Gardening

Whats up with the pop bottles?

They are whirligigs. Cut the sides into vanes, paint with contrasting colors and slip them over a rod, and they'll spin in the slightest breeze. We have a real problem with birds pecking our seedlings when first transplanted, an after that, I just like watching them spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's what summer gardening leads to:
04b0dcced07d888b2dcffbad33005536.jpg

My wife and I have been canning the bounty for almost 28 years of marriage, and today was the start of green bean week.

Man if I had a dollar for every time I saw that image ^^^^^^ as a kid I would have a nice pocket full of cash!

I have a section of everbearing raspberries. The early summer crop was all but done so I spent the last hour or so clipping off all those stems at ground level. The late summer stems are very tall this year with all the rain we've been getting. They will make their first fruit in a few weeks. They will then set their second fruit in the early summer next year after which they get clipped off like the ones I just did today.

If there is one thing I miss about running a garden it's the cherry tomatoes. Sweet 100 is my favorite.

-John

If there is one thing I miss about running a garden it's the cherry tomatoes. Sweet 100 is my favorite.

-John
Cherry tomatoes are my favorite also and the #1 reason I even screw around with a garden. This year I planted these cherry varieties. Super Sweet 100 (improved cousin of Sweet 100), Husky Cherry Red, Black Cherry, and Yellow Pear Heirloom Cherry

Cherry tomatoes are my favorite also and the #1 reason I even screw around with a garden. This year I planted these cherry varieties. Super Sweet 100 (improved cousin of Sweet 100), Husky Cherry Red, Black Cherry, and Yellow Pear Heirloom Cherry
How do you like the others you planted this year? Which one is your current favorite?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Be careful with that super sweet 100. It's extremely vigorous so will need the suckers pruned, and probably a heading prune at some point. I had a couple last year that got completely out of control and produced about 1,000 tomatoes each.

They are very tasty though!

How do you like the others you planted this year? Which one is your current favorite?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I've planted the huskies for several years now and really like them. The fruit is a little bigger than the 100's and the plant size is nice and compact. They are all good but I think these are still my favorite. Wife's favorite is the yellow pear.

Be careful with that super sweet 100. It's extremely vigorous so will need the suckers pruned, and probably a heading prune at some point. I had a couple last year that got completely out of control and produced about 1,000 tomatoes each.

They are very tasty though!
Tell me about it. The 100's and the yellow pear had grown completely out of control for my small tightly spaced garden. A week or so ago I pruned the hell out of them. I swear they would be 10 feet tall if I wanted them to be.

Tell me about it. The 100's and the yellow pear had grown completely out of control for my small tightly spaced garden. A week or so ago I pruned the hell out of them. I swear they would be 10 feet tall if I wanted them to be.

My sweet 100's ended up about 7-8 feet tall before I headed them in August last year. Darn things always split on me first big rain after they start ripening. I put loads of them in the freezer for later use, the skins pop off as they thaw, and I love to add them to soups and chili all winter long.

Last year my 4 year old put in 125 asparagus root crowns along with my help. Here he is backfilling them a little after they emerged.

20160610_171209.jpg

I planted 10 crowns with my parents when I was about 10-12 years old. Now I'm in my 50's , and I think of them every spring when they poke through the soil. It wasn't until seeing your photo that I thought about just how old these plants are.

Thanks guys. Hoping to keep the little ones away from youtube and video games as long as possible. KDdid, it's amazing how many years those old asparagus plants produce for isn't it. An old farm that we're no longer on had fencerows growing with it wild. I liked to help gather it long before I acquired the taste, but now I crave it year round. I tried transplanting about 36 crowns that were all tangled into one giant mass, but a few years have passed and now I encourage anyone to just buy new, improved crowns... so much easier.

Our sweet corn is just starting to come in here in N. IL. My 13 year old nephew from the burbs is still here on his visit, so trying keep him busy with a couple activities a day. This is traited corn, variety Obsession II. It's extremely delicious and the 1st 25 ears have zero bugs so far.

20170804_140028_resized.jpg