Lets see your meat poles

Just a heads up for you guys that have meat poles outside and made of wood. 2 years ago I hung a deer 12 foot high but close to the upright pole. I came out in morning to go hunting and found bobcat tracks in fresh snow going toward meat pole. The bobcat had chewed the hind quarters on my deer and had claw marks on another deer in middle of pole. We figured that if I would of had my deer more in middle the bobcat may have only clawed my deer instead of hanging on pole and eating.

Crazy hey. So far I've never seen tracks for anything. The only thing is my wife tried bird feeders from the meat pole in the center and those end up getting taken down. I assume by a bear but he must of been crafty.

I showed my wife this thread - "she just looked at me and said, "you better not be posting pictures!":eek:

I told her the guy who started it said he was looking into adding a boat winch to his. I told her I was in favor of a winch as well, boat or other fetish was just fine with me! She was NOT amused!

I miss that experience. Once I figured out the easy way to skin a deer, few deer were shot. I'd tie the deer up in the air and then tie a rope onto the hide and pull it off with a 4 wheeler or truck. Quick and easy, and lots less hair on the carcass when done.

I would recommend going back to shooting them before tieing them up in the air. More humane also when you skin them if you shoot them first.

:D

LOL!!! The bellaring was horrendous!

LOL!!! The bellaring was horrendous![/QUOTE

Just joking around. No hard feelings intended, but I could not resist.

"you better not be posting pictures!":eek: It wouldn't matter as You can only enlarge a pic to 300mb anyway.:) I hear some blue rocket fuel is easier than a boat winch. I went to the dr. this week for an annual and he was going to burn a skin tag off my groin, I yelled stop! That's my unit!
I had a few skin tags removed a week ago or so and the Dr asked if we needed to look at any below the belt - I told her she better not. She may mistake the boys as skin tags and snip them off! I told her I was rather partial to them and though they didn't get much use anymore they still hang in there just in case. The Dr. and my wife where not amused that day either - I was the only one laughing - it was a tough crowd!

Lets see your meat poles. No matter how simple or fancy.

Did anyone else assume the second part was going to be 'no matter how big or small'? Perhaps I'm warped beyond repair...

I haven't shot a deer in about six years. What are these meat poles for?

If you'd have stuck out the QDMA thing over there you'd probably have shot 1 by now....

If you'd have stuck out the QDMA thing over there you'd probably have shot 1 by now....
o_O :confused: Sarcasm, I assume?

o_O :confused: Sarcasm, I assume?

We have a winner! :)
carlton-dance-gif.gif

We have a winner! :)
Well with no smiley of any kind in the first post and given the recent events on the site, I was just making sure. Where is the "sigh of relief" smiley?;):D

Well with no smiley of any kind in the first post and given the recent events on the site, I was just making sure. Where is the "sigh of relief" smiley?;):D

Pause for effect, lol. :)

Hard to tell but my meat pole in Dakota county is a big oak branch. In kansas it is a big walnut branch.

image.jpg

I like everything about your pic in post # 40, NH. I can almost smell the air !!:)

A couple years ago I quartered out a doe on our outdoor meat pole during the wisconsin rifle season. I finished at 10 PM and left the bones on the ground. By 5 am they were gone. A bear had spent considerable time 20 yards from where we were sleeping. I frequently see bear tracks in the snow through muzzleloader season. Every predator comes alive during rifle season for the free meals. Then it's off to hibernation.

584A4C0A-D779-4BE1-8881-CD2C28DC631E-550-0000007D544E1E0B_zps8a7459d4.jpg

An old basswood tree with a cedar pole.

Do any of you midwesterners have a comment on the appearance of this buck versus what we see in ag country?

Beautiful mature deer for sure. If I had one thing that stands out to me, that buck is very similar to the mature deer(few and far between) we see and shoot in the woods and swamps of the Central Forest Zone counties in WI where we have little to no ag. Very large body size with just an average 8pt rack compared to the ones I see from true farm country. Relatively short tine length and mass compared to farmland bucks of the same age and body size.

Same deal on that deer, very much like the mature bucks in our area(the few that make it to that age). The majority will have comparatively massive looking bodies and the antlers of a 2.5 yo farm country buck.

I hunt an ag area and a mostly wooded area and notice the same things as you.

Woods deer are about 1 year behind on antler growth. The woods deer often tend to be butter balls with more internal fat unless rutted out.

Too me that buck looked like he had a very short body length. Maybe it is the angle of the camera shot, maybe it is because he is so stocky in relation to build.

Or maybe a shorter growing season, slower start in the spring with no ag, leads to a smaller body frame?