Future Stud

The other thing I noticed in the last 2 or 3 pics is the body length. He seems to have the length to turn in to a big stud. I hunt in the ag country near Turtle Lake, WI as well as here in MN, and I would guess because of genetics, all but one of the mature bucks I've taken over there have had shorter, stocky bodies and were well under the 200# mark.

Looks good reguardless of age.

gonna give this thread a bump....with an update on this deer.

unfortunately none of the pics are great...but its more than enough for me to make the call that it is the same deer. His body still doesnt look as old as it "should" to me. he's awfully leggy, and has a very skinny frame overall. still pretty spindly head gear as well...but he's added some inches for sure.

here are some side by side year to year comparisons. Left this year, right last year.

He's a beauty Phil. Glad to see he is still around. That's a good sign he likes it there!!!

He's a beauty Phil. Glad to see he is still around. That's a good sign he likes it there!!!
thanks! he definitely has my attention! last year he showed up in mid october and then was pretty frequent until early december, then he showed back up a few times in late january and february. i never did get a day light pic of him last year until late january. I also was unable to find his sheds. I'm hoping that the lure of the ladies will have him show up during daylight...while i'm in the tree!

Good looking buck, good luck with him!

Definately a 3 or 4 yo shooter to me. Looks like he gained a little length too. He may just not have the genes to get a barrel chest and big belly like some of us.:D

Definately a 3 or 4 yo shooter to me. Looks like he gained a little length too. He may just not have the genes to get a barrel chest and big belly like some of us.:D
thats what i'm thinking...3 yr old that just isnt a bruiser. He's getting an arrow flung at him if given the opportunity.

Why would you shoot that poor young deer :D

Looks like he added a boat load of points. Sideways he looks like freakin honey locust.

He's at the same " scrape limb " as last year's pix isn't he ?? He looks like he gained some good bone and some body size too. He doesn't look pudgy, but he may be running the hills doin' the buck thing !! How are your acorns over there ?? We're loaded in Lyco in many places. If he gets into those acorns, he'll lard-up for winter.

Good luck flinging an arrow at him !!

Looks like he added a boat load of points. Sideways he looks like freakin honey locust.
He sure did! That split G2 on the driver side is a really deep fork! I can't wait to get a better look at the tips of beams and see if he has those little splits again!

He's at the same " scrape limb " as last year's pix isn't he ?? He looks like he gained some good bone and some body size too. He doesn't look pudgy, but he may be running the hills doin' the buck thing !! How are your acorns over there ?? We're loaded in Lyco in many places. If he gets into those acorns, he'll lard-up for winter.

Good luck flinging an arrow at him !!
Yep! He's at the same autumn olive scrape this year as he was last year. I've been using that AO for mock scrapes for a few years now. AO branches are brittle, especially in the cold, and the bucks tend to break them off every year, so each year I pick a new branch and tie it down into position with some paracord. This year's branch has already been pretty well mauled.

Fortunately for me....there are no oaks around most of this area. That means I never have to compete with the seemingly random patterns of acorn drops. I have really thought about adding some hybrid oaks to the property, since they would be the only game in town.

Sent from 25 ft up a tree