Lets see your meat poles

B

BJE80

Lets see your meat poles. No matter how simple or fancy.

I am thinking about getting crafty and adding a boat winch and pulley to my meat pole. Might be something I do here coming up.

Current state of our cabin' meatpole.

IMG_0105_zpsfihmndrh.jpg

IMG_5777_zpsuaowz5tj.jpg

IMG_4849_zps0x3ips4g.jpg

Normally I would unzip a thread like this, whip out my innuendo, and pound it ecstatically and repeatedly. But this is just too easy, I think I'm just going to let it go. Carry on with your meat pole thread.

Giggity.

Havent had a need for one for years......
If we get a deer, the rafters in the garage work good with a rope thrown over it.

I miss that experience. Once I figured out the easy way to skin a deer, few deer were shot. I'd tie the deer up in the air and then tie a rope onto the hide and pull it off with a 4 wheeler or truck. Quick and easy, and lots less hair on the carcass when done.

We still need to build one, we have a couple old loafing sheds by the barn where we could use the rafters to hang deer if we felt like it. Need to convert the old milk house to a butchering room, then we'll be set. Currently we use the skid steer loader bucket to hang deer. Also makes the hides easy to peel off by hooking up one end to the hitch on the pickup and just back up with the skidsteer as someone trims as necessary.

This thread looks so wrong when you scroll thru the "general section"!!!!

I hang my deer on a scale, gambrel and pulley system in my garage, but it's just to dress them out. We bring the deer up to the house so I can get a live weight of each deer harvested and have better "working conditions" for dressing than out in the woods. We drag the deer to the edge of the field (I don't have much cover) and then put the deer in the FEL of the tractor and head to the house. We drop everything into a large galvanized tub and then dispose of it later. The deer then goes to the processor. I don't do enough of them in a year to skin and butcher them myself.

At some point I want to experience the whole "deer camp" thing, but it just happened yet.

I just use a gambrel hanging from the garage rafter. Property doesn't support enough to justify a pole, but I'm working to improve that.

Lets see your meat poles. No matter how simple or fancy.

I am thinking about getting crafty and adding a boat winch and pulley to my meat pole. Might be something I do here coming up.

Current state of our cabin' meatpole.

This is getting a little personal don'tcha think? :D

We still have to build one up at the new cabin. For years it hasn't been an issue as we didn't stay up there, or shoot a deer in past 4 years lol. Come to think of it, maybe that's why we haven't shot one?

vermin being the prying eyes of ill intentioned neighbors and passers-by?

My camp is back off the roads. My biggest concern would be coyotes.

I have some concerns about coyotes too.....due to the location of my hanging tree. We usually tie some kind of clothing on one of the deer's hind legs to give some human scent on the deer ( I have some extra clothing in my shed). Also, keep the deer at a high height. Have not had a problem this way. (old guide trick from Idaho ;) )

I made mine 10' high and in close proximity to the cabin for that reason. I get those deer good and high and have not had a problem yet.

When i hunt out of my buddy's camp we use a rafter in the barn with a pulley on it. we have to keep deer in the barn because of bears.

When i hunt out of my buddy's camp we use a rafter in the barn with a pulley on it. we have to keep deer in the barn because of bears.

The bears are still running around during gun season?

I bowhunt more than i gun hunt....consequently i kill more deer during archery season than gun season. our early archery season runs from around October 1st to November 15th each year so the bears are in full effect trying to get fat for hibernation. Our Archery bear season starts right after our early deer archery season ends (so most years around October 16th) and runs for 5 days, then our statewide bear firearms season starts right after the bear archery season ends, basically the saturday before thanksgiving and runs until the day before thanksgiving. In my WMU we have a high bear population so during the first 6 days of our firearms deer season you can still take a bear. our firearms deer season starts the Monday after thanksgiving and runs for 12 days (no sundays). So most years you can still bear hunt into the first week of December. But its not uncommon for us to see bears still wandering around into the beginning of January depending on the weather....and if there is food around....ie people illegally feeding them.

There are a lot of bears in the area where my buddy's camp is located, and last year we got trail cam pics of a young boar up to January 20th. there are other camps and one full time resident on that road...i think they may have been dumping piles of corn out because it was very cold and snowy.

so the short answer is yes we still have bears running around during our gun season for deer...lol

wow.

Just a heads up for you guys that have meat poles outside and made of wood. 2 years ago I hung a deer 12 foot high but close to the upright pole. I came out in morning to go hunting and found bobcat tracks in fresh snow going toward meat pole. The bobcat had chewed the hind quarters on my deer and had claw marks on another deer in middle of pole. We figured that if I would of had my deer more in middle the bobcat may have only clawed my deer instead of hanging on pole and eating.