All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crossed over to the other side

I agree Tap, I have never understood that. If you don't agree with some people, you are called selfish and all kinds of other crap. I'm against a special season that just happened here in WI and if I voice my opinion about it, I am selfish, blah blah.
Selfish is self-explanatory; opinions are fine & appreciated; desires that infringe or impinge on others is selfish;
H2O Whitetails, qualifier next month of Whitetail Slam (membership still less than 100 in the world) & only hunter to harvest 3 of 4 with Xbow.

Thank you.
For me, there are basically 2 objections to why I don't agree that crossbows should be included in bow season. But let me say again that I don't have anything against crossbows any more than I have anything against firearms...However, neither should be legal weapons in bow season because they aren't bows.
My main objection isn't so much the advanced technology in bow season, my main objection is the slide away from the lesser advanced gear, because the slide shows no signs of abating. If everyone would agree that 'this is as far as we go', then I'd show much less resistance toward crossbows in bow season. But it's easy to see that the current state of weapons will continue to advance. When will the legalization of new weapons cease? It won't. It's depressing that so few hunters, manufacturers, and game departments don't realize where this is all leading. We are killing the "sport"...I hate calling hunting of any kind "a sport". Football is a sport. Killing something is not.
My other objection is the loss of bow season. Yes, we have a season where bows are legal, but it's no longer "archery only". At least not here in Pa.
I don't understand why guys like me are sometimes referred to as "selfish". I've posted on dozens of threads about this issue, and my stance has always been about the season. I'm just trying to protect our season.
It's a shame that a lot of "archery" hunters today have never experienced releasing an arrow with their fingers, or holding the weight of a bow at full draw with their own muscles and not by mechanical advantage.
We've moved so far away from true archery equipment, yet it still isn't enough.
Whatever is legal? No, whatever is rewarding for me.
I have shot archery/bow before; in college PE course; was top archer & got an A.
But I would never try to harvest a deer w/ a 35# pull bow.

I have shot archery/bow before; in college PE course; was top archer & got an A.
But I would never try to harvest a deer w/ a 35# pull bow.
I didn't say anything about "35 pounds", but since you brought up that particular poundage, I'll comment.
"X" pounds does not produce the same KE from one bow to another.
Back in the 1980s, my wife hunted with a 40# Jennings T Star. She shot fingers, fairly light arrows and junk broadheads. She shot right though 3 whitetails and made humane kills. And I'll venture to say that a 35# modern compound, shot with a release, would produce more KE than that old Jennings.
A well placed arrow, with a quality 2 blade head, shot from a 35# modern bow is far deadlier than a poor shot from 60 pounds.
Your college archery course has little to do with Bowhunting but congrats anyway on your top grade.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

40 yards off hand and you can't miss with a crossbow?? wow. I shoot one all the time and I am way better with my compound than a crossbow. Bench shoot a crossbow, different story. 80 yards with a compound that is impressive, no doubt. I would never shoot a crossbow or a compound that far, but I have zero doubt in your abilities. Just too many variables in my opinion to shoot at an animal. Paper??? I would try it, but no sense practicing that far as I would never shoot at an animal, so why even try it. Rifle?? different story. :)
Sorry i was talking crossbow with a field pod rest no reason not to use one. I would never shoot at a deer that far unless it was a follow up shot. I can say that shooting at 80 makes the 40 and 50 yard shots feel like 20. Shooting that far makes me concentrate and helps show form inconsistencies quickly.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Catscratch, Post # 120 - I guess I don't understand your " Gotcha ". I'm not a poacher - I hate them - and yes they're dishonest and unethical. And they'll use whatever weapon they can to kill illegally. My point was that for my area ( region ) of hunting, x-bows would be a smarter choice for poaching, whether it be day or night. I'm not suggesting that eliminating x-bows would stifle poaching. Maybe in other regions of the country, poachers would opt for a more ( promising ??? ) weapon ?

My own opinion is: I won't use a x-bow until I can't pull a regular bow anymore. Then I will go to a x-bow because I like to be out in the fall and enjoy bow hunting too much to give it up. Way too many things to list here as to why I love the fall season and bow hunting !!!

Catscratch, Post # 120 - I guess I don't understand your " Gotcha ".

Slang... meaning "I see what you are saying", "I get your point", "I smell what you're stepping in", "I catch your drift", etc.

I agreed with your previous post 100%. My post was certainly not "I got you in a trap" like I think you may have taken it. No disrespect or implications at all. Just a simple acknowledgement that I understand what you are saying.
:)

Last edited: