Crash Course on GRIN ordering?

How many rootstock are you going to graft with each variety?

I have 25 Ranetka, 25 B118, & 10 G30 rootstock on order for spring '16. I also have roughly 25 Regrafts to do to failed but living rootstock split between B118, Antonovka, & M7.

All these comments about fireblight and nothing about CAR on GRIN.

Thats my study for grin is stricty regarding CAR effects. ;)

I have 25 Ranetka, 25 B118, & 10 G30 rootstock on order for spring '16. I also have roughly 25 Regrafts to do to failed but living rootstock split between B118, Antonovka, & M7.
Why not both B.118 and Ant? I'd go halvesys on an order of 10 B.118 from Grandpa's Orchard or Cummins.

Here's my 2016 Grin Order! Some crabs that I don't often see and some old varieties i'm quite excited about, can't wait to graft these. I have quite a list to gather from ya'll as well. 2016 grafting is gonna be epic!

GRIN_ORDER_zpsuujlwks5.png

Looks good! I'd add Golden Russet, but other than that it looks like an incredible list!

GRIN order is submitted. Now I need to order more rootstock!

Evaluation of CAR and northern hardiness are two primary concerns, as listed.

Good looking list BV. My Golden Hornet has been a fast grower-producer & I have several Hudson's Golden Gems growing nicely on Ant. rootstock. Have a limb graft of HGG from last year that is carrying 3 apples this year. Also have some young Florina and King David trees that are putting on good growth. If you want to get real "oddball" :D I probably will have some extra scion off some of my young Limbertwig varieties that I can share.

Hey Art, what did your GRIN list look like ???

Nearly all of my order is crabs except for one Khazik apple. Canadian crabs from the old Prairie Apple programs, all of the Nevis crab crossbreds, some Elk River crossbreds, and Northland crab. Nevis and Elk River crossbreds are from native Minnesota Ioensis stock. I also remember a Sugar Crab that had a weird number with a different sequence. It might have started with a 1.

If you want to get real "oddball" :D I probably will have some extra scion off some of my young Limbertwig varieties that I can share.

Oh yes, I'd love to get that variety!

Why not both B.118 and Ant? I'd go halvesys on an order of 10 B.118 from Grandpa's Orchard or Cummins.

I have 10 healthy and growing Antonovka, I heard a few folks mention Ranetka, it peaked my interest for something new. Much like G30 over M7.

Has anyone used Red splendor as a rootstock? Lee XRay Shady?

Last edited:
Nearly all of my order is crabs except for one Khazik apple. Canadian crabs from the old Prairie Apple programs, all of the Nevis crab crossbreds, some Elk River crossbreds, and Northland crab. Nevis and Elk River crossbreds are from native Minnesota Ioensis stock. I also remember a Sugar Crab that had a weird number with a different sequence. It might have started with a 1.
I found my list.
six Nevis ionensis crab crossbreds with domestic apples
Kola and another Elk River ionensis crossbred.
Northland crab
Shafer crab
sugar crab
Rescue crab
Anaros (try again, one might have made it. I need to look closely at the graft union)
one Kazak,613975
Trail crab
Linda Sweet crab

I assume you meant me art? Yes I have used red splendor. Nothing producing yet to tell much info though. I t bud a Linda sweet last week

I assume you meant me art? Yes I have used red splendor. Nothing producing yet to tell much info though. I t bud a Linda sweet last week
Last years GRIN order got fouled up, but I still had plenty to graft.

Is there any consensus on age to fruiting with flowering crabs being used as rootstock?
Is there any reason for them to fruit faster than other rootstock?

http://journal.ashspublications.org/content/137/5/333.full.pdf

Here is a link to a paper about duplicates found in the GRIN collection. Some have the same or similar names. Some have completely different names. Sometimes they have same apple tree submitted 4 times under different names. MM.111 rootstock is in there as "Coop 44" and "Red Dijmanszoet". The image below shows the table of matches. Grey rows are 3 or 4 each the same.

T3.large.jpg

Chickenlittle since you seem to be the master of all data on GRIN :) Can you tell me if Adirondack crabapple is listed on GRIN. It is my understanding that it is not patented, but I cant seem to find it on GRIN.

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/display.pl?1394764

If this is what you want, the tree died. You had to include the inactive accession in the search to find it.
How did you associate this info with Adirondack? I see no mention of that as a common name on the link. Strange that this tree in your link died though as it had great disease resistance! Adirondack is reportedly extremely disease resistant as well. Was looking at this one for ornamental purposes only.

Accession names and identifiers
Adirondack
Idtype: UNVERIFIED.
GMAL 387
Idtype: OTHER

Duh!! Sorry my old eyes didnt see it the first 2 times I looked at it! :D

Still odd in that one of the most hearty trees, and I believe tree of the year one year by the National Arboretum isnt alive in the GRIN collection.