Mn gun opener

Was there a MDHA statement in that video? i skipped some portions but caught most of it and didn't see one.
Yeah, they were referenced in the first few minutes

The wolves are moving to new areas as deer numbers decrease.

I feel so bad for yall who have to deal with the political nature of wolf management. Is there any organic groundswell around taking matters into your own hands and reducing wolves quietly in the name of preserve of what we love?

I feel so bad for yall who have to deal with the political nature of wolf management. Is there any organic groundswell around taking matters into your own hands and reducing wolves quietly in the name of preserve of what we love?
What happens in the woods, stays in the woods. SSS

Yeah, until you realize they were collared. Friend of a friend found out the hard way in northern MN.
How far down a hole or in a lake do they transmit I wonder

Quite a few wolves do get shot illegally but it doesn't seem to move the needle a ton. 142 were killed in MN by fed trappers for depredation in 2022. Studies in AK suggest you'd need to kill something like over 40% of the wolves annually to meaningfully decrease the numbers otherwise they just have bigger litters and more pups survive. There were bounties on them in MN almost up until they were federally listed yet somehow a regulated hunting season would put them in peril. It's such nonsense.

The wolf issues make my blood boil but I do think there is more to it than just wolves causing the issues. They are a part of the landscape and will always be now so if we don't have good wintering habitat and severe winters, the deer numbers are going to hurt. BUT, if there were 30% less wolves on the landscape every spring due to fall/winter harvest, a lot more fawns would make it and there would still be a sustainable healthy wolf population.

Also black bear get their fair share of fawns. Don't know the numbers of black bear currently but the bear sightings have been on the rise for a few years already.

Quite a few wolves do get shot illegally but it doesn't seem to move the needle a ton. 142 were killed in MN by fed trappers for depredation in 2022. Studies in AK suggest you'd need to kill something like over 40% of the wolves annually to meaningfully decrease the numbers otherwise they just have bigger litters and more pups survive.

My understanding of wolf hunting was not that it reduces the population but that it tends to keep them out of certain areas. If wolves are relentlessly persecuted in certain areas then they are more likely to leave that area and take up residence elsewhere.

My understanding of wolf hunting was not that it reduces the population but that it tends to keep them out of certain areas. If wolves are relentlessly persecuted in certain areas then they are more likely to leave that area and take up residence elsewhere.
I'm sure there's an element of that. It does seem like some deer stay near roads/development up in wolf country as wolves don't want to be around human disturbance. The story linked earlier in this thread where the 8 were trapped on one acre and assumed to be there because of lack of food (deer) away from development is a good illustration of how that works until they are hungry.

He buried it with the collar on?
Something about the collar stops transmitting when the wolf's (multiple) stop moving and they see the last known location.

I'm sure there's an element of that. It does seem like some deer stay near roads/development up in wolf country as wolves don't want to be around human disturbance. The story linked earlier in this thread where the 8 were trapped on one acre and assumed to be there because of lack of food (deer) away from development is a good illustration of how that works until they are hungry.

I'm guessing they would not have stayed there if they were being shot at.

Something about the collar stops transmitting when the wolf's (multiple) stop moving and they see the last known location.

Interesting. Would be good to find out exactly how those radio collars work.