My wife lost her mind when she saw these bucks last night!

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
Late yesterday afternoon, we hooked up the horse trailer and went to load two of our horses. We parked the trailer beside the road and I walked across the road to get one of the horses out of the pasture. I had got him, had him by the trailer and was brushing him. HIs ears perked, I looked and told my wife to get the binoculars out of my truck. 80 yards away and across the road right from where I had just got the horse came a 180 plus inch 10 point, then came a 170 plus inch non-typical. Without a care in the world they kept walking toward the road, looked our way, looked for traffic (I kid you not) and waited to jump the fence to go into one of my plots.

Vehicles came a few times and they would pull back some before jumping the fence. This was clearly a normal evening routine for them. My wife has seen some really nice bucks, but had never seen two of this caliber together and so close.

Honestly, I did not expect them there. I know the 180 plus well. They had been laying in a very small patch of very mature oaks keeping cool and waiting to come out and feed.

I hate they are crossing the road daily but don't think there is anything I can do about it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You could try shooting them before they become roadkill. That's where I would start.

The bucks are still in their bachelor groups this time of year.

Yep I am concerned the biggest will be hit before it is legal to shoot him. He pretty much did the same thing last year and made it.

Yep, been watching batchler groups for many many many years. Kind of funny use to think they would be easy to kill after seeing a group together this time of year.

Wtnut, that's sounds like the kind of problem to have!

I usually have a small bachelor group or two every year. 2-4 bucks. I have the strangest group this year. Probably the biggest buck I have ever had and two yearlings. Is this strange or do they hang with whom ever is around. I guess the pecking order will be easy to establish.

What kind of horses do you have? Just spent last three days at Saratoga, three of us are thinking about going in on a horse. Something about horses calms the soul. Anyone ever in upstate NY during August I highly recommend going to the track. Even if you care nothing about betting, go to the practice track at 530 am. You can stand close enough to touch the horses. Their power, speed, and grace is something to see when running full speed past you at 10 yards.

Where are the photos of these Boone and Crockett animules?

Need pics of these 2 studs!

Wtnut, that's sounds like the kind of problem to have!

Yea we saw some good ones again tonight.

I usually have a small bachelor group or two every year. 2-4 bucks. I have the strangest group this year. Probably the biggest buck I have ever had and two yearlings. Is this strange or do they hang with whom ever is around. I guess the pecking order will be easy to establish.

What kind of horses do you have? Just spent last three days at Saratoga, three of us are thinking about going in on a horse. Something about horses calms the soul. Anyone ever in upstate NY during August I highly recommend going to the track. Even if you care nothing about betting, go to the practice track at 530 am. You can stand close enough to touch the horses. Their power, speed, and grace is something to see when running full speed past you at 10 yards.

At the farm we have Tennessee Walking horses also called plantation hoses b some. They are not the ones trained to show. They are a veRy smooth gait and easy to deal with in all ways. My favorite breed for getting around by far.

Where are the photos of these Boone and Crockett animules?

Hmm I went a decade before sending a single photo to anyone - not even a photo of any bucks I have killed. Then I sent a kill photo to a friend with instructions to not share or forward. Two weeks later a stranger showed the photo to a friend of mine at a convention in New Orleans when they started talking deer hunting. The stranger did not know I knew the guy he was talking to. That photo will be the last deer photo of any type I share with anyone. I am just too secretive about the bucks we have because we went from having next to ZERO deer period to having some really nice deer.

Hmm I went a decade before sending a single photo to anyone - not even a photo of any bucks I have killed. Then I sent a kill photo to a friend with instructions to not share or forward. Two weeks later a stranger showed the photo to a friend of mine at a convention in New Orleans when they started talking deer hunting. The stranger did not know I knew the guy he was talking to. That photo will be the last deer photo of any type I share with anyone. I am just too secretive about the bucks we have because we went from having next to ZERO deer period to having some really nice deer.

I'm the same way. I post all of my game camera pictures to a web site but access is limited to the other owners of the property. We worked way to hard getting a handle on trespassing and poaching to give the poachers any advantage. I see cell phone pictures if big bucks posted on trail camera forums. I've downloaded a few just out of curiosity. Sure enough, the GPS coordinates of where and when the pictures were taken were still in the metadata. I could easily see a poacher using that information to poach a trophy buck. I post pictures of does and young bucks, but nothing close to a shooter any more.

Thanks,

Jack

If your so secretive why are you talking about them crossing the road to your plots?

Lots of folks talk big. Fish stories abound. A poacher would waste a lot of time chasing down stories. A picture with time and GPS coordinates is like a bullseye for them.

If your so secretive why are you talking about them crossing the road to your plots?

So that people like you can enjoy the experience. When I looked today, they were really more like 50-60 yards away.

Lots of folks talk big. Fish stories abound. A poacher would waste a lot of time chasing down stories. A picture with time and GPS coordinates is like a bullseye for them.

I turn location services off on my cell phone but don't know enough about game cameras to know if they can be tracked. There are just some things I don't share: wife, my deserts and deer photos. Other than that I am just about as generous as anyone you will ever meet.

Just depends on the camera. They never used to have that capability but once cell phones drove down the price of cams, some companies started using cell phone components in game cams. That increased when they started making cellular game cams. So today, many have GPS and include that in the meta data of the picture along with the date/time stamp and many other camera parameters.

I like you approach. It is a good balance between sharing general experiences with folks and putting so much out there that it can be turned against you.