All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much time do you spend at the farm?

WTNUT

5 year old buck +
I know not enough. This is really geared toward those of us who live away form our farms, cabins, lake homes, whatever you call it. I am only about an hour and 20 minutes away. I am there at least once a week during off season. Sometimes only for half a day, a night and the next day. During hunting season I am there 3-4 days a week. In January and February I may only be there twice a month. BUT, I ALWAYS SEEM TO BE RUSHING. I really can't slow down and enjoy it for some reason. I spent a full week there earlier this year for the first time in 15 years and I still felt like I was rushing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am lucky, I get to spend every day on the place. I walk my two dogs on my cut trails almost every day.

I know not enough. This is really geared toward those of us who live away form our farms, cabins, lake homes, whatever you call it. I am only about an hour and 20 minutes away. I am there at least once a week during off season. Sometimes only for half a day, a night and the next day. During hunting season I am there 3-4 days a week. In January and February I may only be there twice a month. BUT, I ALWAYS SEEM TO BE RUSHING. I really can't slow down and enjoy it for some reason. I spent a full week there earlier this year for the first time in 15 years and I still felt like I was rushing!

You sound like me. I am almost 6 hours away. When I get there it's a marathon session till I have to leave. Still, no place I'd rather be. I get there every 4-6 weeks.

Agreed, I'm blessed to live on my place. Between work, family obligations, and attempting to have a social life, I still feel like I'm days behind most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My land is a little over 3 hours from home when traveling off hours. With traffic and a gas stop it usually takes us around 4. We (wife and kids) try to get up there for at least one or two weekends a month year round.

browndog and others that live on their land, I'm jealous

I win :D

I try to spend at least a week a month. Doesn't always happen. Sometimes late winter after the season and mid summer I let the Alarm system, video monitoring and the mice keep track of things. My hot times to be there are spring and again in the fall. Last year I was there on and off through the season except the hot time. I spent the entire pre, rut and post rut on ship.

It's just a short ride :). You may have missed this post. http://habitat-talk.com/index.php?threads/on-the-way-home.5434/

Last year my brother who always goes with me and helps couldn't make it. I put in 1/2 the normal plots. Mowed the clover and maintained things at 1/2 the usual rate. Had no real regular good bucks on camera. Predicted the worste season in years.

We cleaned house. This year I intentionally did 1/2 the pushing and grinding. Time will tell if that is a good thing. But I can tell you I'm not nearly as stressed as I was in past years.

I hear you! I live on my property and what I lease i drive the four wheeler too. We spend almost one day week running cams mowing food plots,trails and cutting tree that blow over all the time. Seem to never end but I wouldn't have it any other way. My wife says beef is cheaper but I love high speed beef. Standing out there cutting up woods mowing trails sweating to death getting eaten alive by bugs and I stop and look around and thanks god I'm so lucky!

I'm about an hour and 20 minutes from our farm as well. When I was working full time, I would head down Friday afternoon and return Saturday evening. I really had to bust my butt and untimely weather could really throw a monkey wrench into my plans. I would work 12+ hour days will almost no break. It began to lose the fun aspect.

For the last 2 years, I've been working 1 day a week. At first I was spending a lot of time at the farm. I quickly found that as I'm getting older, my body can't take advantage of long periods working at the farm. So, now, I go down for a couple days to work. I take a lot more breaks and don't push it. After 2 days, I head home for a couple days and then head back to the farm for a couple more. That works pretty well for me and the fun is back. I'm now working about half time so I'll need to pick it up a bit.

By the way, I do most of the food plot and tree work. Other owners deal with barn maintenance, USDA programs, coordinating with contractors, and other aspects.

Thanks,

Jack

Farms close to home, I'm there once a month, maybe more. I try not to access much of it, trying not to educate the deer too much....Not nearly enough down on the IA farm.

Enjoy every minute of it.

My farm is about 12 miles from my home. I'm there 3-4 times a week.

Having a small farm under 80 acres is a regular part-time job so I can easily see how guys like Steve do it for a living.

I am 3.5 hours from the farm. In January I start to go up once a month, shed hunt clear blown down trees and hinge cut. By mid to late March I am up there every weekend, scouting turkeys, prepping food plots, and chores. By mid May the plots are in and it's time to start heading to the fishing cabin. I head up there at least once a month to spray, check cams and whatever else. Come labor day it's every weekend and 2 full weeks until late December.

There just isn't enough time to do everything. My Dad and my wife tell me I need to slow down, but I just can't and I wouldn't have it any other way. I do get pretty burnt out by December though.

I live a little less than 15 minutes from my property so I'm there once or twice a week. Sometimes it's nothing more than taking the dogs for a walk or having smores over a fire.

I drive 6.5 hrs one way, 404 miles, and do it almost every other week. Way too much work to do down there. I try and cram in 3 days of work in a day and a half before heading home.

6.5 hours each way for me. I am usually up there 1 week at Thanksgiving and Christmas, the last 3 weeks of deer season and probably another 5-6 week long trips scattered throughout the year. When I first figured out I was spending almost 3 months a year up there. Thank goodness I have a non-clingy wife who can entertain herself because she has a real job and cannot go bopping off to the farm but 2-3 times a year.

My land is a little over 3 hours from home when traveling off hours. With traffic and a gas stop it usually takes us around 4. We (wife and kids) try to get up there for at least one or two weekends a month year round.

browndog and others that live on their land, I'm jealous

I couldnt reword it any better then this. This is identical to me!

I am a little over an hour away from my place. I'm there at least once a month throughout the year. Sometimes a quick trip after work or a weekend to just get away and do some work.
Every weekend, sometimes for an extended weekend, and one week during hunting season. A few weekends throughout the year for open and hard water fishing. Shed hunting, hinge cutting, turkey hunting and food plot work during those peak times. So, in reality, I am there quite a bit. I also have friends and family who use it summer and winter.

Like most of you I don't slow down enough to really enjoy it the way it should be enjoyed. There always seems to be something to do. I don't have a tractor and not much in the way of power tools to work with so it's a lot of labor for me, and I'm not getting any younger. I never dreamed that I would enjoy working on the land as much or more than I do hunting though. So many ideas and not enough time or money to do them right now..

1 hr 45 min one way ... we can be up in time for a fish fry on Friday night and back home in time on Sunday for cutting the lawn, wash, groceries, etc.

Have satellite internet so I can handle the business while up there.

We are up almost every weekend all year round ... have actually had to schedule a weekend every month at home to get things done there.

I live on my place.....literally! My residence is on the same 150 acres I work and hunt. It's great in many instances, but it is all roses......sometimes I want that "away from everyone" feeling and I just can't get that. There is a lot of upside however; being able to keep an eye on things, having all your equipment and tools in one spot, no lost time traveling, easy to go check on things or get a quick job/task done, sleep in my own bed every night, things like that.

1 week in spring for habitat work which are 14 hour/day marathons, a few days in the summer and the month of November tree sitting. 2,103 miles away makes it tuff.

Are you serious? What state do you live in and where on earth is the farm!!!!!