What a crock!!!!

Maddog66

5 year old buck +
My wife had some time to kill and stopped at a yard sale out in the middle of nowhere Northern Wi. She met an elderly man and talked with him as she shopped the stuff he was selling after his wife’s passing and a whole lifetime together. She was bawling I’m sure 😂

He got to telling her a story about how they had made their own sauerkraut together and showed her the “kit” they had used for years. It was a ancient hand- made cabbage slicer, a wooden circular cover, a HEAVY porcelain weight, and a 15 gallon Redwing crock with handles. He offered it all to her for $35 and she took it.

It’s all very cool but I got looking at the crock closely and it’s in absolutely perfect used condition. Not a single crack and all of the markings are bright and clear. I attached a few pics below. These are the only markings I see.

Is it possible that the “patent” date (1915) is the date it was made? Does anybody here know something about aging these things? Or value? Is it counterfeit?

Edit: my limited research online leads me to believe it was made for churning butter.

Attachments

• IMG_0585.jpeg
    IMG_0585.jpeg
    254.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0586.jpeg
    IMG_0586.jpeg
    322.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0587.jpeg
    IMG_0587.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0588.jpeg
    IMG_0588.jpeg
    194.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Sell it! no way. Pickles, Kraut,..... your next chapter in life just started

some of those things are worth $

Fact Gjs4!! We are 1000% going to make sauerkraut this coming fall!!!

After more research (aka OCD), I believe the 1915 date is the patent for the handles.

I also learned that the 6” long “wing” printed on the front indicates it’s one of the older models. ….between 1906 and 1930. After that it went to 4”, then 2” long in the latest models from the 60’s.

I see them valued between $600 and $1k for nice ones….if everything above is true. Ones with hairline fractures and chips are $150-200.

***I realize it’s bad form to ask a question and answer it yourself…but I went and did it anyway 😂. My apologies!

But I’ll bet $1 someone on this board knows way more, and I hope they see it and comment !!

I’ll also take a good sauerkraut recipe!!!

Kraut is simple. The way I was taught years ago, shred the cabbage, I use a kitchen aid with a grating attachment. We would put an inch or two in the bottom of the crock, add salt, and tamp it with a wooden baseball bad to "bruise" it. Add about 2 teaspoons of salt to each pound of cabbage. We would just continue this process building up layers till we used all our cabbage or the crock was full. The salt and tamping the cabbage would start making juice. When we finished we would lay a layer of cheese cloth and set a plate on top that we would weight down. When you weight the plate, liquid should cover all the cabbage. We would put the crock in the basement and check occasionally. About 4 weeks later, pack and water bath process. I also knew a guy that make kraut in a 5 gallon bucket. He just kept the kraut in the bucket and ate from the bucket and also gave it away without canning. I don't know if he did anything different, or if it just kept that way.

I shred, add salt at 3.5% the weight of cabbage, then pack in whatever container I'm fermenting in. If the cabbage does not release enough liquid to cover itself, I add a 5% salt water solution to slightly cover. Then add glass or porcelain weights. If I'm not using an air lock of some type, or fancy crock with the water seal rim, I put 5% salt water solution in a Ziploc bag and put that on top, being careful to remove air from between the bag and the top of the liquid in the container. Also eliminate as much air as possible from between the bag and the sides of the container. I try to ferment in a dark place between 60 and 65 degrees. I start checking for flavor around 3 weeks. When I'm happy with it, I transfer it to the refrigerator. I do not can my kraut because I don't want to kill all the good little probiotics in there or damage , through heating, any other beneficial byproducts they produce.

That is an awesome find, too

Caraway seeds….or no caraway seeds in sauerkraut???

Caraway seeds….or no caraway seeds in sauerkraut???
I don't care for them, but if you like the taste, the more diversity in your food the better your chances of getting what your body needs.

Nice find by the mrs!