Dog Freedom

Oleo

A good 3 year old buck
I have a Vizsla that loves to run around. When we’re at the farm house, he tends to stay reasonably close by, but when I’m in the woods working on projects, he likes to venture off all over.

How freely does your dog roam on your hunting property? Does that freedom change over the course of the year (summer vs hunting season)? Does the dog get to come in the woods only when you’re with it?

Only in the woods when I'm with him. Otherwise he's a yard dog.

I had a visla yrs ago. Beautiful and wonderful dog! Lots of energy though!

We let ours roam around the house, he doesn't go far. Consider getting an electronic training collar. If we lose site of him, he will now respond to using the collar and return. He only goes out onto the property with me.

To clarify... my dog has one of those electric shock-ya collars that keeps him in the yard. Works great!

Our dogs won't leave the yard fence unless we are with them. When I go to the woods, they go too. As I am doing work, they wonder quite a distance, but one whistle is all it takes to bring them back. Good girls they are. The goodest girls one might say. 😂😂😂

I am a dictator when it comes to the dogs I have claimed ownership for. A benevolent dictator, but nonetheless a dictator! LOL My dogs were trained from day one that you are not to leave my sight, unless you are told to do so (retrieve a duck/goose) otherwise unpleasant things happen to you! (light electrical reinforcement).

I had to get an e-collar for my husky. Now she will respond just using the page/vibrate function because she knows if she doesn't she will get a little juice. Haven't had to use the shock feature for a long time now. The one I'm using is Dogtra. Works pretty good but haven't tried any other brands of collar to compare it to. Usually just having a collar on after they know they could get a little zap is enough to make them listen better. Husky is the free spirit dog that just wants to run all day. Surprisingly good using her nose---She spent her first year with my yellow lab so I think that really helped to teach her and keep her around. me more than she would have otherwise. Take my dogs out everyday for a couple of hours and let them do whatever out in my one plot and in the woods with me. It's about time to start the tick control again.

My dog has to stay in the house unless he's on a walk, which he gets at least an hour each day. He's a bird dog, so he is on a leash when the law demands it. In the winter, he gets to run around freely in the woods. I generally don't take hime where I hunt.

I've tried to let him run free without supervision, but he just can't be trusted. He knows how to open doors, so he has been known to break into the neighbors' houses, especially if there is a female in heat. Most people don't mind so much, but a couple neighbors do get a bit miffed when a horny Brittany comes wandering into their living room while they're watching TV.

I had to get an e-collar for my husky. Now she will respond just using the page/vibrate function because she knows if she doesn't she will get a little juice. Haven't had to use the shock feature for a long time now. The one I'm using is Dogtra. Works pretty good but haven't tried any other brands of collar to compare it to. Usually just having a collar on after they know they could get a little zap is enough to make them listen better. Husky is the free spirit dog that just wants to run all day. Surprisingly good using her nose---She spent her first year with my yellow lab so I think that really helped to teach her and keep her around. me more than she would have otherwise. Take my dogs out everyday for a couple of hours and let them do whatever out in my one plot and in the woods with me. It's about time to start the tick control again.

I have the same experience. Early on had to use the shock option, but it always came with the beep. The shock function has multiple levels so no worries to using too much, although once or twice he ran toards the road and I had it on full strength ... he doesn't run into the road anymore after the. Now i no longer need to use the shock and the beep function does what I need. When we pull the collar out, he gets excited as it means outside time.

The backyard is fenced in, and we have a XL dog door, so they go outside whenever they want. The only time they go back in the orchard/food plot is with me on a walk. I don't take them when I'm working back there or I wouldn't get much done. We have a chocolate lab and a pair of French Mastiffs now, who all listen very well. The only time we've used a shock collar was with our bloodhound. When he caught a trail he'd forget I even existed. LolPXL_20240128_180811480.jpg

I have a golden retriever named Baretta

She is a velcro dog

I can't imagine habitat work without her

bill

Mine has an e-collar, but it’s amazing how fast he can venture off and when I’m not paying attention. I have an underground fence at home, I should probably get one at the farm too.

My chocolate lab has to be within my eye sight or whistling distance. He was taught that at a young age. Plus he knows not to cross fence lines to our neighbors. I've probably slapped his ass 10 times in six years. Those just to get his attention. Last Sat. morning I was catching up on some much needed rest when I heard him barking. Went outside to see what he was barking at. Told him to go get it and he ran all the way down hill to a tree limb that looked like an animal. If he is with a buddy all bets are off because the other dog doesn't know "my" rules. Most of the time he just lays on the front deck over looking the property on a mattress. I know white trash. Inside he's a couch dog.

This is what happens to dogs that run wild in my neighborhood.

Last Friday at 10:30 am my neighbors dog Buster crawled home with his guts hanging out because a wolf attacked him in the yard.

He has a punctured lung, torn diaphragm, and holes in his intestines. Needs another surgery if he lives.

Attachments

• 72868637649__8D642F3B-84F0-40EC-8378-2D9DC9196560.jpeg
    72868637649__8D642F3B-84F0-40EC-8378-2D9DC9196560.jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6909.jpeg
    IMG_6909.jpeg
    299.9 KB · Views: 20
I would like to get my dogs a nice bed but they destroy everything I give them. Currently waiting on 2 30" round dog beds and I plan to put each one inside an old tire from my truck and tuck the edges in all the way around hoping they won't pull it out and rip it to hell. I DON'T THINK THE BEDS WILL LAST A WEEK BUT WE'LL SEE. Should add that this is in their kennel that has a dog door going into my heated shed---I don't have truck tires laying around in my house just to clarify.

This is what happens to dogs that run wild in my neighborhood.

Last Friday at 10:30 am my neighbors dog Buster crawled home with his guts hanging out because a wolf attacked him in the yard.

He has a punctured lung, torn diaphragm, and holes in his intestines. Needs another surgery if he lives.
Did the dog get away on his own or did something break up the fight?

Thurman the bulldog has a doggy door and is allowed to roam, which he never does because he knows where the food and fireplace is

766A54D0-3CE4-4737-86A3-D53C90107B14_1_105_c.jpeg

It happens in a heartbeat. Lucky little guy somehow got away himself and made it to his house.
Wow. Lucky to be alive after that. Hope he gets better.

And I apologize to the forum for being a Debbie downer. But it’s at the point now where I don’t even remember the days when I could let my dogs run around in an unfenced area or without packing heat everywhere I take them.

I think we had 30 dogs attacked in WI last year. All concentrated where I live….not near the voting blocs of Madison and Milwaukee. Hint hint.