More of a REALLY post.

I like upland bird hunting - a lot! Until recently my most shocking reality was coming to the grips with the fact that I am still thinking of getting rid of my best bird dog to make way for an up and coming pup. Well move aside with that. My nephew has been on me to order a Beretta over and under.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry, you lost me at "getting rid of". Didn't read anything about the guns.

You get a dog, they are your dog until they aren't a dog anymore.

-John

You train a dog to be loyal and then you treat it like it is a disposable tool. More concerned with your gun than the dog ... never understood this way of thinking.

You can't get rid of a bird dog regardless of what up and comer you have.

Why not?

When I was in high school I was as poor as dirt, actually poorer than that. I worked for a man who gave me my first bird dog. It was his oldest dog, and one of his best. To this day, it was one of the best and kindest thing anyone has ever done for me. Frank took care of his dogs, but I guarantee you I gave that dog more attention than he would have ever had with Frank.

I want some of this over and under action....

WnUWgkHh.jpg

You can't get rid of a bird dog regardless of what up and comer you have.

Lots of birds have been killed on the 3rd, 4th and 5th shots. In my opinion there are lots of over/under guys that thumb their nose at anyone using "lesser" guns. Kind of like fly fishing guys who feel superior and thumb their noses at bait fishers.

My gun of choice is a Remington 870 and a like fishing with worms! To each his own though as long as it's legal.

Dan near as good as a Model 12. I use a Model 1200 for partridge. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you get a dog it is for life. That's the rule.

When you get a dog it is for life. That's the rule.

Well I very thankful my mentor didn’t give a sh_t about your rule.

For the group who advocate doubles, do you think you lose more birds with them when compared to autos or pumps? Most often when a bird is hit but not killed there shot in the tail feathers/ass and they are still quite alive. Often roosters who are not killed run like hell and can be lost. I've also seen birds take significant hits, lock wings and glide a long ways. Again, making recovery difficult. The one thing I like about the autoloader is the extra capacity to make certain I kill and retrieve the bird I shot. Shot Birds are no different than shot deer, they are going to die so I make every effort to kill them quickly.

giving a dog to a kid who can't afford one is one thing. Throwing out your old dog because you have a better one is completely different. And in my opinion wrong.

Makes no difference to me either way. Maybe I'm the odd ball and everyone else kicks their old dogs to the curb when the new pup us brought home. It will never happen here though. My old dogs sleep next to the couch when they are too old to chase roosters and grouse.

giving a dog to a kid who can't afford one is one thing. Throwing out your old dog because you have a better one is completely different. And in my opinion wrong.

Makes no difference to me either way. Maybe I'm the odd ball and everyone else kicks their old dogs to the curb when the new pup us brought home. It will never happen here though. My old dogs sleep next to the couch when they are too old to chase roosters and grouse.

I don’t normally get cranked with regard to anyone on the net. But, you should consider giving it a rest. You certainly do appear to be an oddball strongly advocating a position and applying it to someone you don’t know a damn thing about. First, you did assume that I was going to throw a dog to the corner and that assumption was wrong. I have owned and been around more bird dogs than you have probably ever seen in person over the course or your lifetime. If I get rid of one of my bird dogs, and with regard to every pup I have ever placed, you can bet your ass and the horse you rode in on that he would only go to someone I know and someone I would probably take hunting.

So if you are going to be passively aggressive and assert your arbitrary rules with regard to someone you don’t know, go some other place and do it.

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics.........even if you win you’re still retarded.

I have a 20 gauge beretta auto loader that I love. Quite similar to the montefeltro. 5lbs even. Short, light, easy to crawl through thick cover with. Gorgeous burled walnut stock. I hope a grandkid will use it well someday, it’s a hell of a gun.

For the group who advocate doubles, do you think you lose more birds with them when compared to autos or pumps? Most often when a bird is hit but not killed there shot in the tail feathers/ass and they are still quite alive. Often roosters who are not killed run like hell and can be lost. I've also seen birds take significant hits, lock wings and glide a long ways. Again, making recovery difficult. The one thing I like about the autoloader is the extra capacity to make certain I kill and retrieve the bird I shot. Shot Birds are no different than shot deer, they are going to die so I make every effort to kill them quickly.
I think I get more birds in the bag because I am more careful. It doesnt matter how many rounds in your gun. Buddy runs a 5 shot extension snow goose hunting. He still has hit birds fly off cause his gun is empty, and many of those cripples come in the last few rounds in the gun cause he figures if you got em smoke em.

I hunt forest birds with an O/U. Never used one for pheasant or dove. I have a semi-auto that I like for such hunts. I grew up hunting everything from doves to deer with a Remington 1100, and that's what I typically use still. I also have a short 870 20ga that I like for squirrel hunting.

I don't think I have lost any birds because of my O/U. I've never had more than two shots at a woodcock or grouse.

I have dove hunted with a pump, semi, O/U, and SxS. The pump is the slowest to a second shot by far but I may well shoot it better than the rest since it’s the gun I learned to shoot on. I can get a 3rd off almost as fast with a double gun as I can the pump.

I don’t know that I’ve lost any more without a 3rd than I have without a 4th. I rarely have an opportunity to clean up a feathered bird on the wing and usually have ample chance to reload on the way to the bird- this is more an issue with ducks than anything.

If anything, a 2 shooter may save me from taking ill-advised butt shots on fleeing ducks.

Edit: And for the record, I have not killed more pheasants than anyone one this board.

Last edited:
I hunt forest birds with an O/U. Never used one for pheasant or dove. I have a semi-auto that I like for such hunts. I grew up hunting everything from doves to deer with a Remington 1100, and that's what I typically use still. I also have a short 870 20ga that I like for squirrel hunting.

I don't think I have lost any birds because of my O/U. I've never had more than two shots at a woodcock or grouse.
I grew up with a 1100 also, typical hand me down 30" full choke duck gun. I still have it although it never leaves my safe anymore as I went to a 1187 and now a Bennelli.

I shoot a 1187 special fields 20 for grouse, it a nice light gun.

Grouse and woodcock are knocked down pretty easily compared to pheasants. My 20 does a nice job on grouse.

I have dove hunted with a pump, semi, O/U, and SxS. The pump is the slowest to a second shot by far but I may well shoot it better than the rest since it’s the gun I learned to shoot on. I can get a 3rd off almost as fast with a double gun as I can the pump.

I don’t know that I’ve lost any more without a 3rd than I have without a 4th. I rarely have an opportunity to clean up a feathered bird on the wing and usually have ample chance to reload on the way to the bird- this is more an issue with ducks than anything.

If anything, a 2 shooter may save me from taking ill-advised butt shots on fleeing ducks.

Edit: And for the record, I have not killed more pheasants than anyone one this board.

I don't know where your located but if you get the chance to go to the Dakotas and hunt pheasants do it. It's great fun.

My comments are meant to help guys make the right decision if they travel to a destination and hunt pheasants. Pheasant habitat can be anything from Autumn Olive thickets, cattails, marsh fragmites, corn, sorghum or just grass. Often opportunities are not in the wide open, flat country where you get a perfect 20 yard flush. When you take that trip bring a backup gun and I recommend a autoloader, it may pay off.

Semi autos fail PERIOD. They jam, they don't load the next shell etc. Often? not mine but it does still happen. O/U has never failed except for defective ammo.

Duck hunt with a semi auto Berretta Extrema. Shoot clays with this Browning XT...

1550151921798.png