Lets see your meat poles

I would agree. My land is in a big block of woods that is about 1.5 miles wide x 1.0 miles long. Then Ag surrounds that. But that AG is mostly hay fields with a little corn.

Last year I shot this buck. He weighed 153 lbs dressed. But I figure he was still a 2.5 YO. Pretty good body but the rack would not cut it in AG land for a 2.5 YO.

IMG_5543_zpshukmwrpw.jpg

IMG_5549_zpsfm96jpbw.jpg

IMG_5569_zpsysqpl2cn.jpg

Nice buck!! He'd be a shooter on my land as well.
Nice buck. That buck looks a lot like the 2.5 year olds we see in Rusk County WI (not that we actually lay eyes on them too often). They usually have a nice body size, but the antler size is smaller than bucks with the same age from ag areas.

Deer of similar age - one with premium nutrition, the other with browse and little to no ag. We see it here too. The deer from big woods have to eek out a living on what they can paw, scratch, and browse off the land. Ag land deer are surrounded by super-food buffet.

2 years ago my one son shot a mammoth - bodied buck that went about 120 to 125 score. Shot in remote mountain area ..... and it became a shoulder-mount just because of WHERE it was shot. Trophy rack for a non-ag area.

Real nice deer in the pix guys !!!

Deer of similar age - one with premium nutrition, the other with browse and little to no ag. We see it here too. The deer from big woods have to eek out a living on what they can paw, scratch, and browse off the land. Ag land deer are surrounded by super-food buffet.

2 years ago my one son shot a mammoth - bodied buck that went about 120 to 125 score. Shot in remote mountain area ..... and it became a shoulder-mount just because of WHERE it was shot. Trophy rack for a non-ag area.

Real nice deer in the pix guys !!!
This is exactly what my dad did with the 8pt he shot in Juneau Co many years back. The buck field dressed at 212lbs, won the heaviest deer pool at the local gas stop(Germantown Store for the guys in the area), which was a big deal back in those days. Never had it officially scored, a couple of unofficial scores put it somewhere between 133" and 136". He said he was getting it mounted because it was probably the biggest deer he could even hope to shoot from that area, and he was right. To this day he has only had the opportunity to see one buck larger than the one he has mounted while hunting and that deer presented no shot. The other reason he got the mount done was that this deer had an almost perfect 8pt rack, less than an inch and a half of deductions total. In ag country that deer would likely have easily scored in the 150-160" range.

Repost of a meat pole from exactly 70 years ago. My Dad's biggest buck of the lifetime was the 6 pointer. 225 pounds.
My uncle had the other big buck and I think it was 198 pounds. He matched that weight one other time in his lifetime. so the stories go...

IMG_9086.JPG

The days before Gore-Tex and high-tec insulation. WOOL was the go - to for cold weather hunting. Great pix Bur !!

That pic says so much Art and a true piece of history. I've stated it before and I think it merits repeating....those deer are cool but those tough SOB's in that picture were the men who built this country which makes the photo super special, IMO.
You mentioned the men that built this country...
I will ramble on for a bit. That old truck has the name Pogue on it. My Dad and uncle were farming and things were slow in the winter, so they decided to cut some white pine off of the land they owned for a few extra bucks. They cut the trees, hired Pogue to haul the trees to Pogue's sawmill, and then my Dad and uncle sold the lumber after Pogue sawed it up.. When they were all done, they still owed Pogue money and had to work for him to pay it off.

They shot these deer near Pogue's mill and probably borrowed his truck to haul them home.

Just ran into this pic......and thought it should be posted. Takes a good pole to hang these. poachedwhitetails1.jpg

Awesome pics guys! I really like the old pics, but all of this stuff is cool.
I almost don't hang deer anymore. I can gut one and fillet the meat (from the tailgate of my truck), and have it in the fridge or freezer pretty quickly. Where I live they either freeze solid over night, or get too warm to hang.

Was just looking at the web and saw this pic at Knutsons in Michigan. Anyone know about this buck contest?
knutsons.jpg

Looks like the Amish's barn not far from me. A few years ago he got caught with 27 hanging. And all he got a slap on the wrist. Talk about being pi$$ed off.

24d257f48d7a5fbaddef686e0e93d1b6.jpg

This is how we gut our deer these days. Then we haul the inards to a dump site and rinse the trailer with water. The trailer "body" has a dumping bed which makes loading easy and dumping the guts and a wash out very simple. Plastic tub cleans nicely with a gallon of water and an old broom. Much easier and cleaner way to gut a deer......and does not contanimate the stand site.

We weigh the deer before we gut 'em. We have some bright lights to do the job at night too. Note the LED lights high on the back of the UTV also. Super bright. Also some hand-held LED lights.

The pole is high enough to allow loading the deer onto a pickup or trailer via the hand winch mounted on a pole. Adjustable height is nice for gutting at just the right position. Clean method....IMO. When doing this alone.....we usually put one hind leg on either side of the trailer "tub"......which works really slick with the winch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
7566f887f7a22c1e6436d052d26420bd.jpg

One more in the dark. With the scale we can compare live weights for our camp contest. We had three bucks last year within 5 lbs of one-another.

Last edited:
Nice use of the cart to haul the guts Foggy.

Nice use of the cart to haul the guts Foggy.

Those little trailers are made by Polar. Really makes deer recovery quick and easy. The trailer tongue allows tilting and pivoting to the side too. I think I paid $300 for the trailer and it gets lots of use for projects as well. In fact, I own two of them. One at my home and one at the deer property. The poly tub is about indestructible.
d6272040656361967f8cea250c8b8f3f.jpg

What did that deer weigh, foggy?

24d257f48d7a5fbaddef686e0e93d1b6.jpg

When doing this alone.....we usually put one hind leg on either side of the trailer "tub"......which works really slick with the winch.

I'd be very careful with a sharp knife and having one of my legs on each side of the trailer. One slip and you might not need the wench, I mean winch any more. :D