Crash Course on GRIN ordering?

CrazyEd

5 year old buck +
Can anyone point me to the best thread or list out the easiest way to order scionwood from GRIN? Or if you have any tips I'd love to hear them.
Thanks

Awesome, thanks Stuart.

Can you find them by commmon name. Let's say I wanted keepsake or some common name variety, is it impossible to find it by name?

Smith Property Management huh? I'm told that Lois Lerner will soon be conducting an audit of that operation. ;)

(Pretty cool Stu)

That's almost as good as the testing going on at the CrazyED Central Sands Apple Research Station.;)

http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/orders.html
http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/acc/acc_queries.html - simple search. best if you want a particular variety, source, etc. Like searching for "pri", "coop" and "co-op" to find all the selections from the PRI.
http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/desc_form.pl?115 - search by characteristic of the apple like bloom info, ripening time, weight, size, tree vigor, fireblight, etc.

I keep a spreadsheet of the the catalog number (PI + 6 digit number) and then order later.

Being rather new to all this and to save me a lot of reading - anyone want to give be the cliff notes on GRIN?

Being rather new to all this and to save me a lot of reading - anyone want to give be the cliff notes on GRIN?
Free scionwood just tell them you are testing.

GRIN is a USDA project to ensure genetically diverse specimens are available to researchers. Apples, pears, grapes, cherries, oats, wheat, ornamental plants, native species. Wide variety available for free. For apples, you can get scionwood for spring grafting, bud wood for summer grafting, and seeds from the wild apple trees they brought back from expeditions to Kazakhstan. For grafting apples, they prefer you get the common varieties from other sources.

Here's the list I found on the GRIN website

Attachments

• Grin Catalog.pdf
    731.4 KB · Views: 53
Are we limited to 6 scion?

25 varieties. 2 sticks of budwood or scionwood each.

The scionwood I received from them last year was great quality and I know for a fact that I got at least one successful graft on each scion variety. Can't believe it's the only government program worth a crap lol

The scionwood I received from them last year was great quality and I know for a fact that I got at least one successful graft on each scion variety. Can't believe it's the only government program worth a crap lol

I agree 100%. Got a nice list ready to order this fall.

I agree 100%. Got a nice list ready to order this fall.
I will order 1 or 2 varieties. Not doing more than 10 grafts this year so with my success rate I probably will graft 15 roots. Will get mine from them I think

Grey - are you planting those at the Allegheny Mountain Research Project ?? :rolleyes: ;)

Grey - are you planting those at the Allegheny Mountain Research Project ?? :rolleyes: ;)

Ahh.......... my reputation grows :D:D.

Received an email this morning that my GRIN order is shipping overnight for delivery tomorrow.
Nice! Whats going to be new in your Orchard? I did some T-budding last week the bark was slipping good and it was super easy

I also got an email from UPS with tracking number. Might need to take a vacation day.

I was looking at older heritage apples some pippin and Pearmain varities.

How are the DR qualities of those? I've heard pretty mixed things on Pearmain, which I'd looked into for Cider.

I've heard great things about Black Oxford, Gravenstein, and Scarlet. 100% I've caught the grafting bug, so I'll most likely do a few multi-trunked trees in our orchard. They're all old (50+ years). they were basically neglected other than trimming dead stuff off. I'll be doing lots of grafting next spring!