All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

More of a REALLY post.

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I like upland bird hunting - a lot! Until recently my most shocking reality was coming to the grips with the fact that I am still thinking of getting rid of my best bird dog to make way for an up and coming pup. Well move aside with that. My nephew has been on me to order a Beretta over and under. I have never shot one, but a friend of mine sent two over the other day - a 28 gauge and a 20 gauge. I am a Benelli Montefeltro simi-automatic guy when it comes to upland hunting. Light weight and functional.

Why on earth would anyone hunt upland birds with an over and under. Holy cow they weigh a ton!!!! But, then again you are carrying two barrels ha ha. If you use one, let me know why I must be missing something. I might as well get a Drilling’s to have a third barrel for coyotes lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I shoot an O/U at upland. Franchi Instinct 12 ga. Looking to match it with a 20 ga. I like how they swing and I like the Nostalgia.

I'm with you. OLD technology verse new in my eyes. Same reason I carry a light striker fire semi auto pistol vs a revolver for personal defense :emoji_wink:
Its a traditionalist thing with upland. An O/U really are functional. I mean any more than 2 shots at a dove or pheasant is wishful thinking in my limited experience

I shoot an O/U at upland. Franchi Instinct 12 ga. Looking to match it with a 20 ga. I like how they swing and I like the Nostalgia.

I will go for the “nostalgia”. And, I will probably buy an over and under to just have one. However, to avoid having my great, great grandson say “this was Grandad’s shotgun that he hunted grouse, pheasants and quail with isn’t it great”, I am going to add a paragraph to my Last Will and Testament today. It will read as follows:

My Berretta 686 Silver Pigeon is hereby bequeathed to my loving daughter. To the extent it remains in the family and is passed on to her heirs and theirs, I want my Great, Great Grandson to know something. You Great, Great Grandfather was not dumb as dog sh__. Not once did he ever carry that heavy ass shotgun through the fields. He had bid running shorthairs and one needed to be in shape to hunt with him and ready to shoot a lot of birds. His theory was the more ground you cover from daylight to dark the more likely you at to find birds, and an over an under shotgun was not the lightest and most functional shotgun of his day.

Hate autocorrect ... Your Great, ..... big running shorthairs.

My O/U weighs just over 6 lbs. A standard Montefeltro weighs 6.8. If I went to a SL I would be even lighter.

My O/U weighs just over 6 lbs. A standard Montefeltro weighs 6.8. If I went to a SL I would be even lighter.

What O and U do you shoot? A 20 gauge Montefeltro weighs 5.6 pounds if you don’t have the new featherlight which is 5.3 pounds. IMG_5314.JPG

A Beretta 686 is over 7 1/4 pounds depending on where you look at the specs.

And, these two Ruger Red labels that my friend let me try are between 7 pounds and 7 pounds 14 ounces (I weighed them just out of curiosity)

I see the Benelli over and under in a 12 gauge is 6.5 pounds, but it just does not have the look in my opinion and I am a big Benelli fan but for the “Benelli click” ha ha that you learn about when you first get one!!! But, after you know to make darn sure that shell is jammed in the receiver you are fine.

Franchi Instinct SL 20 ga has a catalog weight of 5.4 lbs. My 12 gauge L has a catalog weight of 6.4 lbs never actually weighed them.

I carry that O/U all over creation.

You just can’t beat the balance and reliability of an over/under.
As mentioned as well, they do fill that nostalgia box as well. Kind of like using a traditional bow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like my O/U for the versatility and light weight. I like having two chokes, and often two different loads. And I can carry it all day without a problem.

I'm with you WTNUT. I'm a Benelli man, although I don't have the pretty ones. Old as dirt SBE, M2, and Vinci.

I guess that’s why they make so many different guns. We all like what we like. I love my O/Us. I don’t upland hunt much anymore but I’ve got an old Ruger Red Label 12 gauge with 26 inch barrels that just seems to point itself. I’ve also got a CZ Redhead 20 gauge that I really like. Then of course there’s the O/U 10 gauge that just sits in the safe these days. It’s kind of like shooting a 4 x 4 post and has more felt recoil than my 458 Win mag..

I have a CZ Woodcock Deluxe. It’s not a lightweight gun but it looks good and swings nice. I like being able to have 2 choke tubes but the 2 rounds before reloading can have a negative effect on my number of birds in the bag.

For those of you with the over and unders what length barrel do you prefer

Nostalgia for me it is!
d4b1af396da1b02bb2186456e710b5ea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Either a 26 or 28 for me. The overall length is shorter because there’s no need for an action. To me that’s why it feels like it points faster. I have no way to quantify that. It’s just how it feels to me but it adds to my confidence when I shoot.

O/U Franchi Veloce 20 ga with 26" barrel. Don't see much need for a long barrel for upland bird hunting, quick swings in the middle of things. If you gonna go shoot pheasants in the Dakotas maybe could long barrel cause you are going to have a lot of full choke anyway. But for that hunting would go semi auto and 3 shots anyway....cause might be duck hunting too.

A buddy has a Ruger Red Label for his trap shooting. That thing swings and points nice but man it's heavy

Buddy posted an awesome pic on facebook with his SxS and first gambels quail today.

I shoot a Beretta 686 Onyx 20 ga. I’ve also got a Benelli Córdoba and M90 in 20 ga. Shouldering and swinging the 686 for me is so much smoother than any of my auto loaders. I am a much better better shot with the O/U.