All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crossed over to the other side

Please dont represent bowhunters with a xgun. Stupid easy to master, 3 trigger pulls maybe? I still have to draw, get it? The 3 dudes on my cruise were challenged and i asked for the msn card. If you are able bodied you are simply taking a braindead weapon like a rifle and dumping a buck. Women up and own it.

In my forty's.. Healthy as a horse. Love shooting my Xgun. Nothing wrong with my shoulders.. Nothing wrong with my eyes.. Stronger than most..That makes me lesser of a man than you??? hmmm interesting.

The OLD guard back in the classified modern archery as a huge breech into their club. People said.. compound bows are not archery equipment.

I could careless what anyone thinks about me or what I use hunting.

I am sure NF you use a flintlock with a lead ball. I can't imagine you have an inline muzzleloader.

I am sure NF you have an ash hand carved longbow that you whittled from your hiking excursions. And your arrows are hand turned masterpieces that have real feathers from the birds of Tahiti.

Not.. just like you said.. you use Modern Archery.

Women up and own it?? Classless statement from a person who still thinks women are any less than a man. How about this.. Man up and apologize to any woman that is on here for a completely tasteless comment. Shame on you! Anyone that makes a harsh comment like that really shows their true colors.

Love my crossbow..love my compound bow.. love my modern firearms... I don't judge anyone for how they hunt, they share a passion for which I love. I don't treat people differently or make harsh comments because of their race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or religious beliefs.

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot....What some snob bowhhunters (can't think of a better term) fail to consider is how bad mouthing cross-bow hunters impacts the future of bowhunting.

Hunters in general are attriting and bowhunters probably faster. At the same time, Anti-hunting forces are growing. Both groups are still small compared to the general population. As the Anti-hunters begin to chip away at hunting opportunities, they will focus on the types of hunting they find most objectionable. Bowhunting will be one of the first targets.

The smaller the bowhunting community (and the hunting community in general), the harder it will be to fight against these pressures. Why some bowhunter would want to alienate a fellow hunter and bowhunter by making disparaging comments and name calling is completely beyond me.

I love to see all the folks standing up and posting about how comfortable they are with crossbow use.

Thanks,

Jack

People keep asking why do you care what someone uses? Because I want the woods to myself lol. I want the gun hunters to stay gun hunters... not pick up an arrow gun and go tromping through my acorn flat at first light the first weekend of November because suddenly they are "bow hunters" Everyone talks about how hunting numbers are down but I have yet to see this effect as I have had more competition on public and private property than ever before this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Why do you care? Because I want the woods to myself lol. I want the gun hunters to stay gun hunters... not pick up an arrow gun and go tromping through my acorn flat at first light the first weekend of November because suddenly they are "bow hunters" Everyone talks about how hunting numbers are down but I have yet to see this effect as I have had more competition on public and private property than ever before this year.

This is a more honest answer than most bowhunters proclaimed in my state when crossbows were legalized beyond handicapped folks. There was an initial surge of folks who incorrectly thought hunting with a crossbow was like hunting with a firearm. They quickly learned otherwise. Some older vertical bowhunters switched to a crossbow. Most importantly, many bowhunters were able to introduce their kids to bowhunting at an earlier age. After quite of few years of legalized crossbows, there is no difference in harvest percentage between bows and firearms than before crossbows were introduced.

Thanks,

Jack

Getting close is the easy part, maneuvering for and taking the shot, now there is the challenge. Allow crossbows during the gun and muzzleloader season only and nobody would do it. It's as simple as that!

Maybe compound bows should only have a 9 day season to. I would gladly take that and then we could create an early season for primative wespons...side lock muzzle loaders and non compound bows including cross bows (after all the crossbow predates the wheelie bow). No scopes allowed

I started using a crossbow this year. While I wouldn't consider myself fully scared of heights, I've never felt comfortable standing and shooting a compound from my climbing stand. Using the crossbow makes it easier to shoot while seated, and allows me to feel better about climbing higher in the tree.
Barndog,
Which ever weapon you want to use is fine but I usually shoot my compound while seated in the tree stand. Easier to be still while sitting and when the deer shows up I don't have to make as much movement that can be seen or make the stand creak. Try practicing your bow while sitting in a chair and then good luck with which ever weapon you use. Be safe and good luck

We are all more alike than we are different. We may have slightly different reasons for hunting, but we all share the common bond of the anticipation and excitement of the hunt. We become participants of the natural process of predation. If our prey never shows we at least get to experience another sunrise or sunset under wild skies.

We are all more alike than we are different. We may have slightly different reasons for hunting, but we all share the common bond of the anticipation and excitement of the hunt. We become participants of the natural process of predation. If our prey never shows we at least get to experience another sunrise or sunset under wild skies.

And we have a winner! Dude gets it.

People keep asking why do you care what someone uses? Because I want the woods to myself lol. I want the gun hunters to stay gun hunters... not pick up an arrow gun and go tromping through my acorn flat at first light the first weekend of November because suddenly they are "bow hunters" Everyone talks about how hunting numbers are down but I have yet to see this effect as I have had more competition on public and private property than ever before this year.

Adapt and overcome...or get left behind. Become a better hunter in spite of the adversity.

Far from it. More like slow pitch softball, fast pitch softball, and baseball. Same general game but with some changes in equipment and rules to allow a broader range of folks to participate at a level that works for them.

I don't at all mind harvesting does with my crossbow, but when a mature buck comes into bow range and I have a crossbow, muzzleloader, or firearm in my hands, I really wish I had my compound. I enjoy that higher sense of accomplishment I get from a harvesting a mature buck with a compound bow. That doesn't stop me from shooting or diminish my sense of accomplishment when I harvest a mature buck with another weapon.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good. No matter how perfect one thinks they are, there is always someone better.

Hubris that divides hunters plays into the hands of those who oppose hunting....

Thanks,

Jack
In my forty's.. Healthy as a horse. Love shooting my Xgun. Nothing wrong with my shoulders.. Nothing wrong with my eyes.. Stronger than most..That makes me lesser of a man than you??? hmmm interesting.

The OLD guard back in the classified modern archery as a huge breech into their club. People said.. compound bows are not archery equipment.

I could careless what anyone thinks about me or what I use hunting.

I am sure NF you use a flintlock with a lead ball. I can't imagine you have an inline muzzleloader.

I am sure NF you have an ash hand carved longbow that you whittled from your hiking excursions. And your arrows are hand turned masterpieces that have real feathers from the birds of Tahiti.

Not.. just like you said.. you use Modern Archery.

Women up and own it?? Classless statement from a person who still thinks women are any less than a man. How about this.. Man up and apologize to any woman that is on here for a completely tasteless comment. Shame on you! Anyone that makes a harsh comment like that really shows their true colors.

Love my crossbow..love my compound bow.. love my modern firearms... I don't judge anyone for how they hunt, they share a passion for which I love. I don't treat people differently or make harsh comments because of their race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or religious beliefs.

I guess most guys who have a wad of $50's & $100's at a strip club, think they are good looking and full of charm too ... ;)

I guess most guys who have a wad of $50's & $100's at a strip club, think they are good looking and full of charm too ... ;)

I'm not sure I follow the metaphor. Perhaps I'm thick. I've hunted with a vertical bow for most of my life. I've hunted with a flintlock. I've hunted with modern muzzleloaders. I've hunted with shotguns with slugs and with buckshot. I've hunted with rifles. I've also hunted with a crossbow. I've done spot and stalk, stalking, ground blind, treestand, box blind, ground hunting.

Every form of hunting I've tried has a unique set of challenges and rewards, but they are all hunting. I've never claimed crossbow hunting and vertical bow hunting have all the same challenges and rewards any more than compound bow hunting with sights has the same challenges and rewards as instinctive shooting with a recurve. I'm simply saying that we do more harm than good when demean other hunters because they choose to use legal and ethical equipment and methods that differ from our own.

Thanks,

Jack

Talk about shooting yourself in the foot....What some snob bowhhunters (can't think of a better term) fail to consider is how bad mouthing cross-bow hunters impacts the future of bowhunting.

Hunters in general are attriting and bowhunters probably faster. At the same time, Anti-hunting forces are growing. Both groups are still small compared to the general population. As the Anti-hunters begin to chip away at hunting opportunities, they will focus on the types of hunting they find most objectionable. Bowhunting will be one of the first targets.

The smaller the bowhunting community (and the hunting community in general), the harder it will be to fight against these pressures. Why some bowhunter would want to alienate a fellow hunter and bowhunter by making disparaging comments and name calling is completely beyond me.

I love to see all the folks standing up and posting about how comfortable they are with crossbow use.

Thanks,

Jack
Anti hunters love us fighting with each other. Every time a bow hunter bad mouths crossbows the humane society wins.

I'm not sure I follow the metaphor. Perhaps I'm thick. I've hunted with a vertical bow for most of my life. I've hunted with a flintlock. I've hunted with modern muzzleloaders. I've hunted with shotguns with slugs and with buckshot. I've hunted with rifles. I've also hunted with a crossbow. I've done spot and stalk, stalking, ground blind, treestand, box blind, ground hunting.

Every form of hunting I've tried has a unique set of challenges and rewards, but they are all hunting. I've never claimed crossbow hunting and vertical bow hunting have all the same challenges and rewards any more than compound bow hunting with sights has the same challenges and rewards as instinctive shooting with a recurve. I'm simply saying that we do more harm than good when demean other hunters because they choose to use legal and ethical equipment and methods that differ from our own.

Thanks,

Jack

I didn't get it either Jack. I have no idea what he is trying to say.

I can say that I am not into those type of clubs you described. Not fitting for someone who is a father and a leader in their community. But, if that is the analogy you want to use to xbows. I guess you are entitled to free speech.

They are blast to hunt with and I get the biggest rush out of using them. They are super fast, very accurate. A pain in the rear in a tree stand! You have to decock them every time. They are clunky but I love shooting it. I love shooting my compound bow too. I love shooting!! I encourage anyone wanting to try it, I always let them shoot mine. I got one my friends who only rifle hunted, now using xbows. We are going out tomorrow nite! He has never shot a deer other than with a rifle. I am totally jacked for him to get a deer and he is super excited. It will be a blast!

I didn't get it either Jack. I have no idea what he is trying to say.

I can say that I am not into those type of clubs you described. Not fitting for someone who is a father and a leader in their community. But, if that is the analogy you want to use to xbows. I guess you are entitled to free speech.

They are blast to hunt with and I get the biggest rush out of using them. They are super fast, very accurate. A pain in the rear in a tree stand! You have to decock them every time. They are clunky but I love shooting it. I love shooting my compound bow too. I love shooting!! I encourage anyone wanting to try it, I always let them shoot mine. I got one my friends who only rifle hunted, now using xbows. We are going out tomorrow nite! He has never shot a deer other than with a rifle. I am totally jacked for him to get a deer and he is super excited. It will be a blast!

As for speed, they are only slightly faster than a compound. It is not enough to make a significant difference in compensating for the average ranging error of 30% over a fast compound. In most cases, a faster crossbow translates in to a louder crossbow (all other things being equal). That increases the chances of string jumping. In the early days, I had a manufacturer rep try to claim their very loud crossbows were so fast string jumping was a non-factor. When we laid out the science for him, he just stammered. You need to get close to 1,000 fps before an arrow can beat a deer's reaction time at 20 yards. Back then, crossbows were about the same speed as a high end compound. Today, they still are not close enough for speed to make string jumping a non-issue.

As for accuracy, I see no practical difference between the crossbows I've shot and my compound. In both cases, at reasonable bow range (30 yards or less) I have to shoot arrows at different spots on the target to make sure I don't damage arrows or nocks. The difference is that I need to practice with my compound much more to achieve the same accuracy. At long target ranges, the shorter crossbow bolts lose stability sooner and are actually less accurate.

Other than the obvious shooting form enforcement and the elimination of drawing in the presence of game, the one area where most crossbows have an advantage is in retained kinetic energy at normal bow range. Kinetic energy is mass times velocity squared. Typically, crossbows are as fast or slightly faster than compounds but use a heavier arrow. This generally doesn't matter with a well placed shot on a whitetail sized game. It can make a different on less than perfect shots on whitetail or on larger game. For example, I've had a back side shoulder stop an arrow from my compound bow making for a difficult blood trail where in most cases my crossbow will leave a better exit in a case like this.

The key with teaching a firearm hunter to use a crossbow is to focus on shot distance and placement. Flags marking distance are a great tool for a beginner. Most folks who hunt with firearms and try a crossbow tend to overestimate the weapon. If "feels" like a gun in your hand and your brain tends to revert to previous experience when adrenaline. is flowing.

Best of luck with your buddy!

Jack

I think all of the discussions of crossbow use need to focus on the resource and if the state agency that sets seasons will react fast enough to preserve the resource. I voted against crossbow use for all during bow season last year. I don't feel our DNR can react fast enough to preserve the herd in doe LotteryAreas since all bow hunters have an either sex tag.

With very healthy deer numbers, crossbow use will make no difference. Deer numbers are declining in many areas and pressure on the resource should be the primary consideration.

For the record, I will be hunting with the crossbow for 3 days starting on Halloween. That is probably my only bow hunting for this year. Over age 60 can use a crossbow in this state and Previously I did have a disability permit to use the crossbow. Bad shoulder was and still is a problem.

I have no intention of shooting a deer with the bow, unless something shows up that I just have to shoot.

I want to kill a deer with the rifle. It is my weapon of choice. No Fo may not like it, but.....

I have no problem with crossbows or hunters who use them...where legal, as a weapon of choice, for older hunters, disabled hunters, or hunters with a valid medical reason. To each his own. Here in Mass. they are illegal unless you have a doctor's note. Here's where I do have a problem. I see a lot of fit guys getting notes from their doctors so they can use a crossbow...shoulder problem, back problem, erectile dysfunction, ADHD, whatever excuse they can think of...and I know some of these guys are just fine. They can climb 25' and hang onto a tree with one arm and hang their stand with the other, drag a buck out of the woods, chop firewood, work on their roofs, ride their Harley....yet they can't pull pull back 56 pounds and hold it for a shot. These same guys I then hear talk about crossbow hunting offering no advantage over compound bows. Again...to each his own. But don't blow smoke up my arse.

+1 one love

I find it interesting how the states seem to be ever increasing the means to kill a deer. I'm sure it isn't just Indiana either.

At one time you used a true bow or a shotgun,smoke-pole or handgun. They added HCR (handgun cartridge rifles) a few years ago, then added x-bows 2 or 3 years ago and now this year they allowed essentially 30 caliber rifles as well. I am sort of holding a grudge against the high-powered rifles. More because of the way it was done. First of all it was done thru a legislative process and the not supported by the DNR - politicians should NOT be telling the DNR what weapons are legal to use. Secondly, the state won't let you use them on state lands, though they swear they are safe.....that doesn't make ANY sense.

Anyway, we as hunters are seeing declining deer numbers in many states and yet those states are increasing the opportunity to kill a deer. Bag limits in many cases are already thru the roof and now they are essentially making every tool under the sun legal to use. I'm sure part f it is so they can sell more tags and increase their revenues. I think in some cases its driven by retailers (HCR's sold like crazy and now the X-bow business is the same). I guess my concern is still the fact that it appears that many DNR's are still pushing for further reduction in deer numbers. I don't think they are gaining hunters, you simply have hunters using an expanded array of weapons.

I don't care if you hunt with a club or a bazooka - as long as there is minimal risk to public safety and it's legal it doesn't make you any less of a person one way or another. You want the woods to yourself......own the woods you hunt! Public land is public land - get over it. You want more of a challenge in your hunting then try something that requires a higher level of skill.......you want to "be a man" and hunt bear with a pocket knife you go right ahead. It's gonna talk a hell of a lot more "man" than me to accomplish that! If you need to use hunting to reflect how much of a "man" you are - you got far deeper issues.