Lets see your meat poles

I'd be very careful with a sharp knife and having one of my legs on each side of the trailer. One slip and you might not need the wench, I mean winch any more. :D

LOL. We put the deer legs on either side of the trailer Art! This method is really easy on my back. Much faster and cleaner too. Gravity is your friend. ;)

LOL. We put the deer legs on either side of the trailer Art! This method is really easy on my back. Much faster and cleaner too. Gravity is your friend. ;)
Sorry, I easily get confused...

Art, those old pictures of your family are great. Reminds me of when I use to hunt out of a tent up by Marcel. Back when your photos were taken when was rifle opener? Temps look allot colder than Foggy's pictures.

Art, those old pictures of your family are great. Reminds me of when I use to hunt out of a tent up by Marcel. Back when your photos were taken when was rifle opener? Temps look allot colder than Foggy's pictures.
I think it was later than our present season. The pictures are fifty years old-right about the end of WWII.

When I was young, my Dad told me the state moved the deer season earlier, as the women wanted the men home for Thanksgiving and not in the woods. All of the seasons I have participated in have had the zone 1 rifle season close the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving was for sharing with family and telling deer stories, until the women got mad at us! We would back off on the stories and then quickly forget as their was little else to talk about. Nope, not a football family. I still just don't care much about football or any sports other than a few minutes of hockey.

Exception was a late season during a drought year-season was closed due to fire danger until snowfall.

I hunted by Marcel from 1980-1990. Have some great memories of the guys and area. We hunted an old railroad grade that was quite an adventure to get down. We never lost anybody but close a couple times. We use to put straw down and the tents on top of that. No cots in those days and I can remember opening the tent and stepping into the snowbank. Seemed like we use to have allot more snow back then. Lots of fire and fire water to keep warm in those days.

80's did seem like we had a lot more snow to me too. I always attributed it to my being a kid and everything seemed worse because of scale and lack of perspective at that age.

Halloween blizzard '91, I was 16. That was a whopper! But it still seems like we had better snow storms then too.

Repost of a meat pole from exactly 70 years ago. My Dad's biggest buck of the lifetime was the 6 pointer. 225 pounds.
My uncle had the other big buck and I think it was 198 pounds. He matched that weight one other time in his lifetime. so the stories go...

Great old picture. Those guys didn't need a cornholer or roll out food plot to get the job done.

I hunted by Marcel from 1980-1990. Have some great memories of the guys and area. We hunted an old railroad grade that was quite an adventure to get down. We never lost anybody but close a couple times. We use to put straw down and the tents on top of that. No cots in those days and I can remember opening the tent and stepping into the snowbank. Seemed like we use to have allot more snow back then. Lots of fire and fire water to keep warm in those days.
I bowhunted just north of that area in the late 80's. I even spent a few days up there with a rifle.
Grouse hunted up there this year and saw 1 deer in our old hunting area.

I was at the golf course here in Mora yesterday when a guy started talking about being from the bowstring area north of Deer River MN. That is right by Marcell. We got to talking about hunting back in the 60'and 70's. All the snow we had to deal with, piss poor logging roads for access, Not many deer, that type of stuff. Then we started talking about Hayslip's corner bar, The Cannibal Junction Bar, the Snow Shoe Inn. Man were them the good old days!:D

I was at the golf course here in Mora yesterday when a guy started talking about being from the bowstring area north of Deer River MN. That is right by Marcell. We got to talking about hunting back in the 60'and 70's. All the snow we had to deal with, piss poor logging roads for access, Not many deer, that type of stuff. Then we started talking about Hayslip's corner bar, The Cannibal Junction Bar, the Snow Shoe Inn. Man were them the good old days!:D
Yep I have fished Bowstring but that lake can get very ruff in the wind. I like lake Jesse just north of their better. Unfortunately I don’t get up that way much anymore as that old group went and got married, had kids and the whole thing changed. Life was pretty simple back then when all you needed was a good buddy, a truck and a little bit of gear. I guess that’s progress but man it was fun while it lasted.

I do have to admit I really enjoyed hunting the big woods. More often than not we saw few people and the boundaries were areas where another group was hunting but no property lines. Most often it took 3 years to get a doe permit and considering the conditions it made sense.

Considering the growth in wolves in that area it’s hard to believe there is much of a deer population left.

Was just looking at the web and saw this pic at Knutsons in Michigan. Anyone know about this buck contest?
View attachment 6477

This is on Michigan out of doors every year (local tv show), no where near around where I live but it looks like a pretty good time.

Yep I have fished Bowstring but that lake can get very ruff in the wind. I like lake Jesse just north of their better. Unfortunately I don’t get up that way much anymore as that old group went and got married, had kids and the whole thing changed. Life was pretty simple back then when all you needed was a good buddy, a truck and a little bit of gear. I guess that’s progress but man it was fun while it lasted.

I do have to admit I really enjoyed hunting the big woods. More often than not we saw few people and the boundaries were areas where another group was hunting but no property lines. Most often it took 3 years to get a doe permit and considering the conditions it made sense.

Considering the growth in wolves in that area it’s hard to believe there is much of a deer population left.
I enjoyed the big woods hunts also. I had an old buddy up there that was just about like my Dad to me. I had lost my Dad a few years before I met him. Great memories. I hunted the Wirt area to the north. Also had a spear house on Jesse at one time.

20140918_230531.jpg
Got a electric winch years ago, mounted above the rafters in the garage gives alot of working room, & easy height adjustment

I enjoyed the big woods hunts also. I had an old buddy up there that was just about like my Dad to me. I had lost my Dad a few years before I met him. Great memories. I hunted the Wirt area to the north. Also had a spear house on Jesse at one time.
Art, thats a great area and I would love to go back and rifle hunt that area.

Art, thats a great area and I would love to go back and rifle hunt that area.
It's zone 1 and a rifle tag could be used during the last weekend, after zone 2 is closed. It tends to b e pretty quiet on days other than the weekends.

Old power pole, homemade "jib crane", $20 winch, floodlights on top. Worst part was digging the hole...

0c45527285b37b55bb35578b994d8a70.jpg

871600187dfc6398eee7d3af0e1e9852.jpg

fc82c83df57ba02901c7b869ad6c74c1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

21a3fb3503d6731a9cd02d42ab2a02d3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I put an oak 4"x6" 6' long across floor joists in the attic above garage with an old barn pulley mounted to it below ceiling, I just back up the truck under it pull the deer up and tie it off to a big boat cleat lagged into garage wall.

That way I can turn this;

A6f0UIb.jpg

Into this;

5n1VBph.jpg

Last edited:
My meat pole is outside about 25 yards from the mobile home on my land. It has a boat winch for hoisting the deer and rollers on the top end. Treated lumber was used for it. It is a simple inverted "U" with braces on the uprights. It is wide enough so that I can back in the Suburban with the deer carrier on it with space to spare on each side. There is a small work table off to one side. Deer can hang overnight if necessary. Naturally, I have high intensity LED spot lights as most work seems to be done after dark. I have a frost free water hydrant near by with a hose that stretches to the meat pole. I believe in rinsing out the cavities of all deer as soon as the guts have been removed. Gravity works to take the guts into waiting 55 gallon drums cut in half. They are transported to a pre dug hole and dumped. I have cleaned 148 deer on it over the 24 years it has been in operation.