College Basketball

I don't like the one and done, but I get it. I want kids to commit to a program and stick with it but what degree is going to get them a better job than being a pro athlete? What degree can they not get at age 30 with millions of dollars in their pocket? The coaches are just fighting for their career and doing whatever they think is best to get a winning record. Coaching jobs come and go very quickly when the team is loosing... Another way to look at it is these one and done kids are taking a spot that a slightly less athletic kid (who has more academic considerations) could be using for 4 yrs to actually earn a degree. To be honest, I doubt many of the one and done kids care about the coursework and education they are getting, someone else who does plan to use it could fill that spot.

I do think the pro leagues should require more education for their rookies. It isn't too much to ask that someone have to meet several qualifications before paying them for a job. If I was the commissioner of the NBA or NFL I would want to end press embarrassments and talk of millionaire athletes going broke shortly after their career. I would require a minimum of a two yr degree in public speaking and personal finance before being accepted to a team/league.

We watched the "I Hate Christian Laettner" ESPN documentary on Netflix last night. I have always been on the Duke hate bandwagon, but he was damn impressive basketball player. He definitely had the skill to back up his trash talking and arrogance, even if it was annoying.

The question is, will we see the exodus of one Tony Bennett from UVa to UW? It is the likely choice for Bo's successor.

That may be true in the immediate future, but if their is any drop-off at all in the program, sooner than later the alumni will demand someone like Bennett, price be damned. I think he will coach at UW before all is said and done.

Believe it or not, I heard Shaka Smart's name being thrown around about a month ago, if Bo were to leave this season. I think that might be why the Longhorns jumped at the chance to lure him away from VCU. It would have been a logical choice as well, given his Bo-like propensity for tenacious defense and the fact he was born in Madison and played his high school ball for Oregon High School.

^^^I've seen Smart's name thrown around also, but I don't see him leaving Austin for Madison (I sure wouldn't :))
I would agree with that stu, he's got a good gig there in Texas and I'm certain it pays better than Madison. He might not be under quite as much scrutiny in Austin as he would be in Madison, at least out of the gate. Texas hasn't won a Big 12 Championship since like '06, so as long as he has them moving towards that goal he might have a few years before he needs to produce. If he(or any other coach for that matter) comes to Madison, he will be expected to win Big 10 Championships out of the gate(or at least put them in the game to give them a possibility to win them).

Wonder what buckys odds of a nt return? Haha

Couldnt tell you about Bucky, but I am wagering the Husker Ladies start strong and finish strong if they stay healthy. Men will start out so so, because they are young but they will get better as the season progresses.

Bo Ryan retired, effective immediately. Wonder why during the season.

It may have had something to do with the fact that Bo led on that his decision to stay was somewhat based on the fact that Gard's father was diagnosed with cancer last year and he knew that it would be hard for Gard to manage being there for his father and fulfilling the Head Coach duties as well. Once Gard's father passed away and things were in order, Ryan felt he could step away and Gard would be fine.

Badgers are very young. Will take some lumps early. Should be improved by March. No final four but a win or two in the tourney shouldn't be a surprise. Young guys have potential.

Looks like you had the Badgers pegged. They're playing some pretty good ball right now. They beat MN last night and are now tied with MSU for 2nd in the Big Ten.

One has to believe Gard will get the interim tag removed.

They will have trouble with the Boilers bigs as Bucky is not very big.

The Boilers are frickin huge. They dwarf a lot of people on the floor.

Wow! Big shot. Badgers to the Sweet 16.

I'll take hard work,grit and character any day. No one saw this coming.
I saw frank the tanks parents today at church and they were still sporting the cardinal and white.

I'll take hard work,grit and character any day. No one saw this coming.
I saw frank the tanks parents today at church and they were still sporting the cardinal and white.
Isn't Frank from Downers Grove Il ? Are you going to church south of the boarder ?

Isn't Frank from Downers Grove Il ? Are you going to church south of the boarder ?
Actually lisle, il. Right next to dg. St Joan of arch chargers!!
On W to the sweeeeet 16!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ho. Lee. Fuk. What a win

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been watching Bronson hit game winning shots for 7 yrs now. Hes a good guy and represents Lacrosse very well.

My youngest daughter was a year ahead of him and knew him in high school.