with 16 calves and is down to 4 calves. Several hunters saw wolves out in the pasture during day time.

I see the same results in the ag country of central Mn.

Many hunters in far northern Mn. are even thrilled to see a spike buck.
Last year, one hunter told me he hoped he would get a wolf tag so he had a reason to go to his deer camp. There were that few deer. Now we have no wolf season.

I see the same results in the ag country of central Mn.

Many hunters in far northern Mn. are even thrilled to see a spike buck.
Last year, one hunter told me he hoped he would get a wolf tag so he had a reason to go to his deer camp. There were that few deer. Now we have no wolf season.

So we are going to buy $5 million dollars more deer land up there. Pretty good deal for the paper company.

So we are going to buy $5 million dollars more deer land up there. Pretty good deal for the paper company.
That's not the area I am talking about.
I hope that purchase is discussed next week, but I know our opinions vary on this topic.

The Minnesota plague invading!!!!!! Trump, we need a habitat talk wall!!!!

The Minnesota plague invading!!!!!! Trump, we need a habitat talk wall!!!!

A simple dislike button would show some on here how much they are appreciated.