Growing Apples From Seed

I looked through the two liter plastic bottle bottoms that I potted the root suckers from by best seed grown trees in and they are filled with roots. I guess it is time to spend the big bucks now and run to Walmart and get some fifty cent blue bags to repot them in. Money is no object in propagating these deer magnet trees! (They really are deer magnet trees. They just put out tons of self-rooting suckers.)

I have 32 small seedlings going into their first winter. A couple have unusual features. Time will tell if it means anything.

One has unusually shaped leaves:
20190919_114935.jpg

Another is very red, so I'm hoping it will have red flesh:

20190919_114948.jpg

I ordered some of these seeds. https://sheffields.com/seeds-for-sale/Malus/sp////Dolgo///5724/Dolgo-Crab-Apple/Dolgo-Crab-Apple

I plan to broadcast the seeds on a limed and tilled up garden area after the snow melts, roll them in, surround the garden with some re-purposed fencing, spray it a month or so later with Clethodim, throw some pine needles over the top to mulch out the weaklings once the strongest seedlings become apparent, and place a rodent bait station next to them in late fall. I'm not trying for perfection with this, rather just going the cheap and easy route to meet my needs for sand hardy rootstock, replacement seedlings, and gift seedlings.

Today I cut 20 root suckers off my favorite seed-grown Dolgo seeding tree. I mounded sand and wood chips over them last spring. They grew their own adventitious roots. They are clones. I will pot them shortly, after they have soaked in water for an hour.

Attachments

• Clones.jpg
    Clones.jpg
    696.7 KB · Views: 25
Today I cut 20 root suckers off my favorite seed-grown Dolgo seeding tree. I mounded sand and wood chips over them last spring. They grew their own adventitious roots. They are clones. I will pot them shortly, after they have soaked in water for an hour.

Very Excellent! Is a 100 percent success rate on those likely?

I'm trying to remember if I had any from that tree last year that didn't survive. I haven't been able to think of any.

I'd guess that about 5% +/- of the seed-grown apple trees here have root suckers that have grown their own roots. I snagged some off a handful of different trees last year. My recollection is that all of them lived through potting and then fall planting. Some of them, I T-budded in August. Those are looking good. What I like the most about them is that they are adapted to my soil.

I see now that it is not obvious in the photo that I cut the root suckers back to where there are just two buds growing above soil level before I pot them. Anyway, I got them potted this evening. In a couple cases, I accidentally broke one bud off. The other one should do okay by itself, I think, though the roots seem to always send up a replacement in case I totally mess up.